Corsair Community

Why are there no RMx White Series PSU's above 850w?

MrFreeze360

With the new 3080 series GPU's coming available slowly, a big aspect of concern for many people without an already "beefy" build is the fact that they are recommending a minimum of 850w PSUs to power the cards. Currently, I am building an entirely new build to support the new series of card including a full corsair Hydro x series custom water cooling loop, several corsair LL120 RGB case and radiator fans (white edition), and a corsair crystal series 570x white case. Now I was hoping to add a white corsair PSU to the mix to keep the same aesthetic (ik you wont be able to see it except from the back/inside of the case but I am an enthusiast and want to build a full white build :D:) but after searching on the official corsair website, the maximum wattage on the fully modular RMx White series is only 850w. I intend on extending my build in the future and pushing my system so I was hoping to get a PSU with at least 1000w but was wondering why there are no more white series PSU's above that 850w threshold possibly in the AX or HX series. I would love to see an AX white or HX white series of PSUs implemented in the near future for the true enthusiasts out there like myself who want a high powered fully white PC build.

If you checkout some of the better youtube videos on this subject, in fact they are saying that you need a 650W PSU for a 3080 and a 750W for a 3090. Only if you have a poor quality PSU do you need the higher ratings ( and Corsair are not poor quality ). Your main issue is likely to be enough power connectors on the PSU rather than anything else which is why I recommend an 850W for both the 3080 and 3090. But a 1000W is just way too much. You are really wasting money there.

I’m planning on running two 3080’s in SLI along with a full custom water cooling loop including 2 radiators and 6 RGB fans so yes I do need the 1000w PSU. Also in regards to it showing, my Corsair Crystal Series case covers the front half of the PSU but shows the back and side of the PSU through the case. For my all white design, which I plan on showing on my livestream, I want it to look as clean as possible. I actually was thinking about spray paint as a last resort but was kind of worried about the heat from the PSU possibly causing melting or the paint causing conductivity issues or slowing the built in PSU fans. Has anyone here actually painted a PSU before that could enlighten me on this topic?

well, 1000 or 1200W is good if you want them to run passive cooling. But power-wise yea it's totally overkill.

That said.. regarding white PSUs, a can of white paint can solve that issue :p

I guess you said that as a joke but actually it would be pretty easy to partially wrap a PSU and you could do it in White Carbon Fibre which would be amazing.

nono, i didn't mean it as a joke :)

Personally i'd open it to cover the internals if they can't be removed completely, or put masking tape on the inside to block the holes (voids warranty) then spray paint it.. but.. i tend not to look behind my case so i never painted a PSU.