Corsair Community

128GB Nova SSD failed suddenly

crawf

This morning when switching on my MacBook Pro, the screen went grey and would not proceed past it. After some tinkering, I've isolated the issue to be with the SSD installed - 128GB Nova. I have never had any issues for the 15-month life of the drive, but after switching it with another drive, the laptop came back to life!

I've tried booting from the drive on another laptop (PC), but won't get past the BIOS screen. The drive doesn't seem to appear in the BIOS either. Hooking the drive up to a SATA to USB converter didn't work either.

I'm rather stunned as to why this suddenly occurred! I've never performed a firmware update of the drive, nor have updated either OS's on my MacBook (at least in the last month). I've never come across any erratic behavior on the drive.

Is the drive (and my data) gone for good? Or is there some hope of recovering it?

No, Disk Managment didn't come up with anything sadly. Ive tried plugging in the SSD to my MacBook (now using a normal HDD with OS X installed), via a SATA to USB converter, and it doesn't appear as a drive under Disk Utility. Unfortunately, I dont know anyone witha desktop Mac that I can plug it directly via SATA. However, I've verified that the converter works (I use it all the time).

gParted is a Linux-based partitioning tool, that is bootable from CD. This didn't seems to pick up the disk either - as usually it would (it supports HFS).

Ok, so I've files an RMA, which has even excepted. This means shipping thr (potentially) dead SSD to Corsair. My question is - what will they do with the drive? Do they try to recover any files on it, or simply dispose of the drive?

I suppose it would be nice to know what will happen to my files. Of course, if it's a fully dead drive, it won't matter as no one will be able to access them.

Thanks

Archived