Corsair Community

Flushing/Draining Needed?

Finnster

Hello, I've had my Hydrocool for a about a year and a half now. Is flushing my hydrocool required? What happens if I don't flush, but just add more coolant and distilled water? Also, I changed my waterblock to dangerden Maze4. I just thought that as long you don't put in tap water that everything should be fine? I just want my hydrocool to last long. It's a great watercooling system. :):

Flushing the HC once a year minimum is highly recommended. Contamination like little growing critters and the breakdown of the glycol coolant that can allow corrosion to start taking place inside the system. Its' not hard to do if you have a spare piece of hose and two gallon size jars. My suggestion is to flush the system with distilled water first as it is easier to tell when all the old coolant is flushed out. Then just flush it again with the new coolant. :):

I believe the need to change fluid has been over-stated. The additives were designed to work in an automotive environment at 240 degrees F with a mix of steel, aluminum, and other materials. In the HC200, the liquid temp rarely exceeds 110 degrees F ... it should last for 10 years. It won't hurt to change more often, but it's up to you if it's worth the hassle. This is based on using distilled water ... tap water will have other minerals that will cause trouble. In such a case, I would drain and refill with distilled water + additive immediately. KK

Archived