Corsair Community

Temperature-based lighting?

Charixfox

I finally need to ask...

If the goal is to have exciting RGB colors, why have temperature-based lighting on decorative items?

The premise of temp-based lighting is that it's normally always one color. No rainbows. No changes. nothing interesting to look at. If it DOES change, you shut your computer down and start troubleshooting what cooling system failed.

I could see the idea of having a single LED that changed based on temp, but having too many or all of them kind of defeats the purpose of having RGB capabilities.

So why do people want to have multiple sets of lighted things show colors based on a temperature?

I finally need to ask...

If the goal is to have exciting RGB colors, why have temperature-based lighting on decorative items?

The premise of temp-based lighting is that it's normally always one color. No rainbows. No changes. nothing interesting to look at. If it DOES change, you shut your computer down and start troubleshooting what cooling system failed.

I could see the idea of having a single LED that changed based on temp, but having too many or all of them kind of defeats the purpose of having RGB capabilities.

So why do people want to have multiple sets of lighted things show colors based on a temperature?

Fair question. My case is pretty blinged out with the LEDs on my Asus MOBO, 2 LED strips plugged into the AURA connector, 2 static strips that are USB powered, 5 x HD-140 RGB fans, 1 x HD-120 RGB fan, a H110i-GT pump with LED, and a 5vdc generic WS2812B strip that I bought to play around with LED control by SIV through my CLCP.

Out of all that, the only LED that tracks temperature is the one in the H110i-GT pump. Even that is pointless as I can see the coolant temperature in my very nice SIV LCD Panel anyway.

So an agreement so far. Still hoping for somebody to shed some insight into the thought process of why they want/use the ability to have, for example, an HD120 RGB fan change color based on the temp.

Fun thing about the SIV LCD Panel:

For most users, it's really an LCD panel, not just a "Simulated one". The monitor it shows on is usually LCD. ;)

I finally need to ask...

because its fun to set up a dozen different temp based colours and have the entire case change colour based on how warm the chosen part is, you can even have it set so that different temperature sensors control a particular RGB led component like mobo temp is strip one, socket temp is strip 2 package temp is fan 1, water temp is fan 2, gpu temp is fan 3, psu temp is fan 4 and so on, this lets you know at a glance that each part is within normal operating temps and just how hard its working without the need to have a second screen to show the monitoring software or tab out of the application your using to check, and it also lets you see which parts are the biggest heaters when your doing something taxing, not much good if the case isn't on the desktop though /

Archived