Corsair Community

K70 RGB MK.2 hardware profiles

wraukon

Why is it not possible to select from the list of profiles and then just write that profile to one of the hardware slots? Having to modify the hardware slot profile seems like a LOT of extra work when a copy-into functionality should just be available.

Moreover, when I deleted all my hardware profiles, I could not create/assign any new ones.

This all seems very counter-intuitive to me.

Because with the software running and utilizing your CPU as a resource, iCUE can run a ridiculous number of effects, actions, and controls. Once you drop it into the keyboard, the little processor in there has to manage it. Obviously that is going to be more limited in both processing and physical power. The HW profiles were designed to help you follow the parameters for what can or cannot be saved. The old "save to device" was more limited in what could be transferred. Deleting the HW profiles was not the right course of action. You probably will need to do a soft reset to get them back.

"Hold down the ESC key while plugging the keyboard back in, release the ESC key after 15 secs and let the keyboard reinitialize"

Thank you for your helpful replies, here and elsewhere on the boards. I am new to Corsair, and RGB keyboards. It took me 2 weeks to go from initial setup of my Strafe Mk 2 to being able to create a specific color scheme, and save it to the KB. Poor printed directions in the box, and poor directions at the Corsair repository of software had me install CUE 1.16, which failed even to detect the KB, and had me thinking it was an issue with HID devices. That took a while to get past. I eventually ignored the directions, and went for 2.24.50, which works (but it turns out to be deprecated now as well, so eventually I'll move to iCUE--not anytime soon, though).

Like the OP, I like the idea of saving my profiles to the KB memory. I understand that the ARM processor and memory in the device are limited compared to their PC counterparts. The CUE 2 software makes the limitations clear, if I do too much in a profile, and then try to save it to the hardware. Fortunately, all I want is a sensible color scheme, with no more than 5 total static colors. However, at least it lets me overwrite the HW1 - HW3 profiles from those I create. Are you saying that iCUE does not, and that this is actually a good thing?

Like the OP, I like the idea of saving my profiles to the KB memory. I understand that the ARM processor and memory in the device are limited compared to their PC counterparts. The CUE 2 software makes the limitations clear, if I do too much in a profile, and then try to save it to the hardware. Fortunately, all I want is a sensible color scheme, with no more than 5 total static colors. However, at least it lets me overwrite the HW1 - HW3 profiles from those I create. Are you saying that iCUE does not, and that this is actually a good thing?

No, you can still save profiles to keyboard. It's the method of doing so that has changed.

Old way -> go to profile. Click on menu drop down "save to device". Some parts may save, others may not. Typically for use with "one slot" devices like mice. Some hardware still uses this.

Hardware Profile Way (HW1, HW2, HW3) -> You create the save profile in the HW slot in the iCUE software. There you can change, edit, and set it up with guidance. The software will tell you when you break a rule that won't save. However iCUE software "K70 mk.2 HW1" is not directly tied to physical memory slot 1. You can choose to save it in any of the physical memory slots 1-3. This makes re-arranging the profiles on your keyboard really easy. You just resave them in the order you want. Things are mostly the same, but this is a better way to handle devices with multiple save slots. While you could probably do the same thing with a multi-slot option for "save to device", that brings us back around to different capabilities between hardware and software profiles and this method helps you design it to be savable in the first place.

There absolutely is a learning curve to all of this. However, even if there was a comprehensive official manual, I am not sure how many people would utilize it. Any time I write a paragraph with more than 3 sentences, someone usually responds with "WoT" or "I am not going to read all that". Such is the way of the world at the moment. If you are not in that group, the link below to Inheritance's guide may help.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=185780

**Also, if you have already created an intended hardware profile as a "software profile", you may be able to quickly recreate it in the HW slot by copying lighting and actions to the Library. It serves as a clipboard for moving stuff around. Sometimes on the keyboard I find it just as easy to redo simple lighting schemes, but I do keep my common actions stored in the library so I can drag them into new profiles as needed. Having redo a bunch of macros every time would not be fun.

Edited by c-attack

• 1 year later...

Hardware Profile Way (HW1, HW2, HW3) -> You create the save profile in the HW slot in the iCUE software. There you can change, edit, and set it up with guidance. The software will tell you when you break a rule that won't save. However iCUE software "K70 mk.2 HW1" is not directly tied to physical memory slot 1. You can choose to save it in any of the physical memory slots 1-3. This makes re-arranging the profiles on your keyboard really easy. You just resave them in the order you want. Things are mostly the same, but this is a better way to handle devices with multiple save slots. While you could probably do the same thing with a multi-slot option for "save to device", that brings us back around to different capabilities between hardware and software profiles and this method helps you design it to be savable in the first place.

There absolutely is a learning curve to all of this. However, even if there was a comprehensive official manual, I am not sure how many people would utilize it. Any time I write a paragraph with more than 3 sentences, someone usually responds with "WoT" or "I am not going to read all that". Such is the way of the world at the moment. If you are not in that group, the link below to Inheritance's guide may help.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=185780

**Also, if you have already created an intended hardware profile as a "software profile", you may be able to quickly recreate it in the HW slot by copying lighting and actions to the Library. It serves as a clipboard for moving stuff around. Sometimes on the keyboard I find it just as easy to redo simple lighting schemes, but I do keep my common actions stored in the library so I can drag them into new profiles as needed. Having redo a bunch of macros every time would not be fun.

I have chosen and edited said "HW1" (and 2 and 3) to ALL mirror my "Default" software profile... and what happens when the machine is locked?! NO LIGHTING AT ALL. It does NOT make any difference AT ALL.

How do you copy a profile from software to hardware?! It's NOT a simple "just do... and it works" process. No "save to hardware" option or check box.

I have Corsair Strafe and Scimitar and can't get EITHER to use ANYTHING but the default built-in profiles in the hardware. I REALLY wish they'd streamline and simplify this process. HECK, even their OWN tutorial videos are 100% useless using OLD software versions that are irrelevant as said options are NOT present anymore (like a check box for "Save to hardware).

• 2 weeks later...

How do you copy a profile from software to hardware?! It's NOT a simple "just do... and it works" process. No "save to hardware" option or check box.

I'm fairly new to Corsair myself, and I have a K70 RGB, but from what I can tell, when you save a profile by going to the "Onboard Profiles" tab, clicking one of the profiles, and overwriting it with your currently selected one, what it's actually doing is saving the settings under Hardware Actions and Hardware Lighting. You can test this by setting up some simple and contrasting settings in those tabs, saving them to the onboard profile, and then quitting iCue from the taskbar tray. The keyboard should then switch from the "Lighting" settings of your profile to the "Hardware Lighting".

Unfortunately, while I'm pretty sure that's your problem, I haven't found an easy way to copy lighting effects from the regular lighting to hardware lighting, despite what c-attack says. It seems to me that the "Lighting" Library is separate from the "Hardware Lighting" Library, so there's no way I know of to just move effects from one to the other. You'll have to recreate the effects manually.

If anyone knows more about this, please chime in.

Unfortunately, while I'm pretty sure that's your problem, I haven't found an easy way to copy lighting effects from the regular lighting to hardware lighting, despite what c-attack says. It seems to me that the "Lighting" Library is separate from the "Hardware Lighting" Library, so there's no way I know of to just move effects from one to the other. You'll have to recreate the effects manually.

This thread predates the most recent changes to the system moving the "Hardware Lighting" management into all software profiles, not just the HW1-3 profiles. There were other changes as well. You can no longer move lighting between the two modes. You can only manage the lighting in the designated mode (Software or Hardware). For presets that makes little difference, but you will need to recreate waves and ripples if you use them. You can move patterns from the HW mode into the library to save them for later use, rather than delete them if you are using something else.

As noted above, make sure you go to the Onboard Profiles tab and actually save it the HW slot 1-3. That is the physical transfer to the keyboard.

Edited by c-attack

So how do you save a profile to hardware?! I have my keyboard set on a static color, but if I lock the computer, it turns the lights off. I click "overwrite" to write the profile to hardware and the button turns yellow... then NOTHING.

No status, no progress meters, no messages it is trying, that it failed, that worked, etc... and there is NO change in the behavior the hardware after I do this. I lock the computer, lights go OFF. There's NO way to change this behavior that I can find.

It just does NOT work. Any help with this latest software version would be appreciated. As of now, I am under the impression the software just cannot copy profiles to the hardware at all, b/c trying a dozen times (I've done this to ALL THREE onboard profiles, with the same effect) and nothing changes anything. The lights ONLY work when the iCue software has loaded and is running... and for a simple solid color this is ridiculous.

Something is wrong and occasionally others have posted with similar "jammed" saving mechanics. It should still be showing one of the three original HW lighting schemes that come on the board, so it appears to be stuck.

Try the soft reset procedure described in the link. If that does not work, you'll probably need to contact Corsair to get a firmware file for a hard reset.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025465031-How-to-Reset-your-keyboard