Corsair Community

Not able to control fan speed on non-stock H100i Pro RGB fans

mehff

When I plug the stock corsair fans into the pump fan splitter, I am able to set the fan "fixed %" value between 0% and 100% and the fans will adjust rpm, just like it should. When i plug in the Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC 2000 PWM fans that I intended to use with this AIO, the fans run at 0 rpm when the "fixed %" is set between 0-99%. When I put the value to 100% the fans will then turn on to 100%. so the problem is that I am unable to get the fan to run at any percent value between 0-99%. I've tried all the different curves as well as custom curves but the fans will still only spin at either 0 or 100%. I'm using Corsair link version 4.9.9.3 and I've tried using ICUE with no avail. The pump 3-pin is connected to CPU-Pump fan header; Sata-power and the corsair link usb cable are properly connected. I'd appreciate some help on this. Edited by mehff

The Noctua Industrial series were intended for their named use and there are some different elements to them than the rest of the Noctua line. It is common for people to have control issues with the 3000 rpm variant on Corsair controllers. Not so much on the 2000 rpm PWM and I used the A14i 2000 rpm for several years on my H115i Pro and continue to do so on my Commander Pro. Another user recently complained of similar control issues, but they were using the Platinum cooler which likely has a different PWM controller than the Pro line. I had attributed it to that, but perhaps there has been a change on the Noctua end as well. All my Industrial F12 and A14s are first issue from several years back.

If you are determined to use those fans, you may need to move to MB control. I don't know what options AS Rock offers, but if your board has a 2 pin 10K thermistor probe input, you can run that cheap sensor cable to the exhaust side of the radiator and it will be the same as coolant temp (more or less) and provide a realistic control option vs CPU temp. Another option would be to send the Noctua back (if they are new) and try the ML120 Pro (black). There is going to be zero performance difference and the fans are very similar. I just finished a month of testing both on 2x360mm radiator and to my surprise, I prefer the ML at middle speed. They have a softer tone in my max of 1300-1500 rpm. In the past I would have leaned toward the Noctua.

Other fans to be careful of are the EK Vardar PWM and BeQuiet PWM. Both show the same quirky behavior and it is some kind of PWM signal incompatibility.

The Noctua Industrial series were intended for their named use and there are some different elements to them than the rest of the Noctua line. It is common for people to have control issues with the 3000 rpm variant on Corsair controllers. Not so much on the 2000 rpm PWM and I used the A14i 2000 rpm for several years on my H115i Pro and continue to do so on my Commander Pro. Another user recently complained of similar control issues, but they were using the Platinum cooler which likely has a different PWM controller than the Pro line. I had attributed it to that, but perhaps there has been a change on the Noctua end as well. All my Industrial F12 and A14s are first issue from several years back.

If you are determined to use those fans, you may need to move to MB control.

I've played around with the bios settings and nothing seems to fix the problem. I'm somewhat determined to use these fans as I have three other noctua fans in the system. The fans are new and I may have accidentally tore up one box a little so It would be hard returning them and swapping them for the Noctua Chromax ones. Seems I have to resort to MB control.

With the pump using one fan header, I only have 2 available fan headers for 5 fans. I'll have to use a three-way splitter for the case fans which I feel uncomfortable using even though the fans fall under the 1 Amp limit (0,18 A + 0,13 A + 0,1 A). I'll also loose the ability to fine tune each fan for noise.

The F12 Industrials are not following directions on the BIOS too? That is unusual.

You can definitely use the two F12i 2000 rpm on a splitter. The Pro cooler only needs the MB connection to report a pump speed to the BIOS. As long as you are still using iCUE, you can see the pump speed there. You can disconnect it if you have to. Radiator fans could go on CPU fan instead. Hopefully that saves you other headers.

You can safely triple up on standard Noctua models - no problem. However, in the interests of control, presumably 2 of them are pair (either top or front) and can be linked via splitter too.

Connecting the noctua fans directly to the motherboard via a splitter still doesn't grant me the ability to control its speeds between 0 and 99%. So it's either a motherboard issue or a problem with the fans. Seeing as other fans worked just fine, I think I will return the industrial ones and replace them with chromax fans.

The Pro cooler only needs the MB connection to report a pump speed to the BIOS.

You mean I can unplug the 3-pin from the pump and just have the USB corsair link cable and sata power connected? Freeing up one more header would be perfect.

You mean I can unplug the 3-pin from the pump and just have the USB corsair link cable and sata power connected? Freeing up one more header would be perfect.

Yes, the only thing you lose is the ability to see a pump speed in the BIOS or other software that reports that header. Also, if the pump were to fail at power on, you won't get a CPU_FAN ERROR warning from the BIOS, but you only get that on CPU fan anyway and it will be evident enough as the fans go crazy.

Yes, the only thing you lose is the ability to see a pump speed in the BIOS or other software that reports that header. Also, if the pump were to fail at power on, you won't get a CPU_FAN ERROR warning from the BIOS, but you only get that on CPU fan anyway and it will be evident enough as the fans go crazy.

Freeing up that fan header and using it for the Noctua fans got them to work as intended. I am finally able to control them! :) Won't be returning them after all. Thank you so much for the help; I really appreciate it :biggrin: