Corsair Community

Corsair PSU cables too short for 700D?

jhilgeman

I got the 700D case and the TX750W PSU to start. Then I noticed that the power cables were WAAAAAY too short.

The SATA cables didn't reach the HDD chassis unless I unscrewed the PSU and pushed it in a few inches (which leaves a gaping, ugly hole in the PSU opening). Then the EATX12V cable didn't reach, either.

My motherboard has the EATX12V plug at the top near all the rear connectors, and the only way to get it to reach is to literally turn the PSU slightly and run the cable over the side edge and straight to that cable, which is ugly as sin.

I figured that maybe the HX1000W would have longer, better cables, so I plopped down $240 to pick it up, only to find out now that the power cables are the same length, and the SATA cables are even shorter!!!

Am I doing something horribly wrong? The EATX12V connector aside (which could just be a motherboard issue), the fact that the drive chassis would be barely out of reach of the 1000W PSU's SATA cables seems pretty ridiculous, and I don't want to have to pay for and install ugly extensions to make everything reach.

I have to return one PSU already, and I'm extremely frustrated to the point of wanting to send both PSUs and the 700D back and just swearing off everything Corsair.

• Corsair Employee
I have built more than a dozen systems in the 700/800D cases using various Corsair PSUs and have never ran into this issue. Make sure the fan on the PSU is facing down, and you will want to route the cables through the back of the case, behind the motherboard, using the cable routing cut outs. Can you post pictures of how you have the cables routed? The 700D will come with an 8pin extension cable, and that is the only extension I have ever needed to use.

I've used the cable cutouts whenever possible, and there are two cutouts right next to the PSU, and two cutouts above the motherboard, but the cable just isn't that long.

I didn't see an 8-pin extension cable that came with the case. I'll look through all the packaging again. I thought I saw a splitter / Y-cable for power somewhere in the boxes, but I looked at it before and it didn't look like it would do the job.

Still, beyond the 8-pin, the 24-pin cable won't reach unless the PSU is pushed in, and the SATA power cable is also just barely too short.

Here's what the case looks like right now (pardon the messy shape it's in right now):

http://www.sitecreative.com/tmp/DSC_0032.JPG

• Corsair Employee
You will likely need to use two different SATA power cables in order to power all your drives.
should help to show you the best way to route the cables so that everything reaches. The PSU in the video has the same length cables as the TX750 that you are using.

Perhaps I'm missing something there, but it looks like that EATX12V cable can go behind the board and come out the the top grommit and connect to the 12v connector just fine. Considering it takes more length to fit around those two ledges - lower chamber ledge, and video card.

Looking at your setup in the photo I can't see your problem. I mean that case has more than enough cutouts to offer a solution.

Sorry, maybe I missed something?

Archived