Corsair Community

Preventing ESD during installation

Medic00

I am about to install some TW3X4G1333C9A. I've heard some conflicting information about ESD precautions, so i wanted to check here before installing the RAM.

I plan to leave the PSU plugged in but switched off, then use the case as a ground. Some say to unplug everything, some say to leave the PSU plugged in so it is grounded via the outlet. Which is preferred?

I only have a choice of working on carpet (a no-no, I'm aware) or vinyl tiling, so I'll be working in the kitchen on vinyl tiling unless that's considered a bad surface for static as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much. I realize these are basic questions, but I'll feel much more confident knowing that I'm not subjecting my hardware to unsafe conditions based on bad information.

• Corsair Employee
You shouldn't need the psu to be plugged in. Just touch the case or power supply to discharge your self first. If you are concerned you can also buy an ESD strap and ensure you wear rubber soled shoes.

You shouldn't need the psu to be plugged in. Just touch the case or power supply to discharge your self first. If you are concerned you can also buy an ESD strap and ensure you wear rubber soled shoes.

Thanks. I'm sure I'm just being overly paranoid. I borrowed an antistatic wrist-strap and will be installing the RAM soon.

Archived