The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 AM
crazybear's PC Specs

POST ID # = 655220
crazybear Reputation: 10

Just a note. I'm 99.9% sure I downloaded a very complex computer script someone wrote which they said would make the keyboard work on Linux..but can't now find the file nor the website....also dont know how to compile it nor if it works....native support would be the way to go....MS might have more sheep, but it is a dying breed.....IMHO.

Anyone know why my calculator pops up when I turn the keyboard lights on in Ubuntu...its not something I can't live with..but would like to turn that 'off'. Otherwise it works fine short of the G keys. [its major feature].

Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
rashdanml's PC Specs

POST ID # = 655279
rashdanml Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybear View Post
Just a note. I'm 99.9% sure I downloaded a very complex computer script someone wrote which they said would make the keyboard work on Linux..
I vaguely remember seeing it somewhere too. Link: https://github.com/jupiter126/k90-test Think it's based on programming the internal memory in windows, then using it on linux. Not sure though.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM

POST ID # = 656978
eeg Reputation: 10

Dear Corsair,

Linux users understand and appreciate good hardware. We are the power users, the sys-admins, the programmers, the engineers, the scientists and 90% of the time, we are also the gamers.

We don't mind paying a premium for hardware that we like. The question is, do you want us to use your products? Do you want to be the preferred hardware for the IT gurus and stars in the office/lab/studio? Don't you want people to look at that crack coder in the office and go: "Gee, he's using a Corsair K90 isn't he?"

The Windows gamer market is increasingly crowded and viciously competitive. You can probably scrape a few pennies there.

Or you can differentiate your products. Make them stand out. Support Linux and MacOS users, who in turn will evangelize your products so zealously that even Al-Qaeda will wonder in amazement.

And you'll probably make some decent money too.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:59 AM
robbob2112's PC Specs

POST ID # = 658181
robbob2112 Reputation: 10
Default Fedora 18 64bit

Three cheers for Linux support on a K95... sure would be nice. Note, I am a sys admin and programmer, not a gamer, so I only do windows for the 1% of things I can't get to work in Linux. But a mechanical keyboard is a must once you use one.

I have an annoying problem when using the K90 or K95 under Fedora 18. The pipe key "|" double-types unless I go dead slow or flip the BIOS switch all the way to the left. Of course flipping the switch all the way over causes a light to flash (arrow pointing down to a flat line)... and how many times a day do you suppose you type something like "ps -ef | |grep blah" ... and you see the double type I am talking about... most annoying.

Had the same problem on the brand new K90 I had, and Corsair replaced the keyboard with a K95. Must be some sort of problem interfacing with the with the OS I am thinking since when I boot into Windows 7 the issue goes away.

And of course the numlock light doesn't work even when setting the kbd into ascii mode as suggested in a prior post.

SO, would be nice for corsair to either release specs and let the linux community do their thing or release a linux driver for the keyboard.

Robert

Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM

POST ID # = 659581
tpyo Reputation: 10

Made an account to also cast my support for a linux driver for your keyboards (the K90 in particular), OR as robob said at least release the specs so we can do it ourselves

Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 PM
OverclocKing
tolga9009's PC Specs

POST ID # = 662591
tolga9009 Reputation: 10

I'm getting my hands on a Corsair K95 these days. If Corsair isn't creating native drivers, we'll do it on our own! I'll keep you updated!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM

POST ID # = 662879
nurow Reputation: 10

I am also looking for Linux support for the K90. :( Is there any update on that?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Ant59's PC Specs

POST ID # = 669693
Ant59 Reputation: 10

I too have registered simply to state my interest in Linux compatibility. I run elementary Luna on my main PC (using Xen VGA Passthrough for Windows gaming) and I'm looking to buy a Corsair K95. Will you please release a full set of drivers and utility software for Linux. There's 4 page of interest here :)

Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 PM
subraizada3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 671521
subraizada3 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
If there is enough demand for a Linux version, we can look into it.
+1 demand.

I realize that your company has limited resources, just like every other company out there.
However, if you just release some more specifications the Linux community will create a driver in no time.

A large amount of Linux users are sysadmins, programmers, engineers, etc. We understand the value of good hardware. Though there aren't as many Linux users as there are Windows users, a larger percentage of us buy good hardware like the K90/95. We also need the G-Keys more than the gamers - terminals and programming are mostly just typing the same stuff a bunch of times.

By doing something as simple, easy, and fast as releasing specifications on the keyboards, you will get a free Linux driver, lots of popularity, and a bunch of sales/profit/money.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Asermar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 673247
Asermar Reputation: 10

+1 for linux support.
I've just buy the k90 for coding.

I've been able to use the keyboard using a Virtualbox Win7 virtual machine. The corsair software recognise the keyboard and you are able to record macros.

The hardware play mode is necesary for play the macros from the keyboard, not from the software, with this hardware play mode I can use the macros in linux.

You need to attach the usb keyboard to the virtual machine (Configuration / USB / ADD USB Filter) for be able to activate the hardware play mode.

NOTE that when the keyboard is attached to the virtual machine and this is running, the keyboard don't works at all in linux (I've a logitech keyboard attached at the same time to the computer)

NOTE: when I installed the software there was an firmware update pending. I updated the firmware in a windows netbook. I don't know if you can update firmware from the virtual machine.

I hope this information can help some one using the keyboard.

Sorry for the mistakes, I'm not native english speaker.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM
subraizada3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 673275
subraizada3 Reputation: 10

In VirtualBox, or any other VM software that I know of, a USB device can only be connected to either the host system or the guest VM. It cannot be shared by both. The same goes for USB mice or any other USb device.

I updated firmware via VirtualBox a few days ago (Win7 64 bit), my keyboard still works. You just need to connect the K90 to the VM.

Yes, the hardware playback mode definetely helps, but the goal is to be able to configure the keyboard without the need to buy (or pirate, or borrow) Windows.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:12 AM
k90_guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 675355
k90_guy Reputation: 10
Default +1 Linux drivers- this is THE programmer's keyboard.

+ 1 on the linux support. This keyboard (k-90) is really the only thing holding me to Windows anymore. I know there are 5-6 million Java programmers in the world. Java is just one language. This is by far the BEST programming keyboard ever created. Really, in every detail it's so perfect it's hard for me to think of an improvement . Sure the software could always be better, but the keyboard itself? It lacks nothing and does everything to perfection.

If Corsair wanted to push this keyboard in the vertical market called "programmers" they'd HAVE to sell at least a million units, not less and possibly many times that. I don't know what good numbers of shipped units for peripherals is or keyboards specifically. Just guessing, most people in the developed world have at least two so I am going to guess the market is perhaps 4 billion. Who is THIS keyboard aimed at and what are its numbers? People with 150 bucks to drop on something they can pay 25 for, that's who. So that market is already much smaller than the total market. Gamers mostly I would guess. So call that market 20-50 million?

I am certain that there at least 20-30 million programmers in the world world. They make higher -than-gamers wages, on average. They make their living through their keyboard. You could certainly put this keyboard into into at least every 10th programmer's hands and I would think actually it could be the the standard keyboard for programmers.

The market is there. People are programming for Linux and on Linux- the IDEs all run on Linux - Intellij and Eclipse in Java. The whole flipping internet backend runs on Linux. People program on Linux. Only MS IDE of course doesn't run on Linux but and how relevant is M$ going to be going forward when the whole world is writing apps for Android and Mac OS ? That's where the developer energy is.

Plus a million for either writing an open source driver for , say, Ubuntu and letting community carry it forward. Even just helping the community to write their own would be huge and pt you well into the Linux friendly camp.

Gotta give a little to get some, right?

Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 AM
maxmat's PC Specs

POST ID # = 677510
maxmat Reputation: 10

Hi all,

I'm also a Linux user, I'm working in Linux world for years and yes, I'm still gaming too much according to most of non-gamer population : )

To play, I use a Logitech G700 with programmable buttons. This weekend I received a Razer OrbWeaver keypad.

The mice is well engineered: there is a chip in the mouse to store buttons configuration. So I boot some Windows, configured my mouse, reboot under Linux (any of them) and my mouse works perfectly. Logitech does things well sometimes : )

The keypad is not well engineered: if there is some chip on the keypad, it's not to store any configuration. I boot some Windows, configure the keypad, reboot on Linux, and the config is lost. I reboot on Windows and after the Razer software is loaded, this software loads the configuration into the keypad... at each reboot yes... This is normal, for Razer Corporation, there are two kind of operating systems: MAC OS and PC. PC meaning Windows rather than x86 or x86_64 platform, on which any system can run.

Of course today I'm going to send back that Razer device thought buy noob engineer. And I'll most certainly get another keyboard to replace my gaming device.
This new device won't be Corsair for now because according to what I read there, Corsair's keyboard are working as badly as Razer keypads which is disappointing...

Best regards,

mathias

Old 12-13-2013, 06:33 AM
OverclocKing
tolga9009's PC Specs

POST ID # = 687298
tolga9009 Reputation: 10

Sorry, that I didn't come back to you. I've decided not to buy the K90 - not due to the lack of Linux support, but due to its Firmware bugs.

So, from what I read in this thread, it's possible to use thr Corsair K90 in Hardware Playback mode, once it's configured without any flaws? If yes, then Corsair won't anything, cause it's not worth it. Everyone has access to Windows somewhere; you can even get the free 30-day Trial version (Enterprise) of it.

There is someone, who wrote the complete drivers for Roccat hardware on Linux, including the tool to configure your hardware. You may learn from his drivers and write your own. But first of all, you need to reverse enigneer the USB interaction, when the driver is running. Is someone able to do that? You guys don't need to hope and wait for Corsair, if you do it on your own.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Alureon's PC Specs

POST ID # = 687304
Alureon Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
If there is enough demand for a Linux version, we can look into it.
Putting in my vote for Linux support!