Corsair Community

Corsair RAM Version NOT on the box

tennengr

Why doesn't Corsair place the version number of the RAM on the outside of the package box?

Unfortunately, I did not pay close enough attention to MSI's website for memory compatibility on an MSI MEG X570 Unify motherboard. The CMW32GX4M4C3200C16 memory that I purchased (4 x 8GB Vengeance RGB Pro) would not work with all 4 sticks in the 4 slots. It would work with any 2 sticks. After talking with MSI and reviewing the compatibility chart, you need version 4.31 NOT 4.32. Fortunately, Newegg took my Corsair memory back because it was within 30 days. However, I am stuck because vendor can tell me the version. You have to open the box and inspect each RAM stick.

I read so many negative stories about Corsair on here and now am building a second gaming PC with Corsair products, again. You would think I would have learned the first time around. Corsair is not answering the phone and is extremely slow answering messages.

Prior to buying the specified Corsair product, I called both Corsair and MSI to make sure of compatibility. Neither mentioned version number and both said something to the effect of "our products work very well together" and what you want should work. I should have picked up on the word "should". Shame on me I guess.

Is there any solution to buying compatible RAM for all 4 slots?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

It generally isn't possible to buy a specific version of a memory kit however they should be validated for whatever platforms they are sold as compatible for. Generally kits of memory will "just work" though they may require slight tweaking on platforms like AMD when it comes to XMP/DOCP/etc.

To clarify, XMP/DOCP are preset profiles for overclocking memory where a number of factors are at play that could result in no-post/instability.