Corsair Community

H150i Cooling Questions for Newb

Rage33

First off, thanks in advance for the help. Don't blast me for ignorance, or if this has already been addressed (didn't see it anywhere.) I do not have a lot of pc building experience. I recently built a PC through CyberpowerPC and had a potential issue I wanted to ask about.

Build specs:

CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P400A

CPU: Intel® Core Processor i9-10900K

CASE FAN: 6X 120mm Phanteks SK120 Digital RGB PWM FAN

FAN: Corsair Hydro iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm

HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (x2)

MEMORY: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking

PSU: 850 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W

VIDEO: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

I want to mount 3 Phanteks RGB fans on the front of the case, 2 on top, and 1 for exhaust. As I'm sure you already know, the only way to mount a 360mm rad in the P400A is up front. Will I be able to have them put the 3 Phanteks RGB fans in the front, then the rad, then rad fans? Optimally, I'd like to have the RGB fans visible from the front and I want to make sure the rad gets enough air.

Will there be an issue using fans of different type/brand to push/pull air? If so, then would the Phanteks fans provide enough air by themselves to cool the rad?

Thanks again for the help. Fire away with any spears on the build, or recommendations moving forward.

Edited by Rage33

Generally using two different fan types on either side of the radiator does not pose a problem. However, if you have two very different blade designs you may hear some odd higher harmonic noise at high fan speeds. The weaker fan will become resistance for the other. Typically this is only an issue at very high speed and there won't be any reason to do that for your set-up and you won't need those 1500 rpm+ levels.

The trickier bit is what you intend to do for control. The H150i XT has its own fan controller for its three fans. Ideally, you would like to keep the 3 Phanteks on the front side at a relatively close speed to try and match the throughput from the ML fans on the back side. That won't be that easy with motherboard controls since they don't have access to the Corsair sensor in the XT. There a few options.

1) Get a Commander Pro. This is the Corsair fan controller for all brand fans and puts control over all attached fans into iCUE software. Now you can set any fan to any speed needed.

2) Use a powered PWM hub or 'splitter' to offload the three Phanteks front fans. It's a little circuit board with 4-8 fan ports which then it turn has one control lead that goes to another source. In this case, you would connect it to one of the three control headers from the XT, but the fans are getting their power from a separate SATA line so you don't overload the fan controller in the XT. These PWM hubs are generally inexpensive and less than $20.

3) You might be able to make it work from motherboard controls (BIOS or otherwise) if you have a 10K thermistor temp sensor (2 prong) on the 490-E. You run a $3 thermistor sensor wire to the back of the radiator. It measures exhaust temperature and this has a close relationship to the coolant temperature inside the unit. This allows you to program a BIOS fan curve to match what you use in the iCUE software for the three ML fans. It will take so observation and programming to get the data points and requires the most understanding to make it work. It's also the cheapest for 1 single thermistor wire plus using tools you already have.