Corsair Community

Possible problem with 850HX - Monitor losing signal

bgger

I7 950

sabertooth X58

6GB ram

GTX570

850HX

I’ve been running this system for several years without any problems. I started having intermittent problems several months ago with the monitor losing signal at times. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the problem immediately it got way worse. Now the monitor usually loses signal right after the Windows logo appears on start up, or if it does make it to the log in screen, it loses signal within a few minutes.

This is what I have tried so far, and nothing seemed to help:

Uninstalled/reinstalled video drivers

Booted into Safe Mode

Switched monitors

Switched video cards

So if it’s not the monitor or the video card, and the problem persists in safe mode what else could it be besides the 850HX? Any advice is welcome?

Here's more info on my situation. I just checked the voltages in the BIOS and it looks like the 3.3V = 2.944V. So I assume that's bad. Just checked again and it's at 2.928V. The rest of the voltages looks OK. Does this mean the PSU is in fact the problem? And is it time to contact Corsair through their customer support? I think it's still under warranty.

• Corsair Employee

Wait.. the monitor just loses signal and.... the PC is still running? The monitor comes back on? Is the PC locked? Do you have to reboot it?

So far I have zero information here that tells me this has anything to do with the PSU.

Wait.. the monitor just loses signal and.... the PC is still running? The monitor comes back on? Is the PC locked? Do you have to reboot it?

So far I have zero information here that tells me this has anything to do with the PSU.

Yes, the PC is still running, or I would have said it stopped running.

No, the monitor does not just come back on, or I would have said that it comes back on.

The totality of the issue as far as I know, and can figure out, is what I have explained above. So yes, if I want to see anything on the monitor after it loses signal, I have to reboot. Also, the computer does not sprout wings and fly away or burst into flames after the signal is lost, just in case you need to know what else is not happening to help me figure this out.

I think anyone that is here to help has enough information to at least point me in some direction, or give some kind of advice on what I can do next to figure this out. I guess this is not the forum I need to be in for help with this issue.

But just in case, if there is anyone out there that can actually give me some helpfull advice, that would be lovely, and appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

So you're pissed off because I can't determine your problem due to your lack of information? Sorry, but "monitor losing signal at times"" is not a very complete description. I have a Dell Lattitude that, when in the docking station, "loses signal at times". But it eventually comes back.

So really, your problem isn't "monitor losing signal at times". Your PC just plain locks up. Guess what? Every lock up or crash doesn't mean a BSOD. Sometimes everything just goes blank, but the fans, etc. are still spinning.

Yes. Some people will say "boot" instead of "POST". Some people will say "the monitor turns off" instead of "the PC shuts down", so excuse me for not knowing you from Adam.

So if you're going to have an attitude because YOU can't properly describe your own problems, don't get on people for trying to get more information out of you.

If you maintain that kind of attitude, you should feel lucky anyone helps you at all. I know I'm going to stop trying.

• Corsair Employee

That's your opinion. Nothing irrelevant about my questions.

We troubleshoot PCs every day. Many times people say "my monitor loses signal", but this may mean a lock up OR just the "monitor losing signal". Most people don't know that they can check to see if the PC is actually still responding, despite not being able to see anything on the screen, by using keyboard commands to shut down the PC or do other things to see if the PC is actually responding.

But... whatever.

This guy chirping jonnyguru. Must know nothing about computers or power supplies. Literally like the #1 person you want to help you diagnose if your power supply is the issue or if u want a new one the #1 person to go to find the product you need. Seriously you're never going to get help acting like a spoiled child after the 1st response asking for some clarification of your problem.

This guy chirping jonnyguru. Must know nothing about computers or power supplies. Literally like the #1 person you want to help you diagnose if your power supply is the issue or if u want a new one the #1 person to go to find the product you need. Seriously you're never going to get help acting like a spoiled child after the 1st response asking for some clarification of your problem.

Geesh folks. guru started out condescending with his first post and devolved into nonsensical condescending jibber-jabber in his second post. I can’t help it that people use wrong terms to describe things. My description of the issue I am having is accurate (but obviously not complete). When I say the monitor is losing signal, I really mean that the monitor is losing signal. And if you read what I said, it would seem like the next logical place look for the problem is the PSU. I don’t know what the problem is. That’s why I posted in this forum. And I don’t know what’s up with the condescending posts.

And then I get more condescending remarks from the next poster. Wow. I'll be looking somewhere else for answers going forward. Thanks for nothing corsair forums.

Archived