Corsair Community

Corsair One (GTX1080) upgradablility in 2020?

JC-42

That is a Noctua A12x15 PWM in an a100 (3900x / 2080 Super). The bottom of the fan casing is resting on the hard drive tray, and it is flush against the radiator. The fan hub is directly in contact with the highest point of the CPU block. Works wonderfully, easily dropped CPU temps 15-20c. Easy mod, and nets at least another 100Mhz of boost speed due to not being at 95c.

This also gives the added benefit of cooling the memory stuff around the CPU that is normally cooled by a down-firing CPU cooler.

That is pretty neat I have to say! Never thought of trying a slim fan. Nice job.

I posted some pics of what I've done in the linked forum. Post #3.

https://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=201782

• 2 weeks later...
So just ordered a 3070 MSI Ventus 2x oc and gonna try stuffing that bad boy in mine ;). How's your eagle holding up?

Nice!!! You should have no problems fitting that card. Please post photos when you are done. :cool:

I was going to get that one originally until I realised I could fit the eagle. The eagle is doing really well. The DisplayPort and HDMI junction on the case does get a bit toasty as hot air does get blown onto it, but it still going well with no issues.

Did yours come with power adapter or is that just for the 3080+? What did you do for yours this card is a 2x8pin plug. Also have the same 600W PSU you have, so should be fine yea? I wonder if there's a way to get the AIO on this card? Edited by zguy85

Did yours come with power adapter or is that just for the 3080+? What did you do for yours this card is a 2x8pin plug. Also have the same 600W PSU you have, so should be fine yea? I wonder if there's a way to get the AIO on this card?

No power adapter. I think the adapter was for the founders edition cards. Mine has 1x8 pin and 1x6 pin. I've kept the same 600W supply. It is enough. I'm not overclocking and instead I've undervolted both CPU and GPU (for better temperatures and clock speeds). Best thing to do is to use one cable for each pin connector. Try not to use a splitter.

An AIO would be tough to fit given the tight space and you would most likely have to do some serious modifications to the case. It would have to be a slim radiator to start with. Maybe a custom loop?

I do think the case is actually quite optimised for air cooling as it doesn't have any filters on the side so you get better air flow.

Edited by EchoSierra

Hi everyone I have been following some of the threads and I thought I would let everyone know what I have been able to install in the first gen C1 that had the 7700k/1080ti

Asus Rog strix x570i motherboard

Amd 5600x

750watt corsair psu

Evga xc3 ultra rtx 3080

Some rgb strips as well as rgb ring on the top fan which I swapped for a noctua 3000rpm

Once nzxt brings out the new kraken g12 I plan to watercooled the new gpu by refilling the loop with an asetek compatible pump

I was also able to hardwire my Oculus wireless adapter in using an m. 2 pcie adapter and installing the card where the bottom hdd tray would be

https://app.photobucket.com/u/kiwikewl/a/48546629-b9e2-4155-95b8-36fa8b39a566

Edited by kiwikewl

Hi everyone I have been following some of the threads and I thought I would let everyone know what I have been able to install in the first gen C1 that had the 7700k/1080ti

Asus Rog strix x570i motherboard

Amd 5600x

750watt corsair psu

Evga xc3 ultra rtx 3080

Some rgb strips as well as rgb ring on the top fan which I swapped for a noctua 3000rpm

Once nzxt brings out the new kraken g12 I plan to watercooled the new gpu by refilling the loop with an asetek compatible pump

I was also able to hardwire my Oculus wireless adapter in using an m. 2 pcie adapter and installing the card where the bottom hdd tray would be

https://app.photobucket.com/u/kiwikewl/a/48546629-b9e2-4155-95b8-36fa8b39a566

Nicely done!!! That is one tasty looking little beast. And thanks for confirming that a 3080 can fit in this system. Looking forward to seeing your custom liquid cooling.

Nice job Kiwikewl! Love the photos also looking forward to possibility of liquid cooling. I want to see if there's a way to use the stock AIO? Maybee someone can come up with some custom ideaz or way to implement another AIO into the case.

JB weld could probably get that OG AIO on and working np... who needs a bracket... right? Lol

Edited by zguy85

Nice job Kiwikewl! Love the photos also looking forward to possibility of liquid cooling. I want to see if there's a way to use the stock AIO? Maybee someone can come up with some custom ideaz or way to implement another AIO into the case.

JB weld could probably get that OG AIO on and working np... who needs a bracket... right? Lol

I plan to use an asetek pump the round style with the clips sticking out I am waiting for the new nzxt kraken g12 adapter to come out because the old one requires alot of modification to work on the 3080. I will then attach that pump to the stock rad

I purchased a square old style corsair h110 hydro to put on the original 1080ti since its a drop in replacement then I can use it in another system while keeping the stock rad from the ONE

https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/kraken-g12

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by kiwikewl

I plan to use an asetek pump the round style with the clips sticking out I am waiting for the new nzxt kraken g12 adapter to come out because the old one requires alot of modification to work on the 3080. I will then attach that pump to the stock rad

I purchased a square old style corsair h110 hydro to put on the original 1080ti since its a drop in replacement then I can use it in another system while keeping the stock rad from the ONE

https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/kraken-g12

How are the noise and temps and it currently sits now?

They are not horrible maxes out at around 74deg but could be quieter, I need to get a better software to control the cpu fan because the motherboard doesn't have very precise control of the 3000rpm noctua in using. I am getting a pair of 120mm fans I'm going to deshroud the gpu and install them I will post with the result

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I know im late to the party, but my Corsair one (2017) died on me starting of December and I decided to upgrade as well:

Specs

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550i

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

GPU: Asus RTX 3070 Dual OC

PSU: Corsair SF 750

Attached is GPU/mobo pic.

Finishing touches

Since this was a pre-built and i dont have spare parts, Im waiting on an AMD mounting bracket to reinstall the CPU AIO cooler (using stock AMD wraith for now) and will switch the top fan to motherboard side, since im not tearing apart the new gpu to install the GPU AIO cooler.

Install issues to look out for

Im not an expert by any means and was able to do this, although i did have moderate trouble getting the usb bios flash for the mobo for new Ryzen chip. It took many tries and I also had to put the gpu directly into the motherboard: The PCIe3 riser cable was giving issues between the PCIe4 slots on the GPU and the motherboard. After starting up the bios, I could change the PCIe slot to GEN3 and then use the riser cable (there are youtube vids where the difference is minimal to gaming).

I should've gotten the 570i mobo, but ah well. So much for saving money. The USB Gen 3.2 slot is one slot further, and thus the custom usb front cord Corsair made is just a hair short. I very rarely use the front usb anyways, so not a big loss for me.

Boy working on the 2017 case was tight. I have many scratched knuckles. I take it the newer models you can remove the bottom or additional walls??

Look forward to seeing how it performs soon!

3070.thumb.jpg.52ef37a174bbd6a393c5949c5c957c79.jpg

b550i.thumb.jpg.dab2ee1068f055876fe974e4e5f3b021.jpg

AmateurHour that is a job well done!

I wasn't sure if that Asus 3070 would fit but I'm glad you managed. Yeah we have to wait for riser cables that support pcie 4.0 which I think at the moment it's just one brand. But yeah not much difference with 3.0.

For future reference the case does have 4 screws that hold the bottom which you can remove so it is easier to work on. You can also remove the wall with the logo and the I/O wall. They are clipped in three places you may need a flat head screw driver to just unclip them a little.

Good work though. It's really nice to see more people upgrading the OG Corsair One. It is in my opinion, one of the nicest ITX cases out there.

Haha oh geez. Thanks EchoSierra for sharing about removing the panels. That wouldve made things alot easier!

With the asus dual oc 3070, it is a tight fit width wise. I had to shimmy it in and also remove the hdmi/power extensions blocks for the install, then reinstall them. The card isnt in bracket perfectly, but its so tight it doesn't move.

I could make some room if i change out the pcie cables to the psu. But from what i read, its preferred to have two separate cables for each 8pin and not use a single dual 6+2. So right now im using the two cables that are dual 6+2 that came with the sf750 psu (with one of the 6+2 taking up deadspace on each cable. Bah!)

Im aware the Corsair sf family power supply cables are interchangeable, but does it matter if the psu cable was from gold rated sf400 to use on a platinum sf750? Does the cables matter when changing psu rating? Then i could use the 8pin from the original build and/or buy another one

Haha oh geez. Thanks EchoSierra for sharing about removing the panels. That wouldve made things alot easier!

With the asus dual oc 3070, it is a tight fit width wise. I had to shimmy it in and also remove the hdmi/power extensions blocks for the install, then reinstall them. The card isnt in bracket perfectly, but its so tight it doesn't move.

I could make some room if i change out the pcie cables to the psu. But from what i read, its preferred to have two separate cables for each 8pin and not use a single dual 6+2. So right now im using the two cables that are dual 6+2 that came with the sf750 psu (with one of the 6+2 taking up deadspace on each cable. Bah!)

Im aware the Corsair sf family power supply cables are interchangeable, but does it matter if the psu cable was from gold rated sf400 to use on a platinum sf750? Does the cables matter when changing psu rating? Then i could use the 8pin from the original build and/or buy another one

Definitely keep using two cables per connector. That should always be done. As far as I'm aware, the cables are the same. At least in my case I am actually using the OG cable that came with system. The GTX 1070 back in the day only had one 8 pin connector. Once I upgraded to 600W and a 2070S a year ago, I just added one more cable and called it a day. Have not had any problems for the last 3 years going from 1070 to 2070S and now a 3070.

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody.

I posted my questions in the wrong topic, so I guess it's more its place here.

I am the proud owner of a Corsair One Pro 1 Gen with the GTX 1080 in it. I am in love with this machine but the 1080 is way outdated now for what I am doing and I would like to upgrade it. I came across this topic and was super happy to see that it was possible.

I've never build any computer and have no experience, but I'm trying to gather infos to see if I can do something.

I am planning to add more ram, but that is pretty easy, and would like to put a RTX 3060 in it. I guess that I will have to change the PSU to do that. It's the SF400 in it so I guess it's not going to do the job for a 3060. Or I might try to go for a RTX 3080 Turbo as it seems to fit. I think that for a Turbo I will have to plug another 8 pin to it, but if I go for the 3060, maybe nothing to change as it's a simple 8 pin.

For my choice on the 3060 it is mainly for the 12gigs of Vram as I am doing mostly 3D render with GPU and I prefer to sacrifice a bit of speed to get more Vram. And a 3090 turbo is out of budget for sure.

So my first question is: Can I put a SF600 or 750 in it by just removing the previous one, put the new one and connect all the original cables into it, or I will have to redo the whole cables inside? Some people are saying to you need to use the cables that comes with the new unit, but since it's the same brand, same size and all the parts inside will be almost the same, could it be done the easy way?

And my second question: In order to put the new graphic card, I guess that I will have to remove the old one and the cooling system that comes with it and then I will have the room to put the 3060 and it will be cooled by the fans then. From what I've read in this topic, the power for the top fan comes from the cooling on the GPU. Did I read correctly that I could plug it to the cooler of the CPU or I got that wrong?

The turbo seems to be a good option as it will be able to suck air from the side panel and blow it towards the top of the case. Maybe all the display cables might become too hot?

Any advice? Will it be a nightmare or it will be fairly straight forward?

Thanks in advance and thanks for sharing all your upgrade, it's really inspiring.

Hey @MikeDC. Nice to see you want to upgrade your 2017 C1. I have one myself but mine came with an air cooled GTX 1070. So this made it easier to upgrade the graphics card. Now it is rocking an RTX 3070. I've also upgraded the motherboard and the CPU.

To answer your first question, yes absolutely you can install an SF600 or SF750 as they are both the same size as the original PSU. If you go for the RTX 3060 then SF600 will be enough. If you go for the RTX 3080 then definitely you should go with the SF750. I installed the SF600 in mine and it works like a charm. I am also using the original cable that was connected to the GTX 1070 without issues, I just had to add a second cable as my graphics card came with two power connectors. That second cable was just from the cables that came with the new SF600 PSU.

Now for the second question. This will be a little more involved because you have the liquid cooled GPU.

• First of all, yes you will have to remove all that GPU assembly in order to install an air cooled graphics card.
  • The top fan is indeed connected to the GPU cooler. No you cannot connect it to the CPU cooler. However, you can try and swap coolers and use the GPU cooler on the CPU side as they are both the same size and the bracket is actually the same geometry as the CPU side. How I know this is that since my C1 came with an air cooled graphics card, the CPU cooler on mine is actually the one used for the GPU cooler on yours. You will need to be careful with the tubes as they are long but you should be able to fit it. Worth the try because if successful, the top fan will still be able to react to both GPU and CPU temps; whichever runs hotter.
  • In terms of going for a TURBO version of any graphics card, the two downsides are noise (it can sound like a mini jet engine), and GPU temps (turbo cards usually run in the 80C range, though this is by design). You should be fine with a triple fan graphics card but you might need to undervolt the GPU so it draws less power and thus produces less heat so your display ports and cables don't get too hot. I have a triple fan GPU in mine. I do undervolt as I play games for extended periods of time.
  • In terms of size these are the dimensions of mine for reference: L=282 W=115 H=41 mm. This leaves plenty of room for cables and the card fits nicely.
  • I highly recommend to upgrade the top fan to improve air flow and cooling. I have a Noctua NF-A14 PWM black which runs at up to 1500RPM which is a nice compromise between noise and cooling compared to the original fan which tops at 1200RPM.

In terms of the build itself, it will require patience simply because there is not a lot of space. But it won't be too challenging as long as you are willing to understand how the system is put together. 

Let us know how you go. Looking forward to it!

Wow Thanks a lot for all those super useful answers EchoSierra.

I think I will drop the idea of the 3080 as I don't like the idea of having a "jet engine" next to me. I actually have a laptop with a 2070 Super in it and it's almost impossible to work with as it's super loud everytime I do a 3D render. That's the main reason I wanted to find a solution to upgrade my One.

For the fan, if I don't swap the cooling from the old GPU to the CPU, can you please let me know where I need to connect it? I have the impression that I've read that some people are connecting it to the motherboard? Or do I have to manage to reconnect it to the graphic card somehow?

For the moment the cards I am considering are the Gigabyte 3060 Eagle OC with two fans and the Gigabyte 3060 Gaming OC. I think the last one is almost the same size as yours, and the Eagle is a tiny bit more wide. Will have to check what fits better. Maybe the 3 fans in a better option if it fits inside.

I will keep you posted when I move forward with this. I was planning to do this during the summer, when prices will go down a bit more and who knows, maybe the 4000 series will be there :))

Thanks again for all your great help.

No problem. Any time!

For the top fan, you can connect it to the motherboard to one of the fan headers. But be aware that you will loose the feature that allows the fan to react to GPU temps as well. If the fan is connected directly to the motherboard, it will only react to CPU temps which means if the GPU is working hard but not the CPU, the GPU might be throwing heat into the case. Just keep in mind things might get hot. The way to counter this would be to manually set a fan speed for the top fan using software for when you use the GPU heavily.

One thing you will need to do if you want to connect the fan to the motherboard, is to buy a PWM extension cable. The fan connector is quite short so you will need minimum a 300mm extension cable so you can connect it to the motherboard. Here's an example https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=486&area=en

Definitely go with the Gaming OC. It should fit just fine and you get better cooling with three fans than the dual fan Eagle. 

Good luck with it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 7:19 PM, EchoSierra said:

No problem. Any time!

For the top fan, you can connect it to the motherboard to one of the fan headers. But be aware that you will loose the feature that allows the fan to react to GPU temps as well. If the fan is connected directly to the motherboard, it will only react to CPU temps which means if the GPU is working hard but not the CPU, the GPU might be throwing heat into the case. Just keep in mind things might get hot. The way to counter this would be to manually set a fan speed for the top fan using software for when you use the GPU heavily.

One thing you will need to do if you want to connect the fan to the motherboard, is to buy a PWM extension cable. The fan connector is quite short so you will need minimum a 300mm extension cable so you can connect it to the motherboard. Here's an example https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=486&area=en

Definitely go with the Gaming OC. It should fit just fine and you get better cooling with three fans than the dual fan Eagle. 

Good luck with it!

I’m not sure if it’s been posted on this forum yet since I’ve been away a little while but the software called Fan Control that jayztwocents did a video on 3 weeks ago is perfect for our systems. You can have the fan ramp up based off of multiple inputs and fine tune everything. Works really well for me since I’ve replaced every single part except the passive radiators and didn’t want to deal with the old software and it’s “nuances”. I quoted you because you helped me in the past and seem to be on top of everything Corsair One related. I’d add a link to his video or the GitHub download but I think I remember something about not posting links for some reason. 

@Srfsean Hey great idea, my concern is that for those of us with factory set ups, will it work with iCue, would we have to move connectors from pumps and fans directly to mobo.  What exactly is entailed for us to work with that software without conflicting with iCue?

My understanding is we still need iCue to control the pumps?  I'm pretty sure it's not as simple as download and go without changes to system fan/pump connections.

If you could entail what would be necessary it would be appreciated.

Hello everybody. I still haven't started to upgrade my C1 as I am away for a moment. Just wanted to know if a 3080 TI Founders Edition would fit in a C1 2017?

It seems that the prices are getting lower for those and from the spec on Nvidia website, it seems it could fit. Any advise on those?

Thanks in advance.