Corsair Community

TX850M questions about noise and surge protector

The_Poena

Hi, I am wondering if it is okay to plug the TX850M into a surge protector because I read that it has over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current, and short-circuit protection built into it? I have read on another website that it can be bad to plug a PSU that has these features into a surge protector. Also I am wondering if it is normal for the PSU to make a pretty quiet noise when the computer is off? (The switch on the back of the PSU is flipped on.)

It doesn't matter. You can still use a surge protector with your PSU. It won't hurt it at all. Although with modern PSU's they are just not needed with so many built in protection features. If you choose to use one it's perfectly fine.

Battery back-ups on the other hand, depending on what type they are ,can.

Also I am wondering if it is normal for the PSU to make a pretty quiet noise when the computer is off? (The switch on the back of the PSU is flipped on.)

What kind of noise?

It is advisable to have surge protection on any electronic equipment(computers, TV's, etc.). The power protection scheme built into consumer devices is designed for low level power anomalies only. Whereas, a surge protection will be a first of defense and react to destructive high level power spikes, such as lightning and other power surges such as power restoration from a blackout. Lightning doesn't have to be a direct strike to cause damage. Surge protectors and power strips are not the same.

Archived