Corsair Community

Dead LED's in 2 lll120 and 2 ll140's

Ra1n_Dr0p

Hello all,

I have a corsair 500D RGB case. I have added 1 ll120 in the back, and two ll140 on the radiator. For about 2 months the ran great. Then the first fan (preinstalled with the case) LED stopped working correctly. Then the back one. Now its both of the two radiator fans (ll140's).

what happens is if I have set white instant lighting, some of the fans go white, and some go different colors. switching to blue or red causes similar issues. for one fan its just 1-2 led's that don't work (always the same ones) for other fans, all of the LED's seem to now follow instructions. if I switch to white they go blue, switch to red, they go green etc.

pics below

https://imgur.com/a/qLO6ijB

what I have tried:

reinstalling icue. no difference

switching to corsair link: no difference.

Removing all profiles: no difference. the default rainbow wave effect shows LED's not changing correctly.

Switching LED channels on Cpro: no difference.

switching fan placement on RGB fan hub: no change.

Corsair is going to send out a new RGB fan hub. I kind of doubt this will fix it

any help would be great.

I just replaced the LL fans I sent back with the cheap case fans. I think I sent back 3 fans and while they were gone, just added 1 or 2 fans. I didn't do anything extensive over that time, but the computer was still usable.

Corsair will do an RMA where they send you the new items first and then you send back the old ones - they just take a CC number in case you don't send the old stuff back.

So for the wisdom of ancients

I have six fans

4 were not working correctly

1-2 are fine

3-6 are not working

turns out 3 was bad, which caused every fan after it to fail. Thus, 3 bad, meant 4-6 were also not working correctly.

to remedy this, i removed 3 from the RGB fan hub.

I then plugged fan4 into slot3, fan5 into slot4, and fan6 in slot5

Basically, corsair RGB fan hubs work as a chain, if a fan stops working correctly for LED's all OTHER fans below it will also stop working. Of course, they woln't necessarily stop working in the same way. fan 3 only had one dead LED. However, fans 4-6 all had the LED's screwed because of this one LED.

Corsair should be sending me a new fan which should resolve the problem.

So for the wisdom of ancients

I have six fans

4 were not working correctly

1-2 are fine

3-6 are not working

turns out 3 was bad, which caused every fan after it to fail. Thus, 3 bad, meant 4-6 were also not working correctly.

to remedy this, i removed 3 from the RGB fan hub.

I then plugged fan4 into slot3, fan5 into slot4, and fan6 in slot5

Basically, corsair RGB fan hubs work as a chain, if a fan stops working correctly for LED's all OTHER fans below it will also stop working. Of course, they woln't necessarily stop working in the same way. fan 3 only had one dead LED. However, fans 4-6 all had the LED's screwed because of this one LED.

Corsair should be sending me a new fan which should resolve the problem.

Glad to hear that they are working! I can't believe that I missed your original post ... yes, the Corsair fans work in a series and one bad fan can take the rest out. That's repeated on this forum many times and is also listed in the RGB FAQ. The first troubleshoot step for fan lighting not working as expected is to swap fans around. Another tip to note ... if the connector isn't fully plugged in, it can cause issues as well. Make sure that you make a good connection and it snaps in place. Even just a little loose can cause problems.

Archived