Corsair Community

Corsair H50 High Temps FIX!

slugzkea

I own the H50, and I love it. It is a great cooler but the installation instructions are purely flawed. hear me out:

Other than the manual being very cloudy on installing the cpu bracket, the manual also clearly states that you're suppose to install that cpu bracket FIRST, and then screw the water block in after. What the hell is that? first of all, you're smearing the paste. That's a guarantee in high temps, or huge differentials in core temps. 2nd, if you're able to screw the water block into place, there obviously isn't enough pressure applied to properly transfer HEAT.

Now if you use the default thermal pad that came with the H50, heck there's enough paste on that you won't need any pressure to make any sort of contact. What I'm saying is, THERE'S WAY TOO MUCH PASTE!!! it took about 4 paper towels and a crap load of alcohol to remove all that paste. I used AS5 and the proper amount at that.

If you want the device to perform optimally, DO THIS:

CPU BLOCK INSTALL

1. install the back plate and the cpu bracket on the motherboard. Place the motherboard in the case, screw it all in. REMOVE THE CPU BRACKET. The back plate will stay in place by itself now that the motherboard is secured in the case.

2. REMOVE THAT CRAPPY THERMAL PAD!!! and use your own paste.

3. Mount the cpu bracket to the cpu block, then position it on top of the CPU. Hold it firmly while you screw in the 4 holes evenly, as how you would with any other logical heatstink/block installation. No smearing paste, no uneven contact. This way, you know you're applying the right amount of pressure.

RAD INSTALL

1. Use the fresh air intake, do not use as an exhaust. Add a 2nd fan to the other side of the rad to assist in air intake (push pull). I use a ******** tricool, which is rated 78CFM and 24 static pressure. Not bad, but good enough.

2. Screw everything tightly so there's no air leakage through the static pressure.

3. Make sure there is an exhaust near by since the rad will be pushing hot air into the case. My cosmos has the 20cm side fan for exhaust, so that works quite well.

And finally, disable any smart fan features so your pump and your rad will be at 100% at all times.

Results?

e8400 one of the first batches. my cpu is a crappy one. The default voltage OC Walled at 3.4ghz.

Final OC: 4ghz 1.55v, 1.52 LOAD (LLC OFF).

OCCT 3.1 infinite CPU burn 10 hours MAX TEMP 66c. Awesome.

The thermal paste hasn't even settled in yet cuz i just installed this about a week ago.

Use my method, and you're guaranteed lower temps since i'm using such high voltage.

I'll post a pic when i get home, at work now,

Enjoy. :D:http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/slugzkea/Corsair%20H50/IMG_0463.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/slugzkea/Corsair%20H50/IMG_0466.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/slugzkea/Corsair%20H50/IMG_0467.jpg

That might help people with high temperatures. But I wouldn't say the instructions are purely flawed. I followed them to the letter, and the H50 keeps my 140W CPU idle at only a few degrees above room temperature. Never had any problems with high temps.

Well...

The H50 uses some Shin-Etsu paste. It is definitely better than AS5 (hell, everything is better than AS5 nowadays).

Your CPU installation method works fine, but it is also prone to smearing the paste as the regular method. If you don't want to smear the paste, what you should be doing is pulling on the block while screwing it down evenly.... which requires the bracket to first be threaded into place.

Also:

1) Tri-Cools are crap fans

2) Exhausting works better depending on your other cooling and case.

okay guys, first off all, keep the hate response to a minimum. I didn't ask for corrections or assistance, and if you didn't have high temp problems, there's no point in you being here. I don't appreciate the criticism so take your nagging else where.

I am aware that the paste on the CPU block is better than AS5, but it was TOO MUCH PASTE. and AS5 is all I have on me, plus there's no real HUGE difference in temps between pastes..maybe 1-2c.

I know tricools aren't the best fans, but that's what I had on me, and obviously it worked out for my needs. Considering the high voltage that I'm using, the temps are quite reasonable, especially for using OCCT.

If you fallowed the default installation and it worked out, good for you! have a piece of cake to celebrate! It didn't workout for me, using the LGA775 bracket.

And honestly, it's just logic. The fact that you can actually snap the CPU block in place after screwing in the CPU bracket it just nonsense to me. obviously that's lacking pressure. And i thought the Vendetta 2 was bad with those push pins, that's gold compared to this method!

I don't need to know your cpus, your voltages to compare installation results.

If it worked out for you, fine. If it didn't my installation method is an alternative.

Well...

Your CPU installation method works fine, but it is also prone to smearing the paste as the regular method. If you don't want to smear the paste, what you should be doing is pulling on the block while screwing it down evenly.... which requires the bracket to first be threaded into place.

By holding the block directly over the CPU and screwing in each corner one by one, you are not smearing the paste.

There isnt too much paste on the pump at all.And I dont know how you put it on but I didnt smear it all over the place at all.I dont think I even touched the cpu when I screwed it down.The instructions corsair gave are perfect and so are the videos.So dont you come in here and tell them they are wrong.Ande heres a little tip,turn your top fans around so thier blowing out instead of in and maybe you would have a cooler cpu.Heat rises you know.:sigh!:

There isnt too much paste on the pump at all.And I dont know how you put it on but I didnt smear it all over the place at all.I dont think I even touched the cpu when I screwed it down.The instructions corsair gave are perfect and so are the videos.So dont you come in here and tell them they are wrong.Ande heres a little tip,turn your top fans around so thier blowing out instead of in and maybe you would have a cooler cpu.Heat rises you know.:sigh!:

You want to throw this thread off topic? fine.

If you took the time to examine my specs in my user profile, you would clearly see that I own a 9800GX2. This card shoots hot air into the case, which rises and provides extra heat to my cpu. I'll update my pictures and show you how the air flow works with mine, but what i'm trying to say is, the cold air intake at the top blowing down is the coolest solution for my setup. For one, my cosmos case is meant for a water setup and not air. Due to the limited availability locally where I am, the corsair h50 was the only choice for water..and ordering online isn't an option for me yet.

Thus, having all that hot air already generating in the case being pushed into the rad and out my case would decrease temperatures.

I know 66c to you seems high, but let me remind you and i'll probably have to remind you again, and a few other people... I am using 1.55 VOLTS on my cpu, an e8400. that is very, ****ing high. any air cooler can't keep up with 1.55 at 4ghz on an e8400, not on occt anyways. my vendetta 2 which is on par with the TRUE was at 80c with OCCT infinite cpu burn, and that 80c hit fast..like in seconds.

That being said, the way I have it set up right now is at it's optimal setting. Maybe replacing a few fans might decrease temps more, but the temps are fine. No game and no application that I use heats up my cpu like OCCT does. On average load, my cpu is 55-58c.

Now about the installation...i did snap that bracket in place first, and the block would not screw in. After close examination, i realized that the block actually has to squeeze under those ridges and into place...going down, and back up to make it pure flush. Doing that in a screwing motion while the bracket is already installed is stupid. Have you owned a previous CPU Water block before this one? i haven't, but i've owned a lot of heatsinks and NO HEATSINK i used had some stupid screw-in motion, and from most of the water block installations that I have seen, you place the damn thing on top, then you screw in the 4 holes one by one...

And yes, obviously there are videos and I have watched the videos, but i couldn't snap the thing in place using their steps and even if i did, i would re-seat it my way anyways because once again, if you can screw the thing in place like that, i am almost sure there isn't enough pressure. This explains why they add so much paste to that thermal pad, to make up for the lack of pressure.

Anyways, obviously my method is superior because I don't see anyone else with an e8400 clocked to 4ghz that needs 1.5+ volts to stay stable yet the thing still stays in thermal range without throttling.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/slugzkea/Corsair%20H50/IMG_0466d.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/slugzkea/Corsair%20H50/IMG_0467d.jpg

The 20cm side fan as main exhaust works excellent for my system. for an air cooled system, sure cold air from the bottom shoot it out the top. That's how i had it for a long time with this case, it doesn't work well with the Cosmos SRC-1100. Worked excellent with my antec 900 rev1 though.

This is a setup that may fix YOUR temps, but I highly doubt it would help anyone else. You posted this as if you thought it was the gospel and became agitated when someone corrected your obviously flawed setup. The confrontational tone in your posts only serves to make you look even worse. My advice Slugzkea is to just be quiet.

You want to throw this thread off topic? fine.

If you took the time to examine my specs in my user profile, you would clearly see that I own a 9800GX2. This card shoots hot air into the case, which rises and provides extra heat to my cpu. I'll update my pictures and show you how the air flow works with mine, but what i'm trying to say is, the cold air intake at the top blowing down is the coolest solution for my setup. For one, my cosmos case is meant for a water setup and not air. Due to the limited availability locally where I am, the corsair h50 was the only choice for water..and ordering online isn't an option for me yet.

Thus, having all that hot air already generating in the case being pushed into the rad and out my case would decrease temperatures.

I know 66c to you seems high, but let me remind you and i'll probably have to remind you again, and a few other people... I am using 1.55 VOLTS on my cpu, an e8400. that is very, ****ing high. any air cooler can't keep up with 1.55 at 4ghz on an e8400, not on occt anyways. my vendetta 2 which is on par with the TRUE was at 80c with OCCT infinite cpu burn, and that 80c hit fast..like in seconds.

That being said, the way I have it set up right now is at it's optimal setting. Maybe replacing a few fans might decrease temps more, but the temps are fine. No game and no application that I use heats up my cpu like OCCT does. On average load, my cpu is 55-58c.

Now about the installation...i did snap that bracket in place first, and the block would not screw in. After close examination, i realized that the block actually has to squeeze under those ridges and into place...going down, and back up to make it pure flush. Doing that in a screwing motion while the bracket is already installed is stupid. Have you owned a previous CPU Water block before this one? i haven't, but i've owned a lot of heatsinks and NO HEATSINK i used had some stupid screw-in motion, and from most of the water block installations that I have seen, you place the damn thing on top, then you screw in the 4 holes one by one...

And yes, obviously there are videos and I have watched the videos, but i couldn't snap the thing in place using their steps and even if i did, i would re-seat it my way anyways because once again, if you can screw the thing in place like that, i am almost sure there isn't enough pressure. This explains why they add so much paste to that thermal pad, to make up for the lack of pressure.

Anyways, obviously my method is superior because I don't see anyone else with an e8400 clocked to 4ghz that needs 1.5+ volts to stay stable yet the thing still stays in thermal range without throttling.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/slugzkea/Corsair%20H50/IMG_0466d.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/slugzkea/Corsair%20H50/IMG_0467d.jpg

The 20cm side fan as main exhaust works excellent for my system. for an air cooled system, sure cold air from the bottom shoot it out the top. That's how i had it for a long time with this case, it doesn't work well with the Cosmos SRC-1100. Worked excellent with my ******** 900 rev1 though.

Thats the worst air setup I ever saw.lol

Maybe thats why theres so much dust in your case.You got six high speed fans bringing air in,including the h50 bringing hot air in and you got one low speed fan exhausting air.It should be the other way around.You only really need one good fan bringing fresh air in.Its more important to have the other 5 fans sucking air out.:sigh!:

The instructions corsair gave are perfect and so are the videos.So dont you come in here and tell them they are wrong.

The instructions supplied with my H50 are far from perfect - incorrect/bad advice about the order in which to tighten the screws and no mention on two sets of screws with different threads.

The instructions supplied with my H50 are far from perfect - incorrect/bad advice about the order in which to tighten the screws and no mention on two sets of screws with different threads.

Thank you.

I will not stay quiet. I would not be suprised that a number of you work for corsair and you're just upset that I have pointed out your flaws. This reminds me of the ******** forums; they also get quite upset if you mention a flaw or defected line of product as well and respond pretty much the same way that most of you people are.

Yes, the air setup for my case seems stupid, but it works. I tried using the original method but it doesn't work since my case is NOT an air cooling case by nature.

Dust? who cares, dust is going to get in there anyways. And once again since the 9800gx2 shoots air into the case, having that side fan for an exhaust is the best option. God i love repeating myself.

The CPU exhaust was originally meant for air heat stinks but I've left it the way it is since the rad is pushing hot air down, and that fan will catch the hot air and blow it out. Any other excess hot air that isn't caught will be intercepted by the 20cm fan.

Seems stupid? fine, maybe so. But it works.

CPU temp on average load, 55-58c.

Northbridge, 40c.

Motherboard temperature, 30c.

GPU temperature, 70c on max load.

Ambient temperature, 24c.

Until an admin chooses to close my thread, I will not stay quiet and will continue to argue my logic.

Thats the worst air setup I ever saw.lol

Maybe thats why theres so much dust in your case.You got six high speed fans bringing air in,including the h50 bringing hot air in and you got one low speed fan exhausting air. :

Correction, one high speed fan, and one huge 20cm high speed side fan for exhaust.

Pay attention :P

I would not be suprised that a number of you work for corsair and you're just upset that I have pointed out your flaws. This reminds me of the ******** forums; they also get quite upset if you mention a flaw or defected line of product as well and respond pretty much the same way that most of you people are.
No one who's posted in this thread is a Corsair employee (including myself). Read more of the forum and you'll see that criticism is appreciated here, not pushed down here.

Until an admin chooses to close my thread, I will not stay quiet and will continue to argue my logic.
Why would we close the thread?

Criticism goes both ways. When you chose to critique the installation instructions, you opened your ideas to the analyzing eyes of others.

TO ALL: KEEP IT CIVIL.

Good to know then :) I've just use to it, it happens at other manufacture websites.

I can see why people are argueing a lot though. Everyone who owns an H50 came from an air setup since the H50 main goal is to compete with the high performance air coolers and not to compete against actual water.

I got the H50 mainly for my case. The Cosmos S RC-1100 is a full tower case designed for a water setup. The 20CM fan on the side is ******** and is the main cooling component of the case.

With a CPU air heatsink installed, it is impossible to use that 20cm fan; it just won't fit.

My case is strictly designed for water. It even has a slot on the very top to add a triple rad.

I would not be suprised that a number of you work for corsair and you're just upset that I have pointed out your flaws. This reminds me of the ******** forums; they also get quite upset if you mention a flaw or defected line of product as well and respond pretty much the same way that most of you people are.

I suppose the folks that didn't agree with you either in the H50 thread over at the overclock.net forum, also work for Corsair... :rofl:

Who didn't agree over there? i didn't see anyone disagreeing.

All quotes below are responses from page 209-210 in the H50 thread on the overclock.net forum in regards to you linking to your guide here.

Sorry dude. I would not recommend your guide. If you read through the post in this tread, we have demonstrated many times the proper way to install these to maximize performance. Unfortunately they counterdict your method on several points.

Nice guide but take out the bit about the thermal paste. Corsair put Shin Etsu on the H50 which is actually quite a lot better than AS5.

I actually found it worked really well, whatever thickness of SE they put on the heatsink seemed to work just right. My temps went up when I applied MX3.

All quotes below are responses from page 209-210 in the H50 thread on the overclock.net forum in regards to you linking to your guide here.

Thanks, I knew you had enough free time to dig that out for me.

Those aren't so bad, not as ignorant as some people here...yeah my setup wouldn't work with an air cooling case, obviously.

Thanks, I knew you had enough free time to dig that out for me.

I'm a user at overclock.net and being owner of the H50, I was already familiar with that thread. I didn't exactly have to "dig". The moderaters here removed some of the more amusing quotes about you though, but I guess people can look them up at overclock.net for themselves if they want to.

Archived