Corsair Community

Audio Issues

abuchan

I recently built a pc, and my case audio jack only works for the speakers, the microphone in my headset won't work with the audio jack on front. Then, I tried it with a different pair of earbuds and it didn't work. I have doubled and triple checked where it is plugged in on my motherboard and it still doesn't work. If you have any ideas for anything that I could do please let me know!

First thing I'd check is if you get notifications that you have plugged in your peripherals into each jack socket. Most audio software accompanying the hardware notifies the user of the jacks being plugged in. It can be a pain sorting these kinds of issues because until you can prove the cabling and socket are functional you can't really be wasting too much time on on chasing software issues. But then if the software is not working correctly it won't detect so it's a bit catch 22. I'd be mightily surprised if the cabling and socket are U/S. Even if the user mistakenly plugs headphones in a mic socket a notification usually pops up, headphones are basically two microphones working in the opposite manner to a mic so generally detectable. I've had audio issues where I get the notification of having plugged something in but no function of that peripheral so weirdness certainly does occur. Personally these days I use a couple of external USB audio interfaces and toggle the windows vol control to select which interface and headphones I want to use. I have one for gaming which has my audio set up for optimal sound for that application and as I have a small recording studio I have the other set up with a very flat, uncoloured sound for mixing recordings accurately before applying various speaker sims to get a flavour of how it might sound on a range of devices. So consequentially I have nothing connected to the audio on my mobo apart from the front panel header for the case and their functionality is of no interest to me.