Corsair Community

Best config for H100i v2 on Linux and Asus Maximus Code

eera5607

Hi everyone. I've been reading a lot about H100i v2 and Linux compatibility issues. I also understand the directions posted by Greybeard from Corsair on the first fixed thread. I know that in some cases the pump isn't running at an adequate speed (some people say the default speed is the slower possible). Since us, the Linux users, can't install Corsair Link the configuration is limited. I understand that in some cases the motherboard model can help to mitigate some issues and this is why I created this thread, to ask what would you recommend in the cases I will present. I decided that since the Linux support is limited I won't use at the moment some scripts or implementations published on different forums and therefor I won't use the Corsair Link Cable.

Option 1: Asus Maximus IX Code and similar motherboards have a set of 7 - 9 headers to connect all thing related to cooling. See image below.

http://i.imgur.com/J0V6DbX.jpg

The first option is follow the user's manual and connect the pump directly to the CPU_FAN (Q-Fan Controlled) header and the fans to the two connectors coming off the pump. In this case I think the pump speed will depend on the CPU temperature and fans will run at a constant speed (determined by what? default speed?) Is that correct? Following the instructions here I would configure full voltage from the BIOS to CPU_FAN.

Option 2: Taking into consideration the information in the image below:

http://i.imgur.com/vfz5X2D.jpg

What about connecting the pump to the AIO_PUMP header and the fans directly to the two connectors coming off the pump? Since the default speed in that header is "Full speed" will the pump run always at max speed and the fans at the same default speed of option 1? In that case we will probable get a boot warning, depends on the motherboard and BIOS (no CPU_FAN connected).

Option 3: What about connecting the pump to AIO_PUMP and the two fans directly to the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT? In that case we won't get a boot warning and the pump will work at full speed and the fans will run at variable speeds depending on the CPU temp. Is that correct? Remember that CHA_FAN's and CPU_FAN and OPT headers can be configure from the BIOS.

What other ideas do you have? Maybe connect the the pump to a CHA_FAN header?

What is the best option? Thank you very much for your help.

Sorry for the grammar and other mistakes, English isn't my native language.

222367462_Screenshotfrom2017-07-0312-55-50.thumb.jpg.1db08ff38b5ef28069dbd6831212777b.jpg

23643252_Screenshotfrom2017-07-0312-56-19.thumb.jpg.24c98b89d06c28d918a3feb64df46476.jpg

Seems to be the question of the week. This is the general advice from another thread.

Effectively, it does not matter whether you use CPU Fan, AIO (W_PUMP), or any other CHA_FAN header for the H100i v2. The only requirement is that header needs to be set to "Full Speed" in Q-fan, which is E-Z BIOS speak for Disabled in the advanced BIOS. You can also click PWM to make sure it is providing 12v at all times.

Within the minutia, there are some reasons to favor one header of the other.

1) CPU FAN has limited other purposes if you do not use it for the H100i v2 lead. Its fan control is locked to CPU temp, it is restricted with shorter fan delays, and it cannot be controlled in the same way as the other headers. CPU and its mirror OPT were designed for a traditional air tower with two fans. OPT will always run the same speed and CPU Fan and is not controllable on Asus boards. Putting something like your rear or top standard case fans on this will cause those fans to race about like crazy. Additionally, the CPU warning you disabled will give you a major clue if the pump has stopped or something else has gone wrong with the H100i v2.

2) AIO or W_Pump header - It's just a standard CHA fan preset to run at 12v maximum with a cool new marketing tag. On some boards it can be reconfigured back into a CHA header. On others, it cannot. The answer to that may affect your decision on which header to use and if you are short headers for your case fans. By default, anything connected to it will run at 100%. This is the header to use if you decide you want motherboard control of your radiator fans (for whatever reason). H100i v2 to AIO header. Two radiator fans to CPU/OPT individually. Never run the pump on CPU and the fans on OPT or vice versa.

3) In theory, you can set a CHA header to Full Speed and do this as well, but that would likely be wasteful on most boards. Some people still do it because of header location and wiring.

None of these affect the cooler's operation or LINK, but do matter for the remainder of your case fan management.

For your situation without Link, you most likely want the H100i v2 on AIO_PUMP and the radiator fans on CPU & OPT individually. As mentioned above, this can be done other ways if the wiring necessitates it. The key questions are:

1) on that board, can you re-task the AIO Pump header to act like a normal CHA fan header? If no, definitely put the pump there. based on that diagram, I suspect you may be limited. I have not worked with your specific board and it is one of the first to have both a AIO and W_PUMP header. As you can see, the only difference is a much higher current threshold. You don't need the higher current allowance (not even close), but if W_PUMP has a better placement, it should work just as well. The only requirement is the H100i v2 gets a steady 12v signal. Full Speed (Q-fan) and PWM. Both of those headers should default to those values.

2) Is there a strong reason to use another arrangement? If not, keep it simple.

Thank you very much for this very complete answer. I was worried because I was reading that in some cases the lack of drivers and Corsair Link software installed on the system kept the pump running at the minimum speed always. Now I understand that the important thing is that the H100i v2 gets the 12v and I will get that on both AIO_PUMP and CPU_FAN (at full voltage always configured via BIOS). So, I think the third option, as you said, is the best in my case. Thanks again!

Straight out of the box and never having once been connected to Link, I suspect it will run the lower of the two pump speeds. Link toggles between Performance/Quiet (~3000 rpm and 2000). Frankly, it should have no meaningful effect on your temperatures and keep in the mind the faster the flow rate, the less time each molecule of water spends in the radiator channels and thus theoretically has less time to release heat. Most of the time this winds up being a zero sum game. If you have some longer professional loads, renders, encoding to do, it is possible the higher speed might save a couple of degrees of coolant temp. However, you most likely will be able to hear the pump when it is at 3000 rpm when working on the desktop with low fan speeds. It certainly comes down to personal preference, but I'll give 2C to not hear the pump when working.

If you need the pump to be at high speed, you might be able to get around this by booting up Windows with the USB in place, install Link, set the pump speed to Performance. Then exit, pull the USB, and go back to normal. The pump should retain the last speed setting. I do not run Linux so I cannot confirm this will work, but I know there are others out there. Also bear in mind the "low" speed on the current H100i v2 is faster than the pump speed on any prior Corsair double cooler. 2000+ rpm pump speed is hardly a crippling liability.

Thank you, very useful information. I was thinking that exactly, to boot Windows in some way to change the configuration with Link. I would think that the AIO keeps the preferences store internally and will keep them no matter the OS but I'm not sure neither. But with this new information I would definitely also prefer 2º C more if that means a more quiet system.

As the last of the options I would try to implement this script to the H100i v2 and change the fans to balanced or performance. I hope that it won't be necessary. Thanks!

Unlike the pump, you may want to make adjustments over time to the fan curves. If you power and control them from the H100iv2 fan connectors, your only control access will be through Link. Kind of a pain to boot into Windows, load it, then hope it saves and runs it without it. I am confident on the pump settings, since it is a simple high/low toggle. It may default back to some pre-written fan curves based on coolant temp without Link running. Also, since coolant temp is room temp dependent, it does require some adjustment throughout the year. For your usage, running the radiator fans from the board is likely to give you more control and on the Asus 270 series you will BIOS native fan delays and multiple control variable options to keep the fans from racing up and down, like when tied to CPU temp. Adjustments can be made in the BIOS when needed.

I don't know much about the script. I am definitely a hardware person and know little to nothing about programming. There are some people who do on this site and one of them may be familiar with it.

As the last of the options I would try to implement this script to the H100i v2 and change the fans to balanced or performance.

That script is for the CoolIT H100i and the Asetek H100iV2 protocol it totally different.

I suspect it would be easy enough to get it working on a CoolIT H110i, but all the Asetek based coolers need a special USB driver rather than being HID devices. For starters you would need to find a Unix version of SIUSBXP driver such as http://siusbxp.netdpi.net/home.

I am confident on the pump settings, since it is a simple high/low toggle. It may default back to some pre-written fan curves based on coolant temp without Link running.

Thanks! Yes, I would expect that at least the pump "mode" keeps working as configured on Windows but I also think that is very possible that the fan curves will go back to the default settings when Link isn't running.

Also, since coolant temp is room temp dependent, it does require some adjustment throughout the year.

Luckily, the country where I live (specially the town where I live) has very steady temperatures. We are at 20 - 24 º C 80 - 90% of the year. Very very rarely the temperature goes below 18 and above 26 so this is not a main concern in my case.

For your usage, running the radiator fans from the board is likely to give you more control and on the Asus 270 series you will BIOS native fan delays and multiple control variable options to keep the fans from racing up and down, like when tied to CPU temp. Adjustments can be made in the BIOS when needed.

One question I have about that is: what happens when (on the third option) the CPU reach high temperatures? Will the fans will run at full speed even though they can't cool the coolant down below the ambient temperature? Would it be an unnecessary use of the fans?

That script is for the CoolIT H100i and the Asetek H100iV2 protocol it totally different.

I suspect it would be easy enough to get it working on a CoolIT H110i, but all the Asetek based coolers need a special USB driver rather than being HID devices. For starters you would need to find a Unix version of SIUSBXP driver such as http://siusbxp.netdpi.net/home.

Well, that's sad news. I think it will be more difficult than I though. Any way thank you, I will take a look and search for a similar driver.

Well, this seems to be very helpful

Archived