Corsair Community

2nd dead xd5 pump, anyone have problems?

streetglider

So my first pump went out within 3 weeks and barley had any use. took 3 weeks to RMA and finally got my new one and they determined that pump was bad. Fast forward another 2-3 weeks with the new pump and all of a sudden im starting to have the same problem. I can either wake it up or turn on after a shut down and the pump wont spin. I check icue and the 6th fan header is not even in icue anymore. after a couple force updates on same version of icue it should show up or I would have to delete icue all together and reinstall. I even tried hooking it to my waterpump header and still nothing. Then all of a sudden 2 days later it would start working. I just put a new mobo in last night and put all my lines back in. I jump the 24pin after filling my pump and once again it does not spin up. I then grab a brand new PSU and try it with that as well and still nothing. So now I have a dead pump again. How does this even happen.

• Corsair Employee

Such behavior of the pump motor could be related to the way it's been controlled. Have you tried to remove the 4-pin connector from the Commander PRO or any other header and try to start the system?

When starting up with the 24pin on the PSU, was the 4-pin connector connected or was unplugged?

Is there any notable vibration in the pump motor or any noise?

About the missing fan header in iCUE. Are you running any other monitoring software?

I have tried running the pump on commander pro, no 4 pin, and mobo water pump header and this was all after the commander pro started acting up. there is no noise coming from it at all and I have 12v to the molex connector on the pump side. only monitoring is msi afterburner for my gpu and cpu

The pump should run at 60% when not controlled via PWM. This will be to slow for the flow meter to move, at least for my loop it was. The fact that you had two D5 fail, makes me wonder if you have have it installed sideways or upside down. They are pretty rugged pumps and in the past 3 years I have been doing custom loops and active in the community I think I have only seen one D5 fail. The most others have been DDC or random other brands. Also don't run it dry, that will cause it to fail premature as well.

Correction: pump will run at 100% PWM duty cycle when PWM header is not connected.

@OP: It seems your pump motor is dead. Since they're done in sequence it might be a bad batch of motors? The motor is done by a reputable 3rd party but still very unfortunate. RMA the unit.

Correction: pump will run at 100% PWM duty cycle when PWM header is not connected.

@OP: It seems your pump motor is dead. Since they're done in sequence it might be a bad batch of motors? The motor is done by a reputable 3rd party but still very unfortunate. RMA the unit.

I also thought the D5 would run at 100% duty cycle as that is what fans do when disconnected from PWM. Though when I was working on my loop this past week, I noticed the flow rate seemed low and my flow meter was not working. At the time I had the pump directly connected into a secondary PSU that I use for loop maintenance, while my PC was powered off. I thought there was something wrong with my D5, though Greg mentioned that the XD5 is set to run at 60% when PWM is NC. When I was done with maintenance, I was able to control the pump's speed via iCUE.