Corsair Community

Where is CPU temp warning option?

karajan

CorsairLink had this option to set fans at maximum when CPU reached certain temp.

That option was useless, why? because I had to restart it manually when CPU temps dropped and it was really annoying.

What I want from iCUE is to set fans at maximum if CPU temp reached 80 and it should go back to normal state when temp reaches below 80.

I know radiator fans should be set according to Water pump temp but CPU temp is also important, if it reaches 80 I will know that something is wrong :!:. It could be a power virus or pump failure etc.

Where is this feature? if this feature does not exist please add it, thanks :)

---

Edit: Please also add Step-up and Step-down option. for example Step-up of 2 seconds means if CPU temp went 80 for more than 2 seconds, then set fans to max.

and similarly Step-down of 2 seconds means if CPU temp was below 80 for more than 2 seconds go back to normal state.

What I want from iCUE is to set fans at maximum if CPU temp reached 80 and it should go back to normal state when temp reaches below 80.

This exists. It's called a fan curve. What you need to do is find out your coolant to CPU max differential. The conductivity between CPU and cold plate is not variable. When you start a stress test that applies a non-variable 100% load (like the tool in CPU-Z or Linpack), you will get an instant CPU temp change. Compare that in that first moment to your coolant temp. If your coolant is 25C and the CPU temp is 60C, then your differential is +35C. This value can be less when Vcore or load is lower, but it won't be more.

So making an easy example, if your coolant differential is +40C and your personal CPU temp limit is 80C, then set the max fan blast for 40C coolant temp. You cannot reach 80C without the coolant reaching 40C. The differential is unique to each set-up, affected strongly by Vcore levels and CPU design, but it is consistent for each model.

On a side note, it takes a 240 or 280mm radiator about 30 seconds to drop the coolant by 1C (that also means -1C CPU temp) with no load, so any kind of fan blasting or speed changes have no real effect in short duration. With water cooling radiators, it's a slow and steady kind of game to keep the waste heat from accumulating to high. As long as you keep the fans moving, sudden changes in fan speed should not be necessary for anything, even when CPU load spikes to 100%. The fan speed will only help remove heat from the coolant stream. It cannot alter the heat created at the CPU + socket pins and that must pass through the CPU first. Remember the conductivity rate is constant, so no pump or fan settings will move the heat through the CPU faster. Not coincidentally, that is the brick wall everyone

runs into eventually and why we are not to 6-8 GHz clocks yet as once predicted.

I understand that fans don't have direct impact on CPU temp. So lets calculate.

Quiet mode, 28C is the idle for coolant and CPU, running stress test gives 75C CPU temp, that's 47C difference (4.5 GHz 1.296 Vcore)

so it means coolant temp shouldn't reach 33C for CPU to stay below 80C in worst possible scenario?

AFAIK coolant max temp was 37C after 24 hour stress test in quiet mode so CPU temp would be 84C in worst case, i think that's acceptable.

Remember the conductivity rate is constant, so no pump or fan settings will move the heat through the CPU faster. Not coincidentally, that is the brick wall everyone

They could just make thin but wider CPU's, there is plenty of space, by larger i mean spread the cores in wider area instead of packing them hard together.

Funny enough it’s the opposite problem as the more space on the chip, the more power required and power loss experienced between A->B. However, that is another subject and surely their are professional papers out there addressing this issue.

So yes, 47C is your differential and thus 33C max - worst case scenario. Now the trick is accommodating that with what will happen to coolant temp come Summer. It’s not hard to start at 29-30C coolant at idle in the warmer months. Give yourself a little breathing room on the coolant limit. It’s alarming for them kick to max as your graze against the line. Aside from that, your cooler seems to be performing well.

I need to hook up my H115i Pro to the usb to remember what notification options are there. I definitely have some additional notification options with the Commander Pro, but I think it is going to be like Link where you will need to actively address the notification if it occurs.

Archived