Corsair Community

Quick question regarding defrag

FilthyPhill

Hello,

I just had a few quick questions, this is my first build with an SSD and I have followed all of the guides posted here for my new install.

Everything is running great as of now and I have no complaints with my new Corsair SSD, everything loads so fast its amazing how fast I can get into games or load the OS.

In one of the guides I followed when I setup my SSD it was recommended to completly disable defrag. Now to my understanding defraging an SSD is a bad thing, but what about my other drives? Do they not need to be defraged since trim in enabled? If they do what software should I use to defrag them?

Also, is it ok to run clean disk from the system tools on the SSD? mainly to get rid of any temp files that are not already being divereted to one of my spinning drives?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered but I could not find anything relating to this.

Lastly it is to my understanding that SSD performance will degrade over time and the only way to restore performance basically is to image the disk and format. When should I have to anticapate having to do this? Every six months? I game on this machine daily, and do not do much else so hopefully this will not be something I have to do often.

Any information on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Filthy~

Hi Phill,

>Do they not need to be defraged since trim in enabled?

Mechanical HD's will always need to be defragged.

Trim only works on SSD's

>Lastly it is to my understanding that SSD performance will degrade over time

Trim takes care of that.

Cheers

Derek

See if Windows 7 will still allow a defrag on the HDDs. If it will, it is fine for defragging them.

Between TRIM, the Recycler function on the Force drives, and proper disk maintenance of deleting unnecessary files, you should be able to maintain a healthy SSD without being forced to secure erase to restore performance. However, you individual usage habits will determine if this is the case.

Archived