Corsair Community

High Temperatures with H80i and an i7-3770k @100% load

Arite

I have just installed a new H80i cooler for my Intel Core i7-3770k. This was a replacement for the stock Intel reference cooler (which let the CPU get to mid/high 80 deg C, and even 90 deg C at 100% load). I cleaned the old excess thermal grease using 99% Isopropyl Alcohol before installing the H80i.

I have mounted the H80i radiator between the two supplied 120mm fans to the rear of the chassis (a Cooler Master Centurion 6) with the fans in-taking cooler air from the outside of the chassis as recommended.

My CPU is overclocked to 3.9GHz (what my motherboard automatically selected).

After about 20 minutes of running Prime95 (with both the H80i fans set to Quiet Mode - note when in Balanced mode the CPU and H80i temperatures were similar) here is a screenshot of CorsairLINK 2:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2384/corsairlink2.png

So the CPU temperature is at 76.1 deg C whilst the H80i is at 28.2 deg C.

That shows a delta T of 47.9 deg C between the CPU core temperatures and the H80i (radiator/working fluid?) temperature.

Is this normal? I understand the the 3770k Ivy Bridge is a hot chip, but I didn't expect it to be getting into the mid/high 70s after just a few minutes. To me the H80i temperature being almost 50 deg C lower than the CPU implies it's not working effectively as it should be?

I have checked that the pump is firmly seated on top of the CPU by loosening the screws a bit, checking it's in place, then re-tightening them.

Is this normal behaviour for this chip under load with an H80i?

Cheers, Arite.

i would recommend not using motherboard easy overclocking as it usually does not do a good job

can you check the voltage?

H80i vs cpu temp of 50C is normal...the fluid will not get that hot

the temps seem fine...but if you lower voltage if its super high might help lower temps a bit on the downside of decreased stability

obviously you havent messed with oc setting as the 3770k is factory set at 3.9 turbo boost,you should have lower cpu temps and higher water temps after a 20 min. load

eithe your tim needs to cure or most likely the tim isnt applied properly or the block isnt seated properly.try pressing on the block to see if temps drop.

i would recommend not using motherboard easy overclocking as it usually does not do a good job

can you check the voltage?

H80i vs cpu temp of 50C is normal...the fluid will not get that hot

the temps seem fine...but if you lower voltage if its super high might help lower temps a bit on the downside of decreased stability

The V core is ~1.18V at 100% load.

your water temp is quite low for 20 min of full load ,with 76 c temp

did you use a tim that requires curing?

I used the pre-applied thermal grease.

ok need more info

ambient temp

voltage

that would help alot

according to temps of graphics card and hard drives...id say about 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit in room?

Here's a screenshot of HWMonitor:

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5418/hwmonitorv.png

FYI the H80i was at 29.5 deg C at that point (according to CorsairLINK).

So ambient temperature is probably what you said in the low 20s (deg C) (68-70s in Fahrenheit).

obviously you havent messed with oc setting as the 3770k is factory set at 3.9 turbo boost,you should have lower cpu temps and higher water temps after a 20 min. load

eithe your tim needs to cure or most likely the tim isnt applied properly or the block isnt seated properly.try pressing on the block to see if temps drop.

Yes that sounds right, I haven't tweaked anything, only what the motherboard did (which may have been nothing if it's already set to 3.9GHz).

Pressing firmly on the block didn't seem to make any difference. It's already firmly in place.

Does that mean I should purchase some thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5 for example), clean off the old stuff, and re-seat it with the new paste?

Thanks, Arite.

• 1 month later...

Archived