Corsair Community

Upset with K70 LUX RGB

datsyuk

Hey everyone,

Bought my K70 LUX RGB back in October of 2016 and loved it for over a year. Had no issues at all. Fast forward to December 2017/January of this year and I notice my indicator lights are constantly freezing when using any of the lock keys. I would have to plug the keyboard back in or reset it using the switch near the USB pass through.

Video of the issue: [ame]

[/ame]

Submit a ticket to Corsair, they get another board out to me... it's still happening. So it seems like it wasn't just my old board. Find out it's happening because of my USB 3.0 ports on my new computer that I built in December, a Z370 build. I tried literally everything to fix it. I narrow it down to my particular ports and CUE running dynamic lighting profiles. There are a bunch of posts on this issue.

I PM the product manager and post in the CUE threads and have not even been responded to on this issue. There is no way this keyboard has issues with Z370 USB 3.0 in general...

The replacement keyboard however, has the caps lock key double/triple clicking by itself. Corsair sends me another board. This time around I have the LEDs flickering to random colors (red I think every time, not sure though) during my RGB profiles. Send that board back, another arrived today and it is doing the same exact thing!

Really don't know what is happening with the flickering lights. I've attached a screenshot of what it does, randomly happens on any key on the board. This photo has the F12 key turning red in my RGB wave. In this photo it's F12, other times it flickers keys "p ; ' ENTER" for example... it's random and all over the board. I didn't pay the premium for the RGB keyboard for it flicker like this even though it may be small. I do see the twitch/flickers in the corner of my eye when gaming though, drives me crazy.

Has anyone experienced these issues (esp with 2 boards in a row with flickering red lights)?

IMG_3303.thumb.jpg.415019472b6533e5c3f347425fe96467.jpg

Which Z370 motherboard are you using in your build? Have you tried reflashing the BIOS? Does the indicator freeze happen if you plug the keyboard into a different PC/Laptop?

I have not, but I will update my BIOS and give that a shot. It's the Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 by Gigabyte. The indicator freeze does not happen on my old computer with a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P on either USB 2.0 (Intel chipset) or USB 3.0 (Etron).

Edit: Updated to latest BIOS for my board that were posted 3/9 and the lock indicator issue still happens. All of my other peripherals are working fine, nothing funny.

If you're using Windows 10, try performing the steps in the article below. There have been some USB enumeration issues that can cause erratic USB behavior.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-february-13-2018-upd

I'll give this a shot when I get home. These issues have been happening months before that update ever hit, but I'll still try it.

And with the lights flickering, users have been posting about for several years in this thread and there hasn't been a good answer on what is causing it.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=152411

I read through that and it never seemed to be resolved.

Edit: The instructions on Microsoft's website are not working. I am on a newer build though. The issue looks like it was fixed in 16299.251 and I am on 16299.309.

• 1 month later...

Hi, after some investigations, I found out this is a software issue and NOT a hardware issue.

Its all about the CUE.

If the CUE is running and the controller is connected, the leds will not work.

IF the CUE is off and then I plug the controller. it works!

Good luck!

Hi, after some investigations, I found out this is a software issue and NOT a hardware issue.

Its all about the CUE.

Good luck!

It seems like a software issue I agree. I'm wondering if the hardware on the board is good enough as well.

By controller are you referring to a game controller or keyboard? I don't use any game controllers.

If it is keyboard you are talking about, yes the same goes for me. The board can run fine with CUE on but the lighting profile must be static. It can't function properly with any sorts of dynamic effects (then what is the point of this RGB keyboard).

CUE, or the hardware on the board seems to be dropping packets over USB like crazy. I have my board constantly flickering the incorrect light color, or not at all. It's incredibly annoying. I've had this happen on 3 different personal computers, know 2 friends with the same issues with other Corsair keyboards, and have been through 4 K70's.

The only board that didn't have my lock light indicators freeze was the K95 platinum, but I don't like that keyboard because it's a bit too large. There is a legitimate problem with the K70's software or hardware and Corsair can't seem to give a good answer on what causes this and the software (CUE) team seems to ignore anything I post about this to them.

I'm getting my K70 refunded because this has been a major hassle and they don't seem to care about fixing it.

Not to mention the win lock key colour not displaying correctly when there's no USB communication either across multiple :L Never had so many issues with 1 brand

That button actually flickers on my board a bunch and since it's large and at the top I constantly see it at the corner of my eye.

I think the issue is here:

2018-05-03T21:51:44 I cue.dev: Buffer write, 1. failed. request timed out for K70 LUX RGB

2018-05-03T21:51:44 I cue.dev: Buffer write, 1. failed. Device: K70 LUX RGB, Execution result = 0, result = 0, platform error code = 995.

2018-05-03T21:51:44 I cue.dev: Buffer apply for Green failed. request timed out for K70 LUX RGB

2018-05-03T21:51:44 I cue.dev: Buffer apply for Green failed. Device: K70 LUX RGB, Execution result = 0, result = 0, platform error code = 995.

2018-05-03T21:51:44 I cue.dev: Buffer write, 1. failed. request timed out for K70 LUX RGB

2018-05-03T21:51:44 I cue.dev: Buffer write, 1. failed. Device: K70 LUX RGB, Execution result = 0, result = 0, platform error code = 995.

2018-05-03T21:51:45 I cue.dev: Buffer apply for Red failed. request timed out for K70 LUX RGB

2018-05-03T21:51:45 I cue.dev: Buffer apply for Red failed. Device: K70 LUX RGB, Execution result = 0, result = 0, platform error code = 995.

2018-05-03T21:51:45 I cue.dev: Buffer apply for Blue failed. request timed out for K70 LUX RGB

2018-05-03T21:51:45 I cue.dev: Buffer apply for Blue failed. Device: K70 LUX RGB, Execution result = 0, result = 0, platform error code = 995.

I have a TON of these in my logs. It's painfully annoying because this can be a fantastic keyboard if the RGB/caps lock freezing wasn't garbage. On board memory would of helped :(.

Its all about the CUE.

Good luck!

Yep, as I've said in countless threads, it's their ****ty drivers/CUE causing these problems. The second I disabled their HID drivers/uninstalled CUE, the issues with my K55 (not playing nice with USB gamepads, and numlock etc. lights not working correctly) ceased....I also lose all extra functionality because they lock it behind their terrible software, but it's preferable to having to unplug my keyboard whenever I want to use a USB controller. It would be nice to see a response that isn't the typical BS about re-setting firmware/updating BIOS etc. when it has been proven time and again that it's THEIR software/drivers that are the root cause of these issues, not end-user systems. Give us some updates on what's being done to fix this.

Not to mention the win lock key colour not displaying correctly when there's no USB communication either across multiple :L Never had so many issues with 1 brand

Yeah, it's a shame, before I was gifted this keyboard/mouse I always thought of Corsair as a solid brand, but after maybe a solid week of troubleshooting (including a buying a powered USB hub) to figure out why plugging in a controller was freezing up my system, the CAPSLOCK etc. lights weren't working culminating in disabling their drivers/software (and all the extra functionality/customization of the keyboard/mouse), and seeing them recommend firmware resets/software re-installs again and again in the forums (which of course didn't solve the problem, as re-installing the same faulty drivers/software/firmware again doesn't make them any more stable), I'm definitely going to be a lot more wary of Corsair's entire product lineup, particularly their peripherals. In my ~25 years of computing this is the first time I've had issues like this with a mouse/keyboard.

Archived