Corsair Community

Thank you Corsair for firmware 5.0.3

kofiko

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those differences are really too small to be ultimately perceived by the user.

What's really important overall those slight differences is the management within the drive that we do not get to see that the firmware provides.

That's why many (myself included) were arguing about the loss of TRIM in 5.02

Who said, that 5.03 fixed TRIM, have you verified that?

There is no changelog?

Intentionally they said not to release 5.03 because it does NOT address TRIM and wait for later releases 5.04.

Does it fix TRIM??

I can't agree to any congrats because they "feel" the drive is better now? What the f...

I think the AS SSD pictures are a little confusing. The device-driver seems not to be verified OK (green) on 5.02 and 5.03, plus AS SSD is not reliable. Test it tomorrow again and you have a higher aberration in general than the firmware disparity.

Why is there no changelog??? Do you need to fully internally qualify it before?

The people that maintain the FW-Upgrade-threads said that in the "TRIM not working 5.02"-thread ;)

Well, lets find out ourselfs (INTEL-SSD Toolbox):

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/6718/trimworking.jpg

ATTO:

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5077/atto.jpg

Who said, that 5.03 fixed TRIM, have you verified that?

There is no changelog?

Intentionally they said not to release 5.03 because it does NOT address TRIM and wait for later releases 5.04.

Does it fix TRIM??

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4870/lsi_sandforce_5_series_ssd_firmware_trim_lost_and_found_performance_investigated/index4.html

It clearly says 5.02 (no TRIM) vs 5.03 (with TRIM); not exactly in those words but it's there.

Thanks Corsair support team for this new v5.03 firmware release.

I'm debating whether to update or not. I'm under factory v1.3.3 and everthing seems fine by now (didn't use it that much yet). This is my ATTO benchmark for GT120:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9323/attow.jpg

I guess speeds are all right, but not having 5.03 changelog makes me wonder if I'll get any benefits from it, and knowing "If it's not broke then don't fix it" I'm not sure which path to follow. What do you experts advice me? Stay with "old" v1.3.3 or update to new and "¿improved?" v5.0.3? And btw: Should I keep IRST installed or is it better to get rid of it? (not using RAID mode, just single boot drive)

Kindest Regards and thanks in advance!!!

I have a Force GT 120GB and for now the difference between 5.02 and 5.03 is slight to none when it comes to speed.

But that's considering I have a one week (more or less) old OS install.

Your write speeds show to be slighty faster though. Mine stand at that 500 range line whilst yours are over it.

Other than that the benchmark seems quite the same...

Overall one would think that newer releases improve how the drive works in general... but the obscurity held regarding the information about what issues each FW has and what has been improved, implemented or even removed leaves us with just the option of deciding to upgrade or not; if you get better performance or not... then good or bad for you whatever the case may be.

Sorry for the previous post Wired, did not think it will be "hazardous" content, I said it was "possible" changelog, not verified one, and if I do not misunderstand its from Sandforce itself, which afaik is the firmware's developer, whose better to unveal the changelog if not them...

Anyways, I'll not post it again if it's against rules, kind regards!

How do you know that it works ? The fact that the drive accepts the TRIM command doesn't mean that it also works. 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 had a bug that caused TRIM not to work as it should. 5.0.3 fixed that bug.

Who said that it is a fact that the "5.02 drive" accepts TRIM commands? Any proof-screenshot. The bug is that is does not accept TRIM, wether or not the OS sends them. If it would accept those TRIM commands, that would mean it would work indeed, but it doesn't because it does not.

His TRIM doesn't work, because it does not accept the TRIM commands the operating system sends. Simple as that.

He has no idea of really verifying if TRIM is working, thats another point.

Watch my screenshot (page 1 of this threa) of Intel SSD Toolbox and check your "5.02-drive" once again, then compare it. Does is show 1 or 0 ?

How do you know that it works ? The fact that the drive accepts the TRIM command doesn't mean that it also works. 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 had a bug that caused TRIM not to work as it should. 5.0.3 fixed that bug.

"SSD Life" is showing the status, but maybe I'm wrong ?

Nice review YB! Surprised to see GT perfoms equal/slightly better than GS, I tought GS was way faster than GT series.

Still debating if I should update to v5.03 since v1.3.3 works great for me, would be useful to see a 1.3.3 vs 5.03 round up.

Regards!

• Corsair Employee
If your drive is working there is no reason to do the firmware update, I have three drives that have been on FW 1.3.3 for more than a year and a half and I am not touching them they work fine; still get over 700 MBs read and write on an AMD system.

Your's is a wise advice, and I'll sure will follow it, but I have the feeling that not updating is making me lose some "enhancements" that will make my unit work even better than before. "Theoretically" every new firmware should be better than its previous one...

Thank you.

But my drive is still useless.. (marvell lockups)

Just got a bit slower..

I advise anyone with an X58 board to avoid using the Marvell controller PERIOD. Even though it's spec'd faster than the ICH10-R, they are not very good. You should definitely be using the SSD on the Intel controller.

Archived