Corsair Community

K70 RGB LED Burn Out in under 24 hours

jayapple

Well, seems as though I have encountered my first problem with my new K70 RGB, less than 24 hours out of the gate.

Must have burnt out the red channel on my stop button media key LED while I was out this morning as I returned home, switched profiles, and noticed it to be blank. Sure enough, green and blues work fine, but nothing that requires red in the spectrum.

Anybody else have any burnouts yet or am I just lucky?

304639256_k70StopButton.thumb.JPG.5ee1b13294bb9fc2b2ac27925d0860c2.JPG

Have you rebooted yet or tried updating firmware? Someone reported something similar and when they rebooted it came back up.

Sadly yes. :[pouts:

Firmware is up to date and I have rebooted and checked all my connections. All other LEDs are functioning normally and this particular button will cycle through all colors except for those requiring red in the spectrum (basically only greens and blues now).

Well to be fair I do have 104.66 out of 105 working LEDs (knock on wood) and Corsair's warranty info doesn't have any language that would lead me to believe this kind of thing isn't covered.

That said I am really bummed out about it... I have been waiting on this thing to come out for months and within a day of having it I have this broken LED staring at me. I keep unplugging it and trying stuff with the software hoping it is just some crazy software error but I am pretty sure it is a lost cause at this point.

yes razer sources its own keys but TBH if you ware spending this much on a keyboard you better be and elitist jerk and settle for nothing other than the best. Switches need to be from cherry/torpe. I'm not going to spend this much and get Chinese knockoff switches.

Sorry to see about your problem OP tough to really give advise just rma if its a big deal I doubt there are really going to be many issues sometimes there are manufacturing defects in the leds it's simply rare. this forum is a very small cross section of who actually has these in their hand so no one else should really worry too much about this.

Sorry to see about your problem OP tough to really give advise just rma if its a big deal I doubt there are really going to be many issues sometimes there are manufacturing defects in the leds it's simply rare.

I am hoping you are right and that this is just a rare case and that if I get a replacement that it won't continue to happen. Just to be on the safe side I am going to hold onto it for a few weeks just to make sure more don't start burning out. If that happens I will just return it and get something else, though not the razer, probably a ducky shine or something similar.

I hate that this even has to be discussed but I am glad a bunch of people aren't having similar issues. I am the type of guy who just shuts up and deals with it but like you said, at this price point you kinda have to insist on the best.

• Corsair Employee

Hi Jay, I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue at the moment. I find it odd that that single LED won't cycle through red but will do so for green and blue.

Did you group the button with any other groups? Can you also try this:

Quit the software

Open Explorer

Go to the path and type in: C:\Users\youraccountname\AppData\Roaming\Corsair and delete the HID folder.

Restart machine

This will delete all your profiles, lighting, and actions and start from scratch. I'd like to know if it lights up properly at default settings.

Hi Jay, I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue at the moment. I find it odd that that single LED won't cycle through red but will do so for green and blue.

Did you group the button with any other groups? Can you also try this:

Quit the software

Open Explorer

Go to the path and type in: C:\Users\youraccountname\AppData\Roaming\Corsair and delete the HID folder.

Restart machine

This will delete all your profiles, lighting, and actions and start from scratch. I'd like to know if it lights up properly at default settings.

Howdy James, I appreciate the reply.

I did not group the buttons with any other groups. The same result occurs whether the buttons are grouped or not and I have tried clearing Lighting settings and new templates to no avail.

I really hope it is a software issue. I will give your suggestions a shot later tonight after I get home.

Correct. Once all profiles were purged it forced the default profile and the stop button media key remained unlit (per it being a pure red - r255 g0 b0). Once I reconfigured to a new profile assigning the key to white I have a teal hue, which I assume is a r0 (should be r255) g255 b255.

I am guessing that the anode on the r portion of the LED has burnt out or shorted somehow as a cathode burn out would render the LED inoperational completely and the other two hues are working. Not an ideal conclusion, but it is the best I have come up with so far.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Did OP got his problem fixed? I seem to have a problem with my red LED on the number 4 key on the right keypad. The difference is that mine still has a very dim light and is flactuating. It happened after I updated the CUE and enabling 16.8m color mode. This has actually happened to me before but the keyboard fixed itself after I installed the latest CUE so my guess is that there seems to be a problem with CUE when updates come they fix something and break something probably...Please help me on what to do my, keyboard is still 3 months old.

Hi,

Did OP got his problem fixed? I seem to have a problem with my red LED on the number 4 key on the right keypad. The difference is that mine still has a very dim light and is flactuating. It happened after I updated the CUE and enabling 16.8m color mode. This has actually happened to me before but the keyboard fixed itself after I installed the latest CUE so my guess is that there seems to be a problem with CUE when updates come they fix something and break something probably...Please help me on what to do my, keyboard is still 3 months old.

I did get the problem fixed but it was a hardware issue that required an RMA. Even since my kb has been performing as advertised, though I have not updated my software or firmware recently.

Archived