The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 538384
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarma View Post
No news about a linux firmware upgrade software?
I dont use win7 at home, neither at work.
Not at this time. Also, it does not have to be Windows 7 per se. And, you could always try one of the Live CD utilities such as Hiren's etc.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 AM

POST ID # = 538530
xdarma Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
Not at this time. Also, it does not have to be Windows 7 per se. And, you could always try one of the Live CD utilities such as Hiren's etc.
Thank you for answer.
After a simple search: UBCD4Win seem to need an original windows cd to build itself and Hiren doesn't seem fully legal. This way looks difficult for me.
Much easier for me is to boot a live linux like Knoppix or Sysresccd, download the updater and run it with the ssd not in use. And much safer too.
Another way is something like Avira: Corsair builds a minimal linux live cd with a simple GUI with few options: update firmware, secure erase, etc..
Quote:
That makes unavailability of linux tool acceptable for me. Thanks a lot for answers, I will decide between you and whitened+censored company after I find out who provides better firmware and fixes problems faster.
++

A "marketing" point is that often a linux user manages more computers, in my case I manage around 7 pc for work or for other people. Why miss a chance? ;-)

I dont want to bother you, are just some suggestions.
Thanks.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 PM
reflexing's PC Specs

POST ID # = 540564
reflexing Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarma View Post
Thank you for answer.
After a simple search: UBCD4Win seem to need an original windows cd to build itself and Hiren doesn't seem fully legal. This way looks difficult for me.
Much easier for me is to boot a live linux like Knoppix or Sysresccd, download the updater and run it with the ssd not in use. And much safer too.
Another way is something like Avira: Corsair builds a minimal linux live cd with a simple GUI with few options: update firmware, secure erase, etc..
Do you realize that you can legally use Windows for trial period?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495

After realizing there's no way to update firmware on my computer running Linux I'd updated my firmware using this Windows trial, it worked like a charm.

I suggest Corsair to build small live media using this Windows trial offer.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541060
Synbios Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to Synbios

The problem is Corsair cannot bundle Windows products, you have to acquire them yourself. Thanks for the link though, that should be useful to a lot of people.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Morganol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541149
Morganol Reputation: 10

It is really a shame on Corsair for not supplying a bootable iso for the updater. Or DOS compatible updater. Or Linux compatible updater.

Now i spent time downloading and installing the Win7 trial linked in above post, and have trouble with that too. Yes Microsoft have a a partitioning tool, but it lacks many function and fail to tell constraints, but refers to unable to find driver, and tells to read error log for details. What error log?! On third attempt after deleting a couple partitions (my working linux system...) it finally installed. Uses a nonoptimal graphics driver, but main problem is it can not find a driver for network interface, and tells me to connect to Microsoft update. What a joke! Linux installers i know work much better and even the Fedora 16 beta live USB is just to plug in and everything including graphics and internet just works immediately.

What a difference! - Even Linux beta grade systems works *far* better and more user friendly than this crap! "Windows 7 Enterprise"?! What a sad joke... Enter Linux.

OK, i reformat a USB stick to a filesystem Win7 understands and transfer files manually from another machine. ( Every computer here at work (and home) runs Linux (most Mandriva) since some years - and there are reasons for that; above is just an example. )

Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 541158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganol View Post
It is really a shame on Corsair for not supplying a bootable iso for the updater. Or DOS compatible updater. Or Linux compatible updater.. )
We cannot generate a bootable ISO for the loader. The software belongs to SandForce. That type of updater will have to come from them.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Morganol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541711
Idea

Try http://www.google.se/search?q=sandfo...rmware+updater

So why should Corsair in particular be unable to do this?

SandForce would only be happy to help you make tools that drive their market!
( I f not, they are stupid ) Have you asked?

Then talk so some people behind a nice bootable rescue system, (my favourite is http://sysresccd.org which have a lot of tools for partitioning, imaging, whatever) and ask if you may use that as a base, and you go from being the worst to best supporting SSD manufacturer

Now i managed to minimise the cute little update tool environment called Windows 7 to a partition of only 17GB. Why would i accept a update tool to use 15% of my disk??

(OK i can use that space for swap, and keep that Microsoft content on an external backup drive as an image file only to load for updating but that is a hassle, and most people would not accept such struggle!)

Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 541751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganol View Post
So why should Corsair in particular be unable to do this?
Did you not read the post above?

Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Morganol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541816

I admit i do not understand:
You wrote "The software belongs to SandForce"
But i see ******** delivering update linux tools for sandforce chips?

Last edited by Wired; 11-21-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: don't go around the filter

Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 541820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
We cannot generate a bootable ISO for the loader. The software belongs to SandForce. That type of updater will have to come from them.
I was not speaking about our competitors or how they do things. Please read the thread if you are going to criticize us.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM

POST ID # = 542883
xdarma Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexing View Post
you can legally use Windows for trial period?
Thanks for the information.
I have solved using another computer. One of my friends leave his pc to me for a minor hardware upgrade during the weekend. So, after the creation of a raw image as emergency backup in a safe disk, I have connected my ssd to a win7 computer.
The upgrade was successful. Is a little sad for a linux user to use windows for such operations. But win7 tooks only 4 bsod and 5 reboot before detection of the new disk, so I'm not very disappointed ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganol
Then talk so some people behind a nice bootable rescue system, (my favourite is http://sysresccd.org which have a lot of tools for partitioning, imaging, whatever)
Me too, installed on a usbkey. No other proprietary software needed and works with every disk/ssd. And there is even firefox to browse the internet. :-D

Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

POST ID # = 548417
ok67 Reputation: 10

I am planing to boy a SSD disk for my Linux computer, but I am afraid that it will not be any Corsair disk. However it will be from a competitor that can provide me with the necessary software too upgrade the FW under Linux if needed.

Corsair loses some sales since the don't have an update tool for Linux. The question is if the lost sales are that many that making an update tool for Linux would be worth the investment, either for Corsair or from the maker of the chips.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:37 PM
gingerbeardman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 549352
gingerbeardman Reputation: 10

Has anybody tried updating the firmware using the Linux hdparm --fwdownload directive?

http://linuxreviews.org/man/hdparm/

Reports of its use to update the firmware in another drive:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linu...oweredge/38418

See this thread:
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102242

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 12-22-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: new single page usenet link