Corsair Community

new RM850 > computer not starting up

bl4C

Hi all,

There seems to be an issue with my new RM850 (2019) I just got for a new computer:

When connecting the 24pin ATX to a new Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, the motherboard's RGB LEDs light up, and also the start button on the motherboard. But when trying to start up (by pressing this integrated start button on the motherboard, or the case button) nothing happens …

Here are some things I tried:

- Paperclip+fan method test is OK > so the PSU delivers power (also the LEDs light up).

- When connecting the 24pin ATX to my older Asus Crosshair VI Hero, I have the same effect (and it works fine with a HX750i).

- When connecting the 24pin ATX of my HX750i to my new Asus Crosshair VIII Hero, it starts without any problem.

There seems to be something wrong the RM850 receiving the 'start signal' from the motherboard ?

By using the paperclip method and leaving the paperclip in the 24pin ATX connector (from the backside), I've been able to start the motherboard, boot and install windows ... But I have a feeling that this is not how it should be ;)

Any idea's why this is happening, is there something I can do about it ?

2017067360_RM850paperclip.thumb.jpg.377dd0742d8171864f370274cd1a6832.jpg

Edited by bl4C
problem solved

Problem solved !

Corsair support asked me to check the pins of the 24pin connector, and it turned out that pin 4-5 were slightly "opened" … I closed the female pins a little more, and now it works fine :) (see 24pin.jpg)

This could have been a result of using the paperclip method to start up the PSU to test my water cooling loop without connecting anything else to the PSU.

So next time, I will be a little more careful about the pins :)

24pin.thumb.jpg.6f194a0383890d918477903c751ce083.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Problem solved !

Corsair support asked me to check the pins of the 24pin connector, and it turned out that pin 4-5 were slightly "opened" … I closed the female pins a little more, and now it works fine :) (see 24pin.jpg)

This could have been a result of using the paperclip method to start up the PSU to test my water cooling loop without connecting anything else to the PSU.

So next time, I will be a little more careful about the pins :)

lol really just loose pins? thats good you didnt have to go through RMA process, like I did. Maybe that was my issue too since the psu pass selftest with flying colors but only failed once connected to a mobo and it would just attempt to turn on but quickly shut off. And there was power going into the mobo because all the led lights were on. Hahah after reading your post now I am almost certain it was broken 24 pin cable! I was even concluding that after diagnosing on 3 different computers! But never occurred to me to fully check for loose pins. wtf! lol maybe I did quickly but next time I will use a flashlight and check the pins thoroughly! Customer rep just told me to RMA it and not waste any more time on it, no one ever mentioned "possible loose pins".

I got the new psu yeseterday and it works! Next time I will remember to thoroughly check for any loose pins! Thanks for sharing! :idea: :sunglasse

Edited by First Blood