The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Enigma0's PC Specs

POST ID # = 703150
Enigma0 Reputation: 10
Default Cannot update from M306 to M311 on Neutron GTX

Title + I have tried in Windows 7 64 and Windows 8 64 on the same machine and have installed all drivers. I also tried on a separate PC running Win 7 64. Both machines have AHCI enabled in bios

The SSD is listed as an SCSI device in SSD Toolbox which doesn't seem quite right but I'm not sure how to change that or where it came from.

What prompted me to update the firmware was a warning that the SSD had a raw read failure of sorts noted in the SMART status.

I performed a fresh re-install of Win 8 64 on the SSD and had all other hard drives unplugged until after I installed all the drivers.

Any help and or additional ideas are appreciated.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 AM

POST ID # = 703204
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

Are the SSDs plugged into the AMD SATA ports?
Have you tried using the MSAHCI drivers instead of the AMD drivers?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Enigma0's PC Specs

POST ID # = 703226

1. yes
2. where would I find those?

Last edited by Enigma0; 03-28-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added image

Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Enigma0's PC Specs

POST ID # = 703232

before: after:

The firmware update still fails even with the storahci.sys driver.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:01 AM

POST ID # = 703291

Is the SSD still seen as a SCSI device in the toolbox?

If so, try different driver version and see if that helps.

Can you also take a screenshot of the error message that is displayed when you try to update the firmware?

Old 03-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Enigma0's PC Specs

POST ID # = 703356

Yes but I also noticed on the SSD Toolbox guide page that the one used in the example is also SCSI so it seems that doesn't matter. The error itself is less than useful but here's the details.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM

POST ID # = 703370

Have you tried a different version of the toolbox?

If you still cannot update the firmware you can submit a ticket and ask Corsair to update the firmware for you.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Enigma0's PC Specs

POST ID # = 703528

I am using the latest version and I don't think they offer previous versions for download.

I have had a ticket open for about a week now and haven't heard anything which is why I decided to open a thread here.

Edit: They did reply 3 days after I opened the ticket but I did not notice any email notifying me. Sounds like I may need to RMA it.

Last edited by Enigma0; 03-31-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 AM
FeniX's PC Specs

POST ID # = 723555
FeniX Reputation: 20

This is so weird! We have a Corsair Neutron 240 (blue one) here, and for second day I am trying to get the firmware updated from M306 to M311 and it always fails no matter what. I tried it on 3 different systems, running either win7x64 or win8.1x64, AHCI, IDE or RAID, with MS drivers or Intel drivers, always the same error ... what a joke it is!

Using SSD Toolbox 1.2, has anybody successfully flashed firmware update from M306 to M311???

Reason why I want to get the firmware updated on this drive (OS drive for UEFI win8.1) at all cost is that the SSD has a problem at cold boot sometimes, it simply isn't present in UEFI/BIOS every few days in morning when user tries booting his computer up, after hitting restart button a few times it shows up and works normally then. Was hoping the firmware update could fix it, but cannot get it complete, update always fails instantly.

Now secure wiping the drive, will see if that helps... annoying.

update:
Secure Wipe did not help at all, fw update still fails instantly, I even tried hot unplugging the drive and replugging it back while it was running as secondary drive thinking it might unlock it or unfreeze. no dice, still update fails.

... but, as the LAST resort I uninstalled the Toolbox 1.2.2 and installed the old 1.0 version, and guess what!!! it updated the firmware successfully! unbelievable!!
hope it helps others.

Last edited by FeniX; 08-19-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 723556
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

For anyone having issues after a failed firmware notification:

1. Remove power and data cable from SSD
2. Wait 30 seconds
3. Reapply power and data cable and restart your machine
4. Rescan your drive with the firmware update tool

Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 AM
FeniX's PC Specs

POST ID # = 723562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
For anyone having issues after a failed firmware notification:

1. Remove power and data cable from SSD
2. Wait 30 seconds
3. Reapply power and data cable and restart your machine
4. Rescan your drive with the firmware update tool
I tried that before. did NOT work.

what worked was the older Toolbox 1.0 version, flashed the drive successfully the first try! You guys should debug your latest Toolbox 1.2.2 asap! it would save lots of time and trouble to so many people ...

anyways, all good here, running M311 firmware now.

I hope my findings help others.

Have a good one Yellow Beard.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 723566
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

This thread is about 6 months old where 1 person had an issue. I don't think this is a widespread issue that requires debugging.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM
FeniX's PC Specs

POST ID # = 723580

well, I can only speak for myself, but judging by own experience with Toolbox 1.2.2 there is something seriously wrong with that software. The fact that I wasted 2 days troubleshooting it and failing every single time means something, and there was nothing wrong with either of Windows systems or drivers either, the culprit was always the Toolbox... hence why the old version worked like a charm the first try...

I don't know how widespread the issue might be, but I'd think it probably covers every Neutron drive with older 306 firmware family (google returned quite a few hits for me on various boards, some from August this year, others from first half of this year), not sure how many of those are out there and can't say how many customers experiencing the issue ended up going through the lengthy RMA process to get it resolved, that is a different matter.

Just saying that a vendor software made to be the only available firmware update tool on market (no alternative for Neutron series) should cover all drives firmware no matter how old and if it doesn't then you should have big red disclaimer on 1.2.2 download page with a link redirecting users to older Toolbox version if they experience trouble with latest one. That's the easiest path to make customers happy, not pushing them around and making jump through the loops of messing with everything else.

Just my personal opinion, YB and it's directed at Corsair Tech Support, not you personally ;)

Old 08-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Enigma0's PC Specs

POST ID # = 723588

Could you by any chance provide a link to the 1.0 toolbox? That would be a big help.

Last edited by Technobeard; 08-19-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 723596
Technobeard Reputation: 68

Don't download files from 3rd party sites. Download it direct from us: http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsa.../CSSDT1000.exe

Closed Thread