Corsair Community

Corsair H80i v2 Modes, question.

SIRIKer

Hi.

I have a Corsair H80i v2 placed on my MSI 1080ti graphics card.

It just lets me choose two performance modes on the pump "relaxed" and "extreme."

In my cpu I have a corsair h100i and it also leaves me the "balanced" mode.

My question is which mode is better to set in the pump.

If to set "extreme" mode, the life of the pump deteriorates a lot ?.

Thanks.

Flow rate (pump speed) is not typically a large factor in the cooling performance. For your H100i (Pro/Platinum?), most people put it on balanced and leave it. Extreme does not offer any more performance on a 240mm or larger radiator - just more noise. The GPU radiator may be a different story. The larger the radiator surface area, the less flow rate matters, but the reverse is true to some degree. With a 300W GPU on a 120mm radiator, you may see differences in coolant temperature (minimum possible GPU or baseline temp). Only way to know if to try it.

As for lifespan issues, the Mean Time Before Failure is typically in hours used, not pump revolutions. It is not very often someone shows up and they "wore out their pump after 5 years". AIO coolers certainly fail, but mechanical failure is not one of the more common issues. You should use the pump speed you want without worrying about the lifespan. It likely will not have a future impact on the longevity.

Thanks for the answers.

In the cpu with the h100i pro, it is true that I hardly noticed a difference in temperatures.

In the 1080ti with the h80i if I noticed that the fans worked at less revolutions to achieve acceptable temperatures / noise.

I didn't know if setting this mode could affect the life of the pump.

I will leave the h80i in extreme mode and the h100i pro in balanced mode.