Corsair Community

Version compatibilty issue. Probably.

Stevekin

Good afternoon all. Please be gentle with this nooby :-)

Built my system in September and it's been working just fine for me. Way better than the outgoing 10 year old gas powered model I've consigned to the loft!!

That was until last night, when I took delivery of another 16Gb of the very same RAM listed in my bio.

Installed in the two available slots and fired up.....oh boy :-/ Not the fireworks/fanfare/parade I was expecting, oh no :-(

Machine wouldn't even load to the BIOS (I pressed the right key as quickly as possible, promise). Tried for ages, then took the new sticks out and it worked just fine again.

Had a look on the web and found a suggestion that clearing the CMOS might help. So tried that. This time the system loaded and recognized the 32Gb. But Windows very soon (I mean less than a minute) displayed a BSOD with varying errors, missing drivers, DLL's and everything else it seems. Tried to repair and/or re-installing Windows but no joy. Just didn't want to know with all four slots filled. It seemed as though I'd lost half of Windows :-(

But back to only two sticks and it worked smoothly and remained stable.

Tried with both just the two original sticks and then with the new ones. Worked great with both. Just not at the same time.

I was beginning to think it was an issue with the motherboard RAM slots, particularly the third one (DIMM B1 in the manual) because with that empty it seemed to be okay, even with the three other slots filled.

But just now I have been running the PC with just the one stick...in that third slot and it's been stable for several hours.

Now I'm suspecting it is a compatibility issue with the RAM. Both pairs bought from same supplier (Amazon UK), same size, rating etc. The only difference is the version numbers.

The first set are ver4.32 and the new set are ver5.32

Having a look around it would appear this could be the conflict (I hope!!).

I read on here that the ver number indicates the IC used (integrated circuit?) and different ones might fall out with each other?

So my question is do you agree, could it be the version differences?

Based on what has happened, any other suggestions?

Apologies for the lengthy first post, but hope I've given enough info to enable a possible solution. Any questions if needed and I'll get right back to you.

Many thanks for reading :-)

Steve.

Use your old pair first, boot to bios and copy the memory timings to a piece of paper.

Use your new pair boot to bios and copy the memory timings to the same piece of paper.

Now use both pairs, enter the bios and set manually the timings.

Where there is a difference use the slower timing(higher number).

Good afternoon all. Please be gentle with this nooby :-)

Built my system in September and it's been working just fine for me. Way better than the outgoing 10 year old gas powered model I've consigned to the loft!!

That was until last night, when I took delivery of another 16Gb of the very same RAM listed in my bio.

Installed in the two available slots and fired up.....oh boy :-/ Not the fireworks/fanfare/parade I was expecting, oh no :-(

Machine wouldn't even load to the BIOS (I pressed the right key as quickly as possible, promise). Tried for ages, then took the new sticks out and it worked just fine again.

Had a look on the web and found a suggestion that clearing the CMOS might help. So tried that. This time the system loaded and recognized the 32Gb. But Windows very soon (I mean less than a minute) displayed a BSOD with varying errors, missing drivers, DLL's and everything else it seems. Tried to repair and/or re-installing Windows but no joy. Just didn't want to know with all four slots filled. It seemed as though I'd lost half of Windows :-(

But back to only two sticks and it worked smoothly and remained stable.

Tried with both just the two original sticks and then with the new ones. Worked great with both. Just not at the same time.

I was beginning to think it was an issue with the motherboard RAM slots, particularly the third one (DIMM B1 in the manual) because with that empty it seemed to be okay, even with the three other slots filled.

But just now I have been running the PC with just the one stick...in that third slot and it's been stable for several hours.

Now I'm suspecting it is a compatibility issue with the RAM. Both pairs bought from same supplier (Amazon UK), same size, rating etc. The only difference is the version numbers.

The first set are ver4.32 and the new set are ver5.32

Having a look around it would appear this could be the conflict (I hope!!).

I read on here that the ver number indicates the IC used (integrated circuit?) and different ones might fall out with each other?

So my question is do you agree, could it be the version differences?

Based on what has happened, any other suggestions?

Apologies for the lengthy first post, but hope I've given enough info to enable a possible solution. Any questions if needed and I'll get right back to you.

Many thanks for reading :-)

Steve.

Your mixing ram kits so yes, likely compatibility issue. It may take some manual work to try to get them to work together which means you may not get the timings or frequency you want if that matters to you more than overall capacity. Also keep in mind fully populating your ram slots may also effect what speed you can get depending on the compatibility of all your parts mb-cpu-ram.

Thanks for the replies :-D

I had done some more research and adjusting last night. Found that the fastest supported RAM speed by both the ryzen 5 2600x and the board is 2933MHz.

I had the Ai Overclock Tuner set to D.O.C.P Standard and the Memory Frequency set to DDR4-3200Mhz.

I initially changed the Ai overclock to Auto and Mem Freq. to (something like) 2013. A lot lower number anyhow.

Everything remained stable with all four sticks in place.

I have since (today) switched the Ai Overclock Tuner back to D.O.C.P. Standard and the Memory Frequency to 2933MHz. And so far, remains stable.

I somehow feel it would be difficult to expect someone in the Amazon warehouse to have the time or interest in trying to locate a matching version number to either of the sets I have, given the version is not printed on the packaging.

So I am going to keep fingers crossed for the time being....but keep in mind what you have suggested in the event it goes wrong ;-)

Thanks for your time and help!!