Corsair Community

Force 3 Drops from Sata 6Gb/s to 3Gb/s

51ngular1ty

Hello Everyone,

I have just installed two shiny new Force 3 SSD's into my pc and set them into a raid 0 array using the sata 6Gb/s ports on my motherboard. Windows installed fine they both work properly however there is one exception. When the computer first starts up both of the drives will work in 6Gb/s mode. They even test well in Aida64 I can get 1GB/s read out of them. However after about a minute one of the drives will drop to 3Gb/s mode and the performance of the array will drop (you can see this in the attached picture).

I don't know what would be causing this, so far I have made sure that I am using the latest Intel drivers for RST and Chipset. I have updated the bios for my motherboard to its latest as well. Finally I have updated to the 1.3 firmware for the SSD's. I cant determine if this is the fault of the drive, the fault of the motherboard, or the fault of myself.

Any assistance anyone could provide would be helpful

Asd.png.7867bf7bab70a00aa2783ac567c19571.png

Can you try some other SATA cables ( even if they are from the same motherboard package ) ?

Thank you for the recommendation, this is something that didn't even cross my mind, I have just tested both drives with a different set of cables and the same thing occurred.

Are you using a 128kb strip size?

If yes, i would suggest you change it to a 64kb stripe size.

NOTE: Backup your data as doing this procedure will remove the current RAID.

Once you done it secure erase the SSD with parted magic and install Windows 7 and benchmark it again.

Are you using a 128kb strip size?

If yes, i would suggest you change it to a 64kb stripe size.

NOTE: Backup your data as doing this procedure will remove the current RAID.

Once you done it secure erase the SSD with parted magic and install Windows 7 and benchmark it again.

Thankfully I do not need to back anything up because this is a new install. I am going to do this now, however wouldn't this hurt performance not improve it? I was under the impression that 128k stripe size was what you should always do with the Intel controller for raid 0.

The 64kb stripe size did not work it was still losing performance about a minute in.

Also some additional information, I have a raid 5 array set up with three 1.5 tb HDD's so I installed windows on them, I have started testing the raid 0 array from the OS install on the raid 5 and now the raid 0 inst experiencing the problem where it will go from 6Gb/s to 3Gb/s. I am going to try to install windows on the ssd's from windows and see what happens.

I had this problem as well. I have 2 Force 3 60GB drives, and only one kept going from 6Gb/s to 3Gb/s shortly after booting into Windows 7. I swapped in a better quality SATA cable and the problem has gone away. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I found the sata cables with an L on one end seem to attach more snugly than the straight variety.

Chiv.

I had this problem as well. I have 2 Force 3 60GB drives, and only one kept going from 6Gb/s to 3Gb/s shortly after booting into Windows 7. I swapped in a better quality SATA cable and the problem has gone away. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I found the sata cables with an L on one end seem to attach more snugly than the straight variety.

Chiv.

I have tried this approach and it seems to be working so far. I am ordering some better cables tonight.

Archived