Corsair Community

H60 cooler not working

mmatthe8667

I have a z97-a motherboard with updated bios to the 2018 update. I have hooked up the radiator fan to motherboard and it seems to work fine. I hooked up the pump to the cpu fan header and the sata connection to sata power cord from psu. I get cpu fan error. I have went into bios and switched the cpu fan controller to 100% full speed. Problem is the light on the pump not come on and there is no movement from the pump to say its working. This is the second one I have tried. Both times it has been the same. I have tried different sata cables to make sure not cable problem. I have tried plugging the pump 3 pin connection to other fan header plugs and still get nothing. Any help would be great cause I have tried everything I can think of.

Michael

It highly likely you have a power problem in the unit itself. It needs to be returned/exchanged with the vendor or contact Corsair Support. The light on that unit is always on, as long as there is power. Now it could burn out, but the CPU fan error is the BIOS telling you there is a dead device on the other end. The two factors combined make it a near certainty. It is possible it might now power up if you had a bad SATA cable, but if you have tried multiple connectors and other devices work on that same cable, this seems a long shot. Do make sure you don't use a molex to SATA converter.

And the only thing that can account for that is either 1) Two bad units; or 2) a problem at the power delivery level. On that unit, the moment you plug in the SATA it shoudl start running -- no tach wire or mount required. You stated you've tried multiple SATA connectors and other devices work on that cable. One problem area is some users will try to use a molex to SATA converter that lacks all 3 voltage rails, but that does not seem to be an issue here. The other would be if the PSU itself does not provide the required voltage on the SATA rail. There are a few low budget ones out there that cut corners on some things. Can you list what PSU you are using?

Aside from that, the CPU fan error is concerning. Does the CPU temp start ramping up (40..45...50...55.. 80... etc) when you are in the BIOS?

The unit is definitely not getting power. While long odds to get two defective units in a row, it does seem to be the more likely event versus some oddity where all of your SATA cables work, except with that device.

ok found out it was the psu..we are working to replace it now. We took the pump and hooked it to my sata cord and it powered on fine.

Michael