Corsair Community

Dell Optiplex 780 Ram upgrade

DougRemy

I have replaced a lot of RAM over the years and have never run into a brick wall as I have with this upgrade.

Working on a Dell Optiplex 780 MT system. It has Windows 7 64 bit installed on it and per Dell is able to run 16GB of RAM.

I purchased CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 upgrade kit... 4 4GB modules.

Installed all 4 and got error code 3 and 4 on a failed startup which indicate RAM failure/issue

Removed all 4, installed 1 into slot 1... same issue. Tried all 4 modules in Slot 1. Moved on to Slot 2-4... same issue... code 3 and 4 no matter how I install them or how many I install.

Spoke with Corsair tech service to confirm the memory was proper for the system (just to make sure I did not make an error) and they confirmed that it should work without an issue.

BIOS is upgraded, all drivers are upgraded... have hit a brick wall at this point.

Have gotten 1 bad module in kits in the past, but can not imagine getting 4 bad modules.

Confirmed with Dell that the system will handle the memory... no issues.

:sigh!:

• Corsair Employee

According to the Dell OptiPlex 780 Technical Guidebook only DDR1333 would be supported and only on the MT model.

All other models will support DDR1066 only.

And our memory configuration tool only has this system supporting DDR3 1333 memory. So I dont know who you spoke to but our Tech support would not have told you this memory was supported on an OEM system. I would speak with the reseller and see if they will let you return these and see if you can purchase the memory directly from Dell in this case.

• Corsair Employee
We only list 8 gig sets for that system, so I am not sure what we can do yes it should be compatible looking at the specs of your system but unless we have it specifically listed on our Memory configuration tool there is not a lot we can do. I am sorry but please try the reseller and see if they can help you with this.

• Corsair Employee

It may not but you can try it.

I suspect that this system will not post with our modules but if you do try it I would remove all of the memory and turn the system on with no memory installed. Then when it beeps or blinks for no memory detected unplug the system and install one of our modules and turn it on and go right to BIOS setup and load setup defaults, if it boots and lets you to the BIOS there is a good chance it may work but if it will still not post I would proceed with getting memory from Dell.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived