Corsair Community

Will the 780T hardware fan controller work with fans like the LL120 RGB fans?

Pepijn

Hello,

I'm new here, quite recently made my build (which, as you can see, contains only Corsair stuff except the mobo and graphics card). It was largely by accident, but it turns out all of my build is from Corsair, so I guess this is the best place to ask questions.

I'm looking to (later, probably for Christmas) replace the front fans of the 780T as I don't like the way the led lights shine. One option is to replace them by either 3x LL120 RGB or by 2x LL140 RGB, both with a Lighting Node Pro.

However, the front and back fans are controlled using the front panel, hence only using hardware (no connection to the mobo). According to user c-attack in this thread, the front panel controller is a DC controller. The LL series are PWM.

So: is it possible to control the fans using the front panel, while controlling it's RGB with the Lighting Node Pro (via USB 2.0)? I clearly have no idea what DC and PWM mean here, so maybe this question is trivial, but I really don't know.

Thank you in advance!

The reverse is true here and the 4 pin PWM fans like the HD, LL, and ML series will not work with the case fan controller. The case controller sets the voltage to 5, 7, or 12v.

PWM fans need 12v all the time. It's full speed or nothing. You would want to power and control the fans from your motherboard or another PWM fan controller, like a Commander Pro.

Also be aware most current RGB fans are not just plug and play. There are additional requirements with one power path for lighting and and another for actual fan power/speed control. If you have not already seen it, review the guide thread below.

Zotty's Guide

Thank you for your clear reply. Then, as a final question:

The front panel has a SATA and a molex power cable. If I were to connect the fans to a NoPro or CoPro instead, does that mean the SATA cable is freed up? Or will disconnecting the sata power disable some leds or buttons (aside from the fan speed button)?

As far as I know, that is for fan power only. Most cases have those same functions and do not draw power from anything besides the motherboard single connector wires (at least until you turn the front of the case into a Las Vegas style lighting display). You should be able to use that SATA PSU cable for the Commander Pro, RGB Lighting Hub, etc

• 4 weeks later...