Corsair Community

RAM problem with my motherboard (ASUS PZ77-V LK)

theo647

Hi everyone!

I just bought a new motherboard and a new GPU yesterday, and there are some problems with the RAM (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) i think, my PC sometimes does not start, i can't see any display on my screens, and when it starts, it freezes very often. :[pouts:

I'm just working in windows, doing stuff and then the system freezes, and it happens in the BIOS too.

I didn't had any bluescreen, just hardware freezes, i tried to flash my BIOS and it didn't worked, so i removed one of my memory sticks to try it on each DIM slots, the result was the same. So i tried with the other one and nothing has changed, there was freezes too.

I just returned to windows and started a MemTest, and at 5% it just got frozen the first time, so i tried again and at 5% the PC just stopped.

I often have to use the MemOK! compatibility feature on my motherboard to start the PC. And i saw that my memory frequency is 1600 mHz, and in the BIOS it shows 1333mHz.

Some people said that it is a memory problem or that's a problem with the power supply, i don't think the power supply have a problem because it is from corsair and i bought it like 6 months ago.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

EDIT: my bios flashing has failed on my previous motherboard, that's why i just bought an other one, somebody told me that a problem with the bios flashing can destroy components of my PC. I often had the same problem with my previous motherboard (blackscreens at start with no display, i changed my GPU two times and the problem was the same, do you think that it comes from the memory? My two screens doesn't have any problems, and the DVI cables too)

EDIT2: I tried a CLEAR CMOS and it didn't worked too

EDIT3: Just started Windows during like one hour, the PC didn't crashed and didn't had any problems. I tried to restart it in Windows and when it restarted there wasn't any display

I often have to use the MemOK! compatibility feature on my motherboard to start the PC. And i saw that my memory frequency is 1600 mHz, and in the BIOS it shows 1333mHz.

Run CPUz and post a pic of the MEMORY tab. That will show you what your memory is actually running at. If you use the memOK button it will set the memory back to defaults (or 1333mhz) until you set it otherwise in the BIOS.

Some people said that it is a memory problem or that's a problem with the power supply, i don't think the power supply have a problem because it is from corsair and i bought it like 6 months ago.

Yes, this sounds more like a PSU issue than memory. Please check to see what your volatges are in your BIOS. The 12,5v and 3.3v rails.

Which voltages does it need to be in the BIOS?

The 12,5v and 3.3v rails.

But your memory is running at 1333mhz so you would need to enable the XMP profile in your BIOS to get them to run at 1600mhz. If your not familiar with that setting it can be found in the advanced overclocking section of your BIOS, Also change Command Rate to 2t

Here are some news, i just changed some settings in my BIOS, to turn a lot of voltage settings to manual and there was much less problems with freezes in the OS, i didn't had any during like two hours, then i just restarted my system, one time, the mouse and the keyboard were getting crazy, the lighs of my keyboard was switching between on and off all the time.

My mouse was really laggy, it just stopped working like one second then it worked again, all the time!

Then i restarted my OS again and it got frozen at startup, i restarted it again and it wasn't starting anymore for five minutes.

Do you think that it is from the RAM?:!:

EDIT: Sometimes the BIOS shows with this message "Overclocking failure", i didn't overclocked anything, and there is not any beep at startup, not any POST too...

Here are some news, i just changed some settings in my BIOS, to turn a lot of voltage settings to manual and there was much less problems with freezes in the OS,

What volatges did you change?

Then i restarted my OS again and it got frozen at startup, i restarted it again and it wasn't starting anymore for five minutes.

Do you think that it is from the RAM?

No, not really. This sounds more like a PSU issue. Please look in your BIOS under power management and see what the volatges are .

There should be one for 12v ,one for 5v and one for 3.3v

EDIT: Sometimes the BIOS shows with this message "Overclocking failure", i didn't overclocked anything, and there is not any beep at startup, not any POST too...

Anytime you change the BIOS from defaults that is considered overclocking. and why your BIOS will show that error when it BSOD's It will also do that when XMP is enabled and you get a BSOD. Just keep in mind that when you get that error it will return the system to defaults again.

Thanks a lot for your help! :biggrin:

Tonight i used my computer for about 5 hours without any problems.

Here is a picture of my voltages levels:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/25/1371981562-20130622-173302-1.jpg

And when i try to put my second RAM stick, it crashes the PC when it start (boot loop without display and it shutdown after like 10-30 seconds.

Thanks in advance :D:

Tonight i used my computer for about 5 hours without any problems.

Was this with just one stick installed?

And when i try to put my second RAM stick, it crashes the PC when it start (boot loop without display and it shutdown after like 10-30 seconds.

If this is the case then i would go ahead an replace the memory. However if you get a second kit that acts the same way, then you should look at your PSU or even MB as your issue.

Your voltages look fine , but you would need to watch them when under load. Low voltage to the MB could "look" like a memory problem. So could a bad MB or even bent pins in the CPU socket. These would be things to check if a replacement memory kit doesn't solve your issue.

At any rate please use the link on the left to request an RMA.

Oh and could you please resize that pic so it fits the forum. Something like 600x400 would fit nicely without having to side scroll.

Thanks!

Yeah it was with only one stick installed, i tried with the other one only and it doesn't boot at all too.

Now with this one it freezes sometimes really often and sometime it doesn't during like 6 hours.

I sent a RMA request :[pouts:

And i'm sorry for the picture, i saw that it was too large when it was already sent :D:

Just done a memtest again, at 47%, the PC just got frozen.

Some seconds after, the PC shutdown and don't restart, it really seems to be a memory issue.

It does that when i use Adobe AfterEffects too, during the RAM preview.

Hi!

I received my new kit, so I tried it, i put one of the two new ram sticks in my DIM slots, then i started my computer.

It started fine, then i put the second RAM stick, and it had some difficulties to start, so I started the MemOK! feature (which was detecting a problem with the compatibility), after like 3 attempts, the PC started, so i have done a memtest, and it crashed at 49%, not any freezes, but the computer just shutdown.

I tried to start it again, there was not any problem.

I'm just monitoring it now to see if it freezes at any moment.

Thanks for your help :D:

PS: I saw on the corsair website that this RAM was not compatible with my motherboard, do you think that the problem comes from here?

PS: I saw on the corsair website that this RAM was not compatible with my motherboard, do you think that the problem comes from here?

No,That memory is indeed compatible with your system. What are the exact setting you have for your memory and have you tried enabling the XMP profile?

Do you have the latest BIOS and have you tested each stick individually with memtest? Not as a pair.

Okay, so now, freezes never occurs in the system, except at startup sometimes.

BUT, it happens at startup, it freezes at the BIOS logo.

And sometimes at the windows boot logo.

I think that this memory isn't compatible with my mobo (i hope, in fact). :(:

Do you think that it is the memory, the mobo or the PSU this time? :sigh!:

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Now it can't boot at all, just tried to boot without any hard disk, doesn't solved the issue. There was not any mistakes during the PC mounting. Maybe my RAM isn't compatible at all... I don't understand. Juste use the corsair compatibility tool and you will see by yourself that this model isn't in the list. The PSU is new and the mobo too.

Edit2: Just put one of the RAM sticks on the second DIMM slot (the blue one), it had some difficulties to start but it passed the memtest successfully.

Edit3: Tried with the two sticks, it had difficulties to start again (at the bios logo). The test passed fine but it crashed 30 seconds after, at windows startup. What a mind**** problem.

Archived