Corsair Community

HX1000--Is my PSU the problem?

mentalRAGE

Hello all,

I have an HX1000 PSU, which should provide way more than enough power than my system will ever need. I've been having problems recently and am wondering if it sounds like the power supply is dying on me. I feel like it's either the power supply or motherboard. Symptoms include:

-Motherboard power LED is on but nothing turns on when pressing power button

-sometimes the fans will power up for a second, then shut off again, while the motherboard power LED stays on

-sometimes the case fans and HDD spin up, but the CPU fan does not come on and the CPU and DRAM LEDs stay lit on motherboard

-sometimes it boots fine, but I will experience a blue screen or just an immediate powering off of the system when I start playing a game. Important note here: the power off/blue screen often happens after the loading screen when the GPU would start drawing a lot more power. Also random blue screens while in the midst of gaming.

-computer powers off when I shake mouse/hit keyboard to come out of sleep

-blue screens at random times when just in windows/browsing the web

Sometimes reseating the motherboard 24pin connector would allow the computer to boot up. In the midst of all of this, there have been times where I've run stable for hours up to a couple of days, playing high stress level games like Crysis 2 DX11 and The Witcher 2. This all began after some recent changes:

-Update my motherboard bios to the most current (as suggested for the SSD)

-I installed a Corsair Force GT 120GB, first one was DOA, RMAed and have a new one that functions now

-I installed a backplate and high flow bracket on my GTX 580

Problems began after I tried installing the first SSD, which was DOA. This system had been running problem free, completely stable for 9 months. Please tell me if you think it is my power supply, or if you have a different diagnosis! Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

mentalRAGE

Reseating the 24-pin motherboard power cable makes the system boot again after sudden shut downs. Does this mean the motherboard power cable is bad, or does it signify that it might be a motherboard problem and removing power from the motherboard fixes it temporarily?

Also, I've noticed the voltage on the +12V dropping as low as 11.1V. Is this normal? Too low of a voltage? I thought these power supplies were rated +/- 5%.

Archived