Corsair Community

Corsair Link Detecting More Temp Sensors & Abnormally High Temps

CarlosL91

Hi everyone! Thank you for taking the time in reading my situation I am faced with Corsair Link.

I am reporting to have higher than usual temperature readings on my motherboard sensors. It appears that Temp #1, temp #6 and temp #11 are the ones reporting the highest temperatures while all the other temperatures are okay (my opinion).

I provided my google drive link for the images related to my problem. If this is a problem on how I am sharing documents/images...please let me know the proper way of providing the community the right way.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WImBZKKdqZ6QPfc9UfOcHTb4DVRGdffa?usp=sharing

Programs aiding me to believe something is wrong:

Corsair Link - Version: 4.9.9.3

iCUE – Version: 3.17.94

CPUID HWMonitor – Version: 1.40.0 Driver Version: 148

My computer specs are as followed:

Motherboard: Z170-Deluxe

BIOS/FW Version: American Megatrends INC. 3801, 3/14/2018

CPU: Intel i7-6700k LGA1151 Overclocked @ 4.6 with AI Suite 3 (5-way optimization)

Memory: Corsair 16 GB DDR4 Platinum 3200 MHz

HDD: Corsair Force LS Series 960 GB 2.5-Inch SSD

Monitor: ASUS MG MG278Q 27" Screen LED-Lit Monitor Connected via Display Port

Power Supply: RM 750x Fully Modular

Network/Lan: Version Fios 1Gb up/down via CAT 6 Cable

Other Hardware: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Related Driver(s): GeForce Game Ready Driver: 431.60

I have had this computer running for almost 3 years with a GTX 970 graphics card hoping that eventually I would upgrade to a more dominant graphics card. Recently I did invest in a new card, EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming 11GB GDDR6. Installation was easy and smooth and no problems whatsoever. I at then wanted to know how my temperatures were doing and started noticing these drastic numbers compared to everything else. At the point I was uncertain if this had happened due to the new card installed… I have always had Corsair Link installed on my computer for the last 3 years and I would have identified the temperatures way before this…but I am now concern in keeping my motherboard healthy.

Please see Temps.png for my first time seeing these temperatures…which led me to install iCUE and CPUID for confirmation on temperatures.

I also have noticed that sometimes I do not see as many Temp sensors via Corsair Link…please view Temps 2.png

Update:

I also have noticed that when I exit out of Corsair Link I go from having:

13 Temp #down to 7

11 Fan # down to 6

I have already cleaned out the computer to make sure any dust particles are clear of the motherboard and made sure everything was connected properly and tightly.

I have taken out the graphics card and removed it from the computer and ran the computer with no graphics card and remained having drastic high numbers. (temp and number of fans/sensors).

I have reinstalled Corsair Link thinking that could be the cause of detecting faulty numbers. No changes detected.

I do use AI Suite 3 and have done the 5-way optimization…I have also set everything back to normal to see if temperatures would change…still drastic temperatures on the few sensors.

I am also attaching 3 pictures of my motherboard inside for you to see it is a clean setup and not just thrown together (my opinion of a clean setup). Please view IMG-5597.

In conclusion: I just want to ensure that everything in my computer is working well and not harming my computer. Any suggestions on programs to monitor my computers health correctly would be greatly appreciated. Thank you once again and I hope someone knows whats going on. Any other information I can provide about my PC, please ask and I will provide as soon as I can.

Bests,

Carlos.

Yes, you don't have 13 different motherboard sensors or 11 fans in your system. Link has a habit of duplicating motherboard specific sensors with Asus boards often being the most troublesome. It does change from boot to boot as it picks up what it thinks are more sensors. That behavior was never really solved and still exists in iCUE today. I notice you are also running iCUE (which was the merger of Link and CUE for peripherals). You don't need to be. If you only have the H100i v2 and the RAM, Link is probably a nice light background program. If you have RGB fans/strips or Corsair keyboards + mice, then you may as well used the combined program and uninstall Link.

The second thing to be aware of is running multiple monitoring programs usually causes them to step on each other and report back garbage values (227C, 0C, -6C, etc). CPUID is the base for what iCUE/Link use, so that is less problematic... or at least it appears to be. AIDA, HWiNFO, etc. will usually run into difficulty. Just be aware. No need to run multiple programs. If you want to check another, quit the first before launching, including things the Corsair.service, etc. Not just the app.

• Confused 1

Yes, you don't have 13 different motherboard sensors or 11 fans in your system. Link has a habit of duplicating motherboard specific sensors with Asus boards often being the most troublesome. It does change from boot to boot as it picks up what it thinks are more sensors. That behavior was never really solved and still exists in iCUE today. I notice you are also running iCUE (which was the merger of Link and CUE for peripherals). You don't need to be. If you only have the H100i v2 and the RAM, Link is probably a nice light background program. If you have RGB fans/strips or Corsair keyboards + mice, then you may as well used the combined program and uninstall Link.

The second thing to be aware of is running multiple monitoring programs usually causes them to step on each other and report back garbage values (227C, 0C, -6C, etc). CPUID is the base for what iCUE/Link use, so that is less problematic... or at least it appears to be. AIDA, HWiNFO, etc. will usually run into difficulty. Just be aware. No need to run multiple programs. If you want to check another, quit the first before launching, including things the Corsair.service, etc. Not just the app.

Thank you c-attack for your knowledge and helping me understand. My assumption is that everything is running properly and should not worry about this abnormal values.

Thank you for telling me about iCUE...I agree...too taxing for what I am using it for... my keyboard, mouse and headset are all in conjunction with Logitech G-hub.

Would you recommend continuing using link or CPUID(the one I have installed)?

I agree Link is better for solely monitoring the cooler. With the fans on the cooler’s fan controller and using coolant temp as the control variable, Link does not have to be running at all. So the monitoring choice likely hinges on what you are interested in. For daily non-specific issues, the coolant and cpu temps you get through Link can identify both problems and help you understand how other heat sources (GPU, case temp) affect general cooling. If there is a motherboard specific value (VRM, PCH temp, etc) you are trying to keep an eye on, then one of the other full spectrum programs may be useful.

The one thing I did notice in the background is your Vcore appears to reach the 1.40-1.41v level. This is a lot for 4.7GHz, although I suspect the voltage is on auto and managing itself. This was a pretty big flap when Skylake launched and stress tests could reach the mid 90s right out of the box with “default settings”. If your cpu temps are ok, then it isn’t a real issue. However, it is likely possible to lean out the voltage and drop cpu temps further.

I agree Link is better for solely monitoring the cooler. With the fans on the cooler’s fan controller and using coolant temp as the control variable, Link does not have to be running at all. So the monitoring choice likely hinges on what you are interested in. For daily non-specific issues, the coolant and cpu temps you get through Link can identify both problems and help you understand how other heat sources (GPU, case temp) affect general cooling. If there is a motherboard specific value (VRM, PCH temp, etc) you are trying to keep an eye on, then one of the other full spectrum programs may be useful.

The one thing I did notice in the background is your Vcore appears to reach the 1.40-1.41v level. This is a lot for 4.7GHz, although I suspect the voltage is on auto and managing itself. This was a pretty big flap when Skylake launched and stress tests could reach the mid 90s right out of the box with “default settings”. If your cpu temps are ok, then it isn’t a real issue. However, it is likely possible to lean out the voltage and drop cpu temps further.

Thank you again for your input...I started to look at my vcpu and you are correct it is on an automatic setting...watching for a few minutes while being the computer mostly on idle...besides on discord... my value are fluctuating from .9 - 1.2 and sometimes popping up to 1.4

I ended up keeping CPUID and Link...not running them simultaneously or having them startup with the computer.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...