Corsair Community

X-Series Fioormware update questions.

Cadencia

If that's true, I am pleased - my SSDs have been supporting TRIM all along, and all my concerns have been unfounded. I think it would be nice to have it confirmed by a Corsair rep. Is it new knowledge, or something I've just missed whilst trawling the forum? I've been following pretty assiduously over the past few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Done thanks for the reminder!

There is also firmware 2.1 out now (update the thread again? lol). I just received my X64 yesterday and it states fw 2.1, 100% health and TRIM support on CrystalDisk! Awesome!

I would also like to commend you for your quick responses and forum support! Getting the upgrade tool out there, even in beta form was a very good decision, do not regret it.

There is also firmware 2.1 out now (update the thread again? lol).

Yes Versions 1.1 or 2.1 is the same as 1.0 or 2.0 version just a slightly different BOM or Build.

But the firmware version is the same.

Already covered.

Hello

The pictures in front of the Thread are a little bit tricky the "lower case" is Up and the "upper case" is lower.

I Think this is the reasoon why i can´t update my ssd with upper.exe wich is downloadable in first and the lower.exe in the 2nd.

I think it will be more on-topic to post this question in this thread than in the "success or failure" thread.

Having failed to update my X128, I have returned it for a factory reflash. All being well I expect to get it back in the next 3-10 days.

I understand from earlier in this thread that it will be returned to me without data (that's OK, I wiped it with the Acronis cloning utility when I imaged its contents to the spinning drive).

My question is whether the drive will be returned to me in optimum condition, or should I do something else to wipe it or prepare it before using Acronis to re-image the contents of the boot drive? Please understand I'm not implying anything derogatory about Corsair here, just that all this wiping vs deleting stuff is new territory for me.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

• Corsair Employee

Stewart1,

No problem at all, and I would suggest that you use Parted Magic to wipe the drive then quick format it and then test it with ATTO. The update will not align the partition so you must still go through that process as if it were a new drive especially if you did not use Parted magic, HDD Erase, or G-Parted to wipe the drive. I have not done any testing with ATTO's wipe utility so I am not sure if its destructive for SSD's or not.

Thanks RG. Is there a thread anywhere with instructions for "aligning the partition"?

Edit: had a look around the forums and people seem to be saying that alignment is not necessary with Win 7. Confused now.

Edit again: Unless someone tells me otherwise, I intend to try this, from RG's advice to another user:

I would suggest using Acronis to make and image of the drive (if you are using Windows) then use Parted magic to Wipe the drive under tools select Erase Disk and Secure Erase and then, install the drive on the system you will be using it as a second HDD and format it with the QUICK Option Only and 4K Allocation then test it with Atto again to be sure its running properly then delete the partition and image the drive back to its original image and you are done.

I am assuming from this and from other comments that Windows 7 will take care of the "alignment".

• Corsair Employee

Stewart1

Windows 7 should not have any issues with SSD's but you can format the drive with 4K or 32K allocation and it will be aligned. Or just let it do it automatically but only with Windows 7.

Where am I going wrong?

I'm booting from Win98SE and selecting start computer with cdrom support. At which point I change the drive letter to the USB drive and run lower32 (what I need to run for my drive).

It asks me if I want to find the drive, I press Y. It finds the drive, num 1 a 32gb corsair X32 rev 1.0.

I tell it to flash by putting 1 in and it says "Firmware download failed GOOD BYE !"

WTF?

It's not even attempting to flash the drive and the drive is working fine as I am on it now running Vista.

Just tried again and I think it worked.I switched the SSD to another channel.. I have to grab Crystal again to see if the firmware is on there as my other drive is disconnected..

Ooo ! nice one.. It seems to have worked :D

Dear RAM GUY respectively Yellowbeard,

after all the problems and the issues regarding the X128 Firmware update I lost track on what is going to happen with the firmware update tool for the X-series SSDs. I am completely lost. Does Corsair still work on an official update procedure for the X-Series SSDs or is the only way in the end to go through the pains taking update process as mentioned here or getting directly an RMA from Corsair to flash the drive at the manufacturing side?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid or may have posted somewhere else, however I am not sure if I should react now with my two SSD or better wait and see what's on the horizon?

Thanks for your support!

Rgds

Austin

BTW: You guys are doing an icredible job. I have to put my great respect to you. From someone, which knows to be in support

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I updated the info in the first post. One of our engineers passed this on to me yesterday.

New here how can I tell what firmware is installed in my SSD.. been a bit concernd re the speed and a couple of months ago I wyped the SSD an reinstalled from backup.. speed seemed to increase..Thanks

New here how can I tell what firmware is installed in my SSD.. been a bit concernd re the speed and a couple of months ago I wyped the SSD an reinstalled from backup.. speed seemed to increase..Thanks
See the first post for your answer.

Archived