The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 01:33 PM

POST ID # = 566485
wtm Reputation: 10

My SSD model is CSSD-F120GB2. Drive has firmware version 2.0.
When trying to use the firmware update tool the drive isn't found at all. I've tried all the workarounds stated on the dedicated thread. To mention few:
-downgraded my ahci drivers to ms versions
-used different live environments ran from usb drive (windows 7 pe etc...)
One thing I haven't tried is total cleaning of the drive, although I highly doubt that this would have anything to do with the firmware update tool to recognizing the drive...
So what I noticed is that using Force series 3 firmware update tool the drive is recognized right away.

So the real question is:
-Can I use force series 3 firmware update utility (Corsair_FieldUpdater_v1.1.exe) to upgrade Force series disk from version 2.0 to 2.4? I know how to select pkg files with that tool, but are the pkg files supported by it?

It really seems on my point of view that the older firmware updater program is badly programmed...

Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 AM
bodvar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 566603
bodvar Reputation: 10

I believe for older SSDs the alternative pkg is needed (different manufacturing process). I have the exact same problem.
Manufacturers generally are quiet on the topic of reduced manufacturing process. The dilemma is that with similar drives of different manufacturing processes, the drive with the oldest tech has the best potential for a long life (more write-cycles). Newest technology brings cost-savings (more GB per die area). I guess Corsair want to omit the whole debate.
My drive works fine with version 2.0 so no need to upgrade other than curiosity.

Egil

Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM

POST ID # = 566609
wtm Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodvar View Post
I believe for older SSDs the alternative pkg is needed (different manufacturing process). I have the exact same problem.
Manufacturers generally are quiet on the topic of reduced manufacturing process. The dilemma is that with similar drives of different manufacturing processes, the drive with the oldest tech has the best potential for a long life (more write-cycles). Newest technology brings cost-savings (more GB per die area). I guess Corsair want to omit the whole debate.
My drive works fine with version 2.0 so no need to upgrade other than curiosity.

Egil
Well I would be satisfied too if my PC wouldn't make bsod every time it wakes from sleep. I've tried all the tricks (which are listed on these forums and others, except RMA) with no luck solving it. It really seems that the problem is the ssd or the firmware in it. What I'm going to do next is to install linux distro on it (debian) and try if it's more stable with this disk. (according to other users it really isn't :) My current OS has been win7 sp1 64-bit.

Is it possible to get your money back if I file the RMA? Experience anybody?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 PM
icsterm's PC Specs

POST ID # = 590321
icsterm Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to icsterm

so, is the firmware released yet?
I'm still stuck on 2.0

Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 AM

POST ID # = 590361
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

Firmware 2.4 is here
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=100449

Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM
icsterm's PC Specs

POST ID # = 590439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted View Post
Firmware package not found error.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM
icsterm's PC Specs

POST ID # = 590440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
It has nothing to do with "fair". We're aware of the issue and working with SandForce to correct it.
Any updates?

Well, it seems 'silent' is the name for this...Worst user support ever.
At least someone from Corsair should just say that Sandforce is not interested on older SSD's and no update is planned.

Last edited by icsterm; 07-18-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM

POST ID # = 593607
fatduke Reputation: 10

Same probleme here!

I have :

2 F120GB2 updated 1.1 to 2.0 successfully with alternative FW (Serial starts with 103)

1 F120GB2 updated 2.0 to 2.4 updated successfully (Serial starts with 104)

Now impossible to update the SSD updated to 2.0 to 2.4 (FW not found for this drive)

Corsair should work on an alternative FW 2.4

Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 593656
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

When you do the update there are a few things that have to be in place or it will not detect the drive or may it detect but actually the update will not install.

1. The SSD cannot be a BOOT Drive with this Update, it will have to be attached as second drive is a Boot able system booting from another HDD.

2. The SSD you want to update will have to be on a controller set to AHCI or it will not detect the drive.

3. When you run the Firmware update application you have to right click and Run as Administrator or it will not give the application direct access to Hardware.
This is a Window limitation.

If it fails Please try it in another system that meets these requirements.
If you cannot get the drive to update we are sorry but at this time all we can offer would be to submit an RMA and we will have to update the drive for you.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 07-31-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 PM

POST ID # = 593668

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
When you do the update there are a few things that have to be in place or it will not detect the drive or may it detect but actually the update will not install.

1. The SSD cannot be a BOOT Drive with this Update, it will have to be attached as second drive is a Boot able system booting from another HDD.

2. The SSD you want to update will have to be on a controller set to AHCI or it will not detect the drive.

3. When you run the Firmware update application you have to right click and Run as Administrator or it will not give the application direct access to Hardware.

This is a Window limitation.

Already done sir and as i explained i have 3 SSD :

2 SSD were at firmware 1.1 and have been updated to firmware 2.0 (alternative firmware) without any problems.

1 SSD was at firmware 2.0 and have been updated to firmware 2.4 without any problems.

The 3 SSD are detected in the update tool. I updated the SSD 1 by 1 but i had a problem when i tried to update the 2 SSD to 2.4 (Firmware for this drive not found in package).

Perhaps the problem is that the 2 SSD have been updated with an alternative firmware and now they need to be updated with an alternative 2.4 too.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 593670

What drive do you have and can you post a screen hot of the drive and the package you selected please?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM

POST ID # = 593680

SSD 1 : 1.1 to 2.0 = ok
2.0 to 2.4 = Firmware for this drive not found in package

SSD 2 : same issue as SSD 1

SSD 3 : 2.0 to 2.4 = ok

Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 593787

I would try it again but swap the S-ATA port to the port where you updated the one you have at 2.4. If that fails then I am sorry but we would only be able to RMA the drives.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM

POST ID # = 594182

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
I would try it again but swap the S-ATA port to the port where you updated the one you have at 2.4. If that fails then I am sorry but we would only be able to RMA the drives.
Thank you for your answer

I already tried sir but if you check the hotscreen of "icsterm" on page 1, this dude has the same problem as me and the serial number of his SSD is almost the same like mine.

I really think that SSDs which the serial number starts with 103xxx can not be updated to 2.4 because I have an SSD which the number starts with 104xxx and I was able to update it without any issue to the 2.4

Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 594268

I am sorry about that but I have no information on that either way. I would suggest if you have a problem with your drive that you think a Firmware update may fix that you use the link on the left and request an RMA.