The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 PM
jdj9's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1004695
jdj9 Reputation: 10
Default Issue with Corsair Strafe RGB - Bios Mode

Hello.

I recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, ram, cpu and my Strafe RGB automatically enters in 'Bios Mode' and the scroll lock key is blinking during boot ONLY. After passing bios screen the blinking stops and it enters into normal mode and the keyboard operates without any issue.

This did not happen before with my previous build (VII Ranger motherboard).

I looked around and i found that you can enable/disable the bios mode by pressing F1 and Windows lock key on top right.

I don't really mind that the scroll lock is blinking during boot but why does it automatically enters bios mode during boot? My problem is that i CANNOT enter bios when the scroll lock is flashing. The only way to enter the bios, is if i press F1 + Windows lock key and then DEL or F2 key VERY quickly before leaving bios screen.

I also tried to reset the firmware by pressing the ESC key and plugging the USB to the mobo. I don't believe it worked since the iCue software says that the keyboard is running the latest firmware.

Basically, i just want to enter the bios like i always did, without having to do that key combo, which was never needed before.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:45 PM
luizvictor's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1006036
luizvictor Reputation: 10

I cannot make it blink. It only blinks when windows is running, when I restart the computer, it lose the config.
Quite Strange.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:15 AM
jdj9's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1006496

Come on gurus, please help me :)

Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1006812
Corsair Calico Jack Reputation: 10

This keyboard only has RGB lighting when connected with iCUE. It has always been the case that when iCUE has not booted and windows is loading, the keyboard will revert to it's hardware mode, which is what you are referring to as "Bios" mode.

The difference is probably just a change in USB chipset on the motherboard, and how it boots USBs. You likely cannot change it.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 PM
luizvictor's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1006836

So I cannot make it work with BIOS...

Old 06-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1006917
Corsair Calico Jack Reputation: 10

Not on that keyboard. You can only get RGB lighting without iCUE when using most of our more recent models of keyboard. We do make the Strafe RGB MK2. This one would have RGB while the computer is booting.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:08 PM
luizvictor's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011538

I was discussing about the blink of indicating bios mode.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:44 AM
caqo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1012453
caqo Reputation: 10

I have the same issue. I cannot enter BIOS, since keyboard is not recognized bios BIOS.

This happens to me since I upgraded my motherbord from chipset Z370 to Z390 (see my pc specs)

Luis, what Motherboard do you have now?.

Jack: we are talking when you start the computer while BIOS ask to press del to enter bios, at that stage scroll lock key blinks untill windows load the driver, or USB Drivers.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:36 AM
luizvictor's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013347

I have a Gigabyte Z270 Aorus Gaming 8.

I dont know what happened, i only can make the scroll looking (supposed to be bios mode) when it is windows. When it restart, it simply do not flash.

It is very annoying issue.

I am have both tickets open. in US support and BR support.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:15 PM
lap0918's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013400
lap0918 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdj9 View Post
Hello.

I recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, ram, cpu and my Strafe RGB automatically enters in 'Bios Mode' and the scroll lock key is blinking during boot ONLY. After passing bios screen the blinking stops and it enters into normal mode and the keyboard operates without any issue.

This did not happen before with my previous build (VII Ranger motherboard).

I looked around and i found that you can enable/disable the bios mode by pressing F1 and Windows lock key on top right.

I don't really mind that the scroll lock is blinking during boot but why does it automatically enters bios mode during boot? My problem is that i CANNOT enter bios when the scroll lock is flashing. The only way to enter the bios, is if i press F1 + Windows lock key and then DEL or F2 key VERY quickly before leaving bios screen.

I also tried to reset the firmware by pressing the ESC key and plugging the USB to the mobo. I don't believe it worked since the iCue software says that the keyboard is running the latest firmware.

Basically, i just want to enter the bios like i always did, without having to do that key combo, which was never needed before.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
I noticed this exact same issue when I built my Ryzen 3000 PC. I used this same Strafe RGB keyboard on my SkyLake build and my Ryzen 2000 build and did not have this issue with them. The only way I found I was able to use the Strabe RGB keyboard to enter the bios setup and use the keyboard within the bios setup was to boot into Windows, press the lock button and F1 button simultaneously to enter "bios mode", and then reboot. This allowed me to enter the bios normally and use the keyboard within the bios setup screen. You can then exit bios mode on the keyboard once you boot into windows again. As a helpful hint to anyone who needs this, when entering bios mode on the keyboard, you should notice the entire keyboard flash once and the scroll lock LED with begin to flash continuously. You should also hear the Windows sound for loading a new USB device.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:10 PM
videodj's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013416
videodj Reputation: 10

I have an Asus Maximus Hero X and my Strafe RGB does not work in the Bios, even when I put it in Bios mode. It is connected to my pc via a hub, which I have tried in both usb 2 and 3 ports ( I have legacy enabled in Bios). My Corsair M65 pro rgb also does not work in the bios.

I have a logitech wireless keyboard plugged into the same hub and that works fine in the Bios.

Last edited by videodj; 08-01-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:18 PM
jdj9's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013606

I don't think there is solution to this. If i want to enter the bios i just press F1 and windows lock key before even restarting and then i press Del to enter bios. After exiting bios i press again F1 + win lock key and it goes back to normal operation. These new mobos don't seem to like these keyboards, so at least this workaround works. I got used to it, besides i dont enter bios often so the heck with it. :P

Old 08-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Latharion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013613
Latharion Latharion Reputation: 120

I recently encountered the same issue (my keyboard stopped reverting to "hardware mode" when booting, thus preventing me from entering my BIOS. I have a K70 RGB Rapidfire (original, NOT Mk.2) and this issue did not occur until I updated the firmware at iCUE's suggestion.

If Nick from Corsair is reading this, I made the same mistake in phrasing as the OP. I mistakenly refereed to "hardware mode" as "BIOS mode".

Also note that the K70 has a hardware switch on the side that is capable of forcing the keyboard into "compatibility mode" which is basically the lowest polling rate setting used for compatibility with certain OSes or systems that may have difficulty reading the keyboard inputs at higher polling rates.

What I discovered is that when I move my hardware switch all the way to the left (compatibility mode), then I can enter my BIOS. This is absolutely not an ideal solution because the switch was never designed to be moved back and forth often (it's a bit small and flimsy, obviously designed to be set for specific cases and not for constant switching use). Apparently some keyboards (like the Strafe) can mimic this option using a key press combination.