Corsair Community

Corsair C650M PSU & RTX 2080 Super?

Rivereyes

Hi all,

Quick question : I've been using my CS650M with a GTX 1080 for years without issue. Now I purchased a 2080 Super and it has both an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector (the 1080 only had a single 8 pin). The PSU has only one PCIE 6+2 connector on it.

Am I doing something criminally wrong or do I need a different PSU with 2 X PCI 6+2 connectors on it? Currently, all other PSU slots are occupied by SATA & Peripherals and the only free one is a 4+4 CPU socket.

I have not opened my PC case in ages and I feel like a ridiculous n00b at the moment, any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Forgot to mention : the one 6+2 cable that runs from my PSU has this molex Y shaped thingummajig, that blends two six pin connectors into an 8 pin head. Now all these years, I had 6+6 connected and they outputted to a single 8 pin.

No issues.

I also have a couple of 2 pin 'tiny cables/floaters' that I suspect are there so that I can craft a 6+2 and then use the other 'whole' 6, exactly for the type of bind I'm in.

Every time I stuffed the 2 pin into the 6 pin molex though, the PSU would just make a dumb GIC sound and refuse to turn on. I'm either connecting the grounding or am doing some other act of extreme middle aged idiocy.

I highly suspect that I just need to buy a PSU that provides a 'native' 8 pin and 6 pin without the use of Y cables or molexes or whatever but just for my peace of mind...what's the deal with the 2 pin floaters? Am I total idiot? Should there be some indication for grounding?

*typed sadly back on the 1080*

...and this is what I get for posting with less than 2 hours of sleep.

Essentially, the GTX 1080 is connected like this

https://imgur.com/a/OJC94bQ#wgrNW4V

I have no idea why that molex-looking Y piece is there, pulling an 8pin connector out of two 6 pin ones.

Theoretically, I should get rid of it, install the 2080 and then use one 6 pin and somehow put the other 6+2 pin one together, to form an 8 pin and just stick those in, minus the Y piece, correct?

I’m not an expert but I think in that picture you posted is this.

The GPU has a certain current draw so you gotta give it a certain amount of power.

Now your two seperate black cables coming from your power supply into the Y connector, they each carry a certain amount of power from the PSU. By joining them with that Y cable your giving that GPU more power than just the single cable. Just like later GPUs have the 8 pin and 6 pin sockets, they need more power so the6 need to get it from two seperate rails in the PSU.

I’m pretty sure that’s how it works.

So yes, you can remove that Y cable and just connect one black cable directly to your GPU, but only if you know your PSU can deliver enough power from the one rail.

• Corsair Employee
We would highly recommend you use a power supply that allows for two completely different PCIe cables to be utilized from the PSU to power your graphics card and NOT use any sort of adapters. The 20-series cards are very power hungry and the use of adapters can cause stress on connections that are not meant to such high load and amp draw constantly. Using connectors and adapters that are not mean for their intended purpose you not only risk damaging your power supply but also your graphics card.