Corsair Community

2ish week old loop - Safe to recycle coolant?

kayanite

So I happened to accidentally open my tab that had the forums open in it, with in minutes of GregX posting that the 'Add to Cart' feature had gone live last Thursday and submitted my order. Was expecting at best, to have it sometime around the end of the month. Earlier morning (about 4 hours ago) I decide to check the order status on my phone and it gave me a tracking number saying shipped yesterday morning and I should get it tomorrow. Just got a notification that it's out for delivery right now!

So seeing as I just filled this loop not even 2 weeks ago, is it safe to "recycle" the fluid and/or should I? I've read multiple sources state it should be and probably still could have had I not got the GPU block until the end of the month. But I did end up buying another bottle before I had everything together, thinking surely 1 bottle wasn't going to be enough, but it was with a little to spare. So I do have it on hand to use, but if it'd be dumb to waste it...

• Corsair Employee

The 5700 XT GPU Water Blocks deliveries are a bit faster than stated upon release of add to cart :)

You can safely reuse existing coolant. When draining the loop make sure not to contaminate the coolant. Use filling bottle and original coolant bottle to handle the coolant.

You might want to filter your coolant if you can do so, just so as to avoid any transfer of any fiddly bits, in case you had anything didn't get flushed out of your rads first time through for example.

If you have an existing inline filter great, otherwise you can drain through a coffee filter or even a fuel-line filter or something.

The 5700 XT GPU Water Blocks deliveries are a bit faster than stated upon release of add to cart :)

You can safely reuse existing coolant. When draining the loop make sure not to contaminate the coolant. Use filling bottle and original coolant bottle to handle the coolant.

YEAAAAAH BUDDY! Totally wasn't expecting that!

Not sure if you guys sent me something else too though. They had another package from you guys, but had no receiver information but was bunched with my box. Both said 1 of 1 package and the other one said it contained 5 pieces and was slightly small than the shipping box that we knew was mine - but again, no "to" information. She wasn't sure, found it odd that she had 2 deliveries from you guys and it not be for the same person. But, I wasn't expecting it so we decided it'd be best to have her take it back and sort it out, said if it was meant for me, I'd end up with it tomorrow.

So draining it back into the bottle that it came in, with the remainder that I didn't use - should be ok? Or should I take the remainder and put it into my filling bottle, then dump the loop coolant into the Corsair bottle that the coolant came in?

You might want to filter your coolant if you can do so, just so as to avoid any transfer of any fiddly bits, in case you had anything didn't get flushed out of your rads first time through for example.

If you have an existing inline filter great, otherwise you can drain through a coffee filter or even a fuel-line filter or something.

Kinda thought of that. I did flush the radiators out before filling it to leak test and the last 2 fill ups, came out clear. Didn't notice anything come out from the leak test water before I filled it with coolant neither. So not sure if the extra precaution would still be necessary or..?

I'm by far not trying to argue or anything. Even with you guys saying it should be safe, I'm highly considering just flushing it again and filling it with new stuff to be safe. Kinda paranoid, being my first non AIO loop and all.

Didn't matter anyways.

I got everything all ready. Had a coffee filter and the hose all setup...opened the valve and at that same second, the damn UPS guy banged on the door and honked his horn at the same time (guess 2 of them?) and it scared the living crap out of me! Dropped the bottle and ended up draining half of the loop all over the floor and myself. So needless to say, I just opened up the new bottle. LOL

And no, I don't think this has anything to do with my other thread I started. Drain hose was rather long and no where near my PC, so fairly certain no liquid got inside the case. Plus it was aired out for awhile, plus I blew the inside out before hand.