Corsair Community

Corsair Force MP510 960GB for laptop?

Jortdejong13

Hi,

I have a dell xps 9560 laptop with a Toshiba XG5 512GB ssd.

I would like to upgrade to a 960GB ssd.

My first choice would be the Corsair Force MP510 960GB.

But after comparing the specs with my current ssd, I noticed that the power usage of the Corsair is 6.9 Watt versus the 4.5 Watt of my current SSD.

(source: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/compare/1256501;1149885/)

I am a bit worried that the Corsair would be too hot for my laptop.

Is the corsair intended for laptops or does it require airflow?

Can anyone give me advice? Thanks ahead.

Jort de Jong

• 1 month later...

I have a Dell Inspiron 7590 purchased in Nov 2019. I purchased this model due to it access to internals so that I could upgrade it.

I have a Corsair MP510 960GB NVME drive that I have been using in an Intel NUC running Linux that I transplanted into the Dell Inspiron.

I used the Dell tools to reload Windows 10 and everything was great until a few issues cropped up after a few days of use:

1. Windows Restart using start->restart would hang in the POST section of the process.

2. Sleep wouldn't work

3. Shutdown and cold boots were fine

I tried a lot of things like power settings mentioned on forums, BIOS changes to secure boot and SATA settings ( Turning off intel RAID default and going to AHCI )

After a few days of trying different things I called up Dell Support not expecting to a lot from them. Fortunately I also had Dell Pro support on this laptop which meant that I got straight through to a knowledgeable support person.

They confirmed that I had tried everything reasonably possible to get this to work however in the Dell Users guide this model is supported upto 512GB on the M2 slot.

While it works fine* ( *with the annoyance issues above ) with the 960GB drive in there it's possible that the Dell BIOS may not be 'polished' to deal with larger capacity, or there is a firmware incompatibility with the Corsair drive ( I am using the latest FW ). It's reportedly a Toshiba chip under the Corsair brand and the Dell support rep mentioned there is a load of internal cases with Toshiba SSD's within the system however FW updates fixed most issues.

I will go back to the original Hynix NVME SSD for now an try maybe try a Samsung later down the track. The Corsair works great in the NUC however.

My advice is check the supported SSD limits from Dell ( even though going past the SSD capacity limits should be fine ) and possibly find someone on the forums who has upgraded your laptop successfully and stick with that brand combo.

I buy Corsair gear and will continue to buy it as it's quality stuff however in this particular case it hasn't quite worked out.

• 6 months later...
  • Corsair Employee

Notebooks (and systems based on mobile chipsets) can be tricky. Updating BIOS/firmware generally helps iron out some quirks with onboard devices.

As far as increased heat/power usage, it really boils down to the specific model of notebook if there is adequate cooling. There are 3rd party heatsinks that can be added for this purpose, though again, physical size may be an issue depending on the notebook model.