The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 09:58 PM

POST ID # = 1015795
Newbuilder1 Reputation: 10
Default 280x erratic case fans turning on an off.

Hi everyone, I have a corsair 280x case with two of the fans that came with it in the front of the case here are my specs

MSI MPG Z390M Mobo
2080ti asus trix OC
32gb ram - corsair dominator
h115i AIO
two tiny 60mm in the back of the computer.

For some odd reason my two case fans cannot hold a steady fan speed.
Sometimes it's just system fan 2 that goes from idling at 900 to 0 and then spikes up to 1500. I just updated the Bios and it did not fix this.

When I put both system fan 2 and 3 on PWM instead of DC they jump up and down and turn off for a second and back on.. super weird.

The two 60ms that are connected to a splitter stay at a steady current.

Even when i put the system fans to stay at a constant speed they just cant. here are pictures. Seems liek sytem fan 3 is staying steady but only on DC
system fan 2 just doesn't work properly. Could it be i was sent two bad fans?

https://ibb.co/tcCbdk5
https://ibb.co/4MmCbLd
https://ibb.co/9WbX44g
https://ibb.co/8j9pVh8

https://ibb.co/L9sg1FD
Also corsair sees a fan #4 but I do not have one

Here are some pictures

Last edited by Newbuilder1; 08-26-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1015804
DevBiker Reputation: 88

Where are fans connected and what is the source for their fan curve?
Also, these are PWM fans. They should be set to PWM mode.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:42 PM

POST ID # = 1016046

They are connected straight into the MOBO into system fan 2 and 3. Source of their fan curve is within the bios of the MOBO. I will set them to PWM however they remain erratic .

Old 08-29-2019, 02:09 PM

POST ID # = 1016051

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Here is a new picture

https://ibb.co/yRG6Fwt.

Also when i go to board explorer in the bios it shows the connections turning on and off

Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1016105

The "source" of the fan curve isn't "within the BIOS" though I understand what you are saying there - what I mean by "source" is the source temperature - what temperature drives the fan curve.

That said, even though iCUE shows the fan speeds, it doesn't control them. The motherboard does. And it looks like the source of your fan speed is the CPU temperature. Modern CPUs are very spiky with temperatures and will do the same to your fans. Many BIOSes now have a hysteresis feature - a timeout before fan speeds change - to mitigate the jumpiness of the fans.

So - you need to look in your BIOS and the BIOS settings. It may be worthwhile to post on an MSI-specific forum where they'll be more familiar with your BIOS and the terminology used in your BIOS.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:21 AM

POST ID # = 1016108

Quote:
The "source" of the fan curve isn't "within the BIOS" though I understand what you are saying there - what I mean by "source" is the source temperature - what temperature drives the fan curve.

That said, even though iCUE shows the fan speeds, it doesn't control them. The motherboard does. And it looks like the source of your fan speed is the CPU temperature. Modern CPUs are very spiky with temperatures and will do the same to your fans. Many BIOSes now have a hysteresis feature - a timeout before fan speeds change - to mitigate the jumpiness of the fans.

So - you need to look in your BIOS and the BIOS settings. It may be worthwhile to post on an MSI-specific forum where they'll be more familiar with your BIOS and the terminology used in your BIOS.
ah okay i understand.. even when i have a consistent load like playing fortnite the third system fan is still having an issue. is it normal for the pump to spike too?

https://ibb.co/Ss5Bw1s

Old 08-30-2019, 10:04 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1016151

Anything to do with your fans needs to start with the motherboard controller and its settings.
As for the pump spiking - it likely isn't. It looks like it is because the range of the graph is dynamic based on the values charted. If the range is only 100, then any small variation looks like a huge blip.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:40 PM

POST ID # = 1016233

The first batch of pictures I sent are the only options for controlling fan speed and such

Old 08-31-2019, 12:06 AM

POST ID # = 1016239

Quote:
Anything to do with your fans needs to start with the motherboard controller and its settings.
As for the pump spiking - it likely isn't. It looks like it is because the range of the graph is dynamic based on the values charted. If the range is only 100, then any small variation looks like a huge blip.
Is it possible that these two fans are dying? They both were working well in the past, i noticed this problem more recently however, I did remember seeing the fan ports turning on and off in the hardware explorer ( it's a picture of the motherboard and you can see the fan ports blinking on and off )

Old 09-15-2019, 12:20 PM

POST ID # = 1018285

Quote:
I believe you’re wrong. Even though my motherboard has 4 pins the fan connectors are only 3 pin and everything I’ve read online says 3pins should be set to DC