Corsair Community

How to properly install RAM in new iMac?

Sperry8

Hello all,

I just bought the new iMac (late 2012) with 3.4GHz and i7 Processor. I upgraded my RAM by buying the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 1600MHz. My Apple came incorrectly configured and as such I only received one 1 8GB of RAM from them. So now I have 24GB of RAM. Product installed properly, but I am unsure what slots to place the cards in for optimal performance. I have placed the Corsair cards in the "top" slots - the ones closest to the monitor and the 1 remaining pre-installed Apple 8GB RAM card in the bottom slot (the one closest to the base). That leaves slot 3 open (so the cards are not consecutive, but rather the two Vengeance cards next to each other, one open slot, and then the RAM the iMac came with). Is this the proper configuration for optimal performance?

Thanks!

Shane

It is working - but it does appear when I remove the pre-installed Apple RAM from Hynix that I clock higher at 1600 MHz. When I add their card in I only get 1333 MHz. However, I then have 24GB of RAM rather than 16GB. I wonder which is faster?

Any thoughts?

And also, if I do install just the Vengeance cards - how do I install them? Do I want them to show horizontally as in this screenshot or consecutively within the slots in the system? To get as shown in the screenshot they are not next to each other (rather they are in slots 2 & 4).

661239238_ScreenShot2013-01-11at4_21_39PM.png.4e0ee04d6b8e9e2dfbec0520465a3072.png

I just bought the new iMac (late 2012) with 3.4GHz and i7 Processor with the standerd 8 GB of ram Does any one have any Links as to what ram I can upgrade to ? I was after 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM thanks maybe the 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM if i can afford it thanks

• 2 weeks later...
It is working - but it does appear when I remove the pre-installed Apple RAM from Hynix that I clock higher at 1600 MHz. When I add their card in I only get 1333 MHz. However, I then have 24GB of RAM rather than 16GB. I wonder which is faster?

The reason for this, is probably the Hynix RAM may be slower than the new Corsair RAM you installed...the Corsair RAM is being forced to run at the same speed as the Hynix...though the fact you got the Corsair to run with the Hynix is pretty amazing, considering that's mixed RAM. Out of curiousity...what is the Hynix RAM model number?

Archived