The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 AM
Skreacher's PC Specs

POST ID # = 892165
Skreacher Reputation: 10

I'm not going to sugarcoat this. Hg10 n980 has been the most incredibly frustrating installation of anything I have ever done.

went from working "ok" with temps at 70c at load, thinking that was ok since there was almost no sound. Kinda hard to know whats good when not enough info of others results out in the world.

Ended up remounting a few times with varying results of instant crashes when attempting a stress test..

Finally, I loosened ALL the screws, applied a little extra thermal paste than i'm comfortable with, and barely put any pressure on the thumb screws.

Finally, getting about 60-65 at load thinking thats pretty damn good. I notice a post saying that lifting the card helped for them, so i use a finger to lift the card and it goes down to about 50c or so. Finally got a ziptie and tied it to the tubing for my CPU cooler and getting a steady 45c over 20+minutes on a stress test.. pics to follow.

Temp Test Screenshot

And here is my Super janky Zip-Tie setup

Last edited by Skreacher; 02-21-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: pic too big - changed to URL

Old 07-29-2017, 04:28 PM
Kbird's PC Specs

POST ID # = 913861
Kbird Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinlessViper View Post
Im going to give all these tips ago tonight. i hope i have the same success as you have in the end as ive had the same issues you have initially
@SinlessViper

Did you ever sort out your Issues , I have a H80i-GT I could use too ....if I can still find a NG10 that is....I looked at the Kraken G10 but the H80i-GT isn't listed as Compatible for that , though I thought the H80iGt was Asetek based too.

I have a EVGA 980Ti SC+, @stock, that is hitting thermal limits in FFXIV-HW Benchmark, Valley doesn't seem to push it quite as hard but it eventually throttles down too.

Thx.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 PM

POST ID # = 916065
davey1343 Reputation: 10

6 times I mounted this piece of rubbish.

I thought being quite capable with computers this would be easy and all the people whinging were idiots...

How wrong can you be.

DO NOT BUY THIS.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:47 PM

POST ID # = 917157
Ijzen Reputation: 10
Default miss-alignment N980 / GTX titan X

Does anyone els have issues with the miss-alignment of the purple heat pads on the N980 and the VRM's on a GTX Titan X 12GD5?

I have been trying to search on this forum back but I couldn't find it.

They do not line op properly only covering halve of certain VRM's.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:11 PM

POST ID # = 917426
Ijzen Reputation: 10
Sad

Does anybody know the issue or solution, can it harm if the VRM's are not completely covered by the heatpads?
Thus far no response from Corsair :(
Ticked still not processed, tried to call the technical support twice but after 20 minuteness in Que I gave up.

Very disappointing

Old 09-15-2017, 05:39 AM

POST ID # = 920133
ryoken_1972 Reputation: 10

I wonder if you can help me , I have just bought a hg10 970 , to fit onto my exga card. ive stripped it all down , and I cannot see how this works, , it says its compatable with the evga 970 , but don't look like it will fit, my model number is
d4g-p4-2974-b5 (that's what it looks like :)
I hope some one can help, or have I just wasted 35£ on the adapter and 70 on a new h80i?
cheers
Steve

Old 09-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Banned
Corsair Blake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920179
Corsair Blake Reputation: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken_1972 View Post
I wonder if you can help me , I have just bought a hg10 970 , to fit onto my exga card. ive stripped it all down , and I cannot see how this works, , it says its compatable with the evga 970 , but don't look like it will fit, my model number is
d4g-p4-2974-b5 (that's what it looks like :)
I hope some one can help, or have I just wasted 35£ on the adapter and 70 on a new h80i?
cheers
Steve
Hello there!

Unfortunately, your card is a custom board design and not designated to work correctly with our HG10 bracket. This bracket is meant for reference size 970 series. The screw holes on your board do not match the reference design PCB.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:10 PM

POST ID # = 920198

thank you for your help , at least I know ,
when I was trying to pair the 2 together I noticed that on the right hand side of the card (way from hdmi's) I noticed there was a few capacitors that were stopping , the hg10 sitting properly , however it looked like everything would line up , would it be possible to modify the hg10 to fit this board my creating holes for the capacitors to be accommodated?
or is it just a case of it wont fit return it :)
cheers steve

Last edited by ryoken_1972; 09-15-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned
Corsair Blake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920202

Quote:
thank you for your help , at least I know ,
when I was trying to pair the 2 together I noticed that on the right hand side of the card (way from hdmi's) I noticed there was a few capacitors that were stopping , the hg10 sitting properly , however it looked like everything would line up , would it be possible to modify the hg10 to fit this board my creating holes for the capacitors to be accommodated?
or is it just a case of it wont fit return it :)
cheers steve
Hello Steve,

As much as it pains me to say, it won't fit easily, even with slight modifications.

If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, please let us know!

Old 09-15-2017, 05:17 PM

POST ID # = 920205

Cheers for the reply, ill just return the hg10 and forget water cooling on this card, i suppose i can use the 80i gt on the cpu and replace my few year old 80i , as it does get a tad noisy on high rpm.
thanks again

just seen this post, , wonder if it works as advertised?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=831123

Last edited by ryoken_1972; 09-15-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned
Corsair Blake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920212

Quote:
Cheers for the reply, ill just return the hg10 and forget water cooling on this card, i suppose i can use the 80i gt on the cpu and replace my few year old 80i , as it does get a tad noisy on high rpm.
thanks again

While this modification of the bracket was done well, we don't recommend it. It will void your HG10's warranty and if not done correctly, may cause you some issues. Please do so at your own risk and we are not liable for any damages that may occur before, during, or after the installation of the modded bracket.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Kbird's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920406
Kbird Reputation: 10

Quote:
thanks again

I ended up with a Kraken G12 which works with the H80i-GT and my EVGA 980ti SC, I used a thick copper shim , as I didn't want to remove the Backplate from the 980ti.
It is working well the Card is now 20-25degC cooler and runs about the same underload as it did at idle before ....

This is my card , this review has good pics ....though i think i saw a list of actual cards for the G12 somewhere....
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...80_Ti_SC_Plus/

Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 PM
davidcarlsentwi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985887
davidcarlsentwi Reputation: 10
Firstly, let me apologize for resurrecting a thread from the dead. But shockingly as far as advice goes for utilizing the HG10 N980 (N970 too probably) this thread has been the most helpful place I could find.

I am in IT and have built many PC's. I am in no means a professional Boutique PC builder and I largely used the HG10 because I didn't want the hassle of a full blocked water cooling system.

With this in mind I decided to create an account to post here and pull together the tips I found most helpful in my install, please note few (if any) of these suggestions are mine alone:

Products:

Asus Titan X - Maxwell
Corsair H100i
Corsair HG10 N980

Results:

Before Install:
83c (software limit on video card for protection) @ 100% GPU usage.

After Install:
42-44c @ 100% GPU usage before heatsoak.
46-49c @ 100% GPU usage after heatsoak.

Note: Highly recommend you watch the video by Matt Dickens at the end of this post, it is almost an hour long but it is a very accurate representation of the process for utilizing the HG10 and will give you an idea of what things should look like. His post with this video is on page 61. I only re-share because his video was extremely helpful to this installation and I consider it important enough to share even on page 62.

Suggestions:

1. Removing the Stock Reference cooler can be difficult, make sure that all screws holding the heat sink to the Video card are removed, including the I/O shield on the back of the video card. It may remove easily, or it may require some very minor elbow grease. Don't forget the 3pin fan connection to the Video Card.

1a. Replace the I/O shield when finished.

2. Remove the Thermal Double Sided tape from the GPU and replace with the Thermal Double Sided Tape on the HG10, as in remove the tape from the HG10 and put it directly on the board before installing the HG10 itself. I strongly recommend that you do this one at a time to make sure you don't get lost, note that NVIDIA used many small pieces of tape where Corsair uses longer strips. I found that the Thermal Tape provided is longer/larger then the areas it covers. So it shouldn't be difficult to have it cover the needed areas.

3. When attaching the HG10 to the Video card, use only light pressure. Finger tight plus 1 or 1.5 rotations with the screwdriver if appropriate. I cannot stress enough that this step varies on peoples hand/finger strength. What I can say fairly confidentially is that it does NOT need to be super tight. That has been reiterated over and over again. Also note to plug in the fan that comes with the HG10, the cord might try to wedge itself where it doesn't belong. Use a small screwdriver to redirect it to the "empty space" if this happens. Don't tighten one side of the card and then the other, use diagonal patterns when tightening screws.

4. Use Isopropyl alcohol to clean the Thermal paste off the GPU, only clean the Corsair AIO Cooler if reusing a used one or if you do not intend to use the stock Paste from Corsair.

5. Stage the Video card and radiator in your case, you do not need to actually install them, but it is critical that you determine which PCI-E slot you will be using, and the least stress to the card that can be achieved. In a normal case the GPU chip will be facing downward, determine which direction the pump needs to be installed onto the GPU chip to insure the least amount of stress on the tubes and thus your card as possible. Do this before you install the pump to the GPU

6. Install the Pump to the GPU, again finger tight only plus maybe 1 to 1.5 rotations with a screwdriver. It is imperative that the pressure applied to each corner be equal. If you must risk "loose" versus "Tight" always aim for loose. The Pump should not slide on the GPU, but that is as tight as it should ever be.

7. Purchase a Video Card/GPU Support Brace. Anything to get weight off the PCI-E slot is recommended. The following is what I used but is by no means the only option, only an example. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077LGLN4G

8. When installing the GPU keep a grip on the radiator. When maneuvering the Video Card and the Radiator they should always be roughly in the same position as they will be in the Case.

9. The GPU Fan will not spin on effectively due to the lower temps, utilize GPU tweak II or afterburner (or similar program) to custom build a fan curve on the new temps. For example I have mine to go at 100% at around 50C. While gaming my GPU fan is anywhere between 60-80%. This is important as the GPU fan cools the board itself, VRAM, etc.

I strongly recommend a form of stress test or benchmark (with GPU temp etc.) be run before and after this install, so improvements or problems can be clearly diagnosed.

It took me approximately 2-3 Hours to do this modification, as I double checked everything I was working on.

I have only installed 1 of these HG10's, and found the lack of information on them frustrating, not to mention the hilariously modest installation guide that came with it. That said I did find this thread quite helpful.

The product so far is working quite well for me. Please note that none of this is professional advice and is only intended as an aid, there is an unspoken assumption that anyone utilizing this product understands basic PC building processes. Everyone must use their own judgement and care, in particular when it comes to Video Card modifications.

Thank you and Good Luck!

My Build:

Last edited by davidcarlsentwi; 12-18-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixed Link, Editing, Modified Language, Added Photo.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:11 PM
BadBoyBasil's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1045476
BadBoyBasil Reputation: 10
Default **HELP** Temp Issues Hg10 & 980ti

Hi there so I recently got the Corsair HG10 n980 bracket for my reference evga 980 ti.
I also purchased a corsair h100i v2 for it.
Bracket went on no problem, cooler seemed to of needed the spacers but seemed slightly lose when installed. I have the radiator in a push pull configuration and I have both the pump and fans on a fan controller at the moment.
I fired up my PC and the idle temps seem high, at the desktop it's 70°c and both fans and pump are 100% it would cool down eventually to low 60's l. As soon as I go into gpu tweak and run a 1080p benchmark my temp automatically shoots to 90°c and my gpu thermally throttles, instantly.

I'm going to try turning my PC on it's side and see if there is air trapped in there, and if that doesn't work I have a h60 cooler im going to try.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated, I'll post my updates.

***Update****
So I got home, tilted my PC on it's side and turned it on, I heard a rush of air from the GPU cooler (h100i v2), and my temps were much better! Idle at like 25°c and max load was 63°c. It was air trapped in the pump not allowing it to exchange heat.

Now my next project, build a new horizontal mounted PC case! I'll post what I come up with, I think you guys will like it!

Last edited by BadBoyBasil; 05-11-2020 at 06:03 PM.