Corsair Community

[PROBLEM] Corsair LL120 mm

HaTe_87

hi everyone, my name is Daniele and I am here for a problem with LL120 rgb fans.

Description

I have 6 LL120 fans (3 on the front, 2 on the top and one on the back)

for a couple of days I had noticed glitches on the rear fan.

I tried to invert the fan n ° 6 (rear) with the n ° 5 (second fan of the top) and I have thus noticed that the glich is only in one part of the external ring of the fan 5.

I tried to swap channels on the node, but unfortunately nothing to do. I removed and put icue back, I re-flashed the firmware on the node. NOTHING.

now I ask you.

can I do something or is it the fan to throw?

Ciao Daniele!

I think you need to go through a deep fan testing to watch out a possibly faulty fan.

Be aware that RGB fans work in chain, and a faulty fan can't light up correctly (and that's the easier case) or light up good but be unable top pass the RGB signal to the next one in the chain, so the following fan acts quirky but it's not faulty.

If I understand what you wrote, speaking of RGB connections you should have 6 fans => RGB Hub => Ligthing Node Pro => motherboard, right?

If so my advice is (remember to plug/unplug cables with pc POWERED OFF):

- unplug all RGB fan cables

- plug fan 1 into port 1 and look if it lights up correctly

- if it's ok plug fan 2 into port 2 and look if it lights up correctly

- if also fan 2 is ok, swap the fans and look again

- if boths light up correctly again this means you have 2 good fans (meaning able to light up correctly for themselves and to pass signal to the next one)

- now plug the good fans into ports 1 and 3, then plug another fan in port 2 and look

- repeate untill you find some odd lighting

This should allow you to identify a faulty fan. There could also be the case the RGB Hub has a faulty port, but it should be a rare case.

Let us know!

Baio

Edited by Baio

Ciao Daniele!

I think you need to go through a deep fan testing to watch out a possibly faulty fan.

Be aware that RGB fans work in chain, and a faulty fan can't light up correctly (and that's the easier case) or light up good but be unable top pass the RGB signal to the next one in the chain, so the following fan acts quirky but it's not faulty.

If I understand what you wrote, speaking of RGB connections you should have 6 fans => RGB Hub => Ligthing Node Pro => motherboard, right?

If so my advice is (remember to plug/unplug cables with pc POWERED OFF):

- unplug all RGB fan cables

- plug fan 1 into port 1 and look if it lights up correctly

- if it's ok plug fan 2 into port 2 and look if it lights up correctly

- if also fan 2 is ok, swap the fans and look again

- if boths light up correctly again this means you have 2 good fans (meaning able to light up correctly for themselves and to pass signal to the next one)

- now plug the good fans into ports 1 and 3, then plug another fan in port 2 and look

- repeate untill you find some odd lighting

This should allow you to identify a faulty fan. There could also be the case the RGB Hub has a faulty port, but it should be a rare case.

Let us know!

Baio

hello Biao, thanks for your kind reply.

The proof that you indicate to me has already been made.

I was having problems with wind 6 (last in the chain).

I reversed port 5 to 6 on the hub.

in this way the fan 6 works perfectly. the only problem that remains at this point is on 5.

I am attaching a short video showing the defect.

[ame]https://youtu.be/w7BtGQl--Q8[/ame]

in my humble opinion, I believe that a led is dying. I try to understand if this is so and if something more can be done to understand or if I have to change the "walking dead" fan

hello Biao, thanks for your kind reply.

The proof that you indicate to me has already been made.

I was having problems with wind 6 (last in the chain).

I reversed port 5 to 6 on the hub.

in this way the fan 6 works perfectly. the only problem that remains at this point is on 5.

I am attaching a short video showing the defect.

https://youtu.be/w7BtGQl--Q8

in my humble opinion, I believe that a led is dying. I try to understand if this is so and if something more can be done to understand or if I have to change the "walking dead" fan

I can't understand if you simply swapped fans 5 and 6 (assuming this numbers refer to the RGB Hub ports) leaving all other fan in their place or you made all the procedure.

If it's the second you probably have a faulty fan. Try to RMA it if it's suitable.

Baio

I can't understand if you simply swapped fans 5 and 6 (assuming this numbers refer to the RGB Hub ports) leaving all other fan in their place or you made all the procedure.

If it's the second you probably have a faulty fan. Try to RMA it if it's suitable.

Baio

hello Biao, thanks for the support.

I performed the procedure you described, starting with one fan at a time.

unfortunately I continue to find problems on fan 5 (second of the top) and if I connect the rear fan as 6 (i.e. following the order from the bottom up and from front to back), it flickers all over (as if alternating 2 different profiles) ; while if the rear one is connected on port 5 and the fan 5 on port 6, only 1 led of this fan flickers and the rear fan is perfect.

I keep reading (my bad english) but I think we're doing some mess with numbers...

Let's make the point... 6 fans, 4 work for sure, 2 seem faulty, let's call them A and B, just not to create confusion with the RGB Hub's ports.

It could be a faulty port of the RGB Hub, even it's a rare thing.

Try to plug into port 6 a fan that works for sure and see if it acts quirky (remember that RGB Hub ports must be filled in order without skipping any port). This test should be done using all good fans in ports 1-5, but this would mean you have 2 spare fans avaliable for testing... not easy. But it's just to see if something changes.

And if you connect fan A or B in port 1, the fans from 2 to 6 how act?

Other question: do you use any SATA splitter to power RGB Hub or LNP? If so, get rid of it and plug the SATA cable directly to the PSU.

Baio

I keep reading (my bad english) but I think we're doing some mess with numbers...

Let's make the point... 6 fans, 4 work for sure, 2 seem faulty, let's call them A and B, just not to create confusion with the RGB Hub's ports.

It could be a faulty port of the RGB Hub, even it's a rare thing.

Try to plug into port 6 a fan that works for sure and see if it acts quirky (remember that RGB Hub ports must be filled in order without skipping any port). This test should be done using all good fans in ports 1-5, but this would mean you have 2 spare fans avaliable for testing... not easy. But it's just to see if something changes.

And if you connect fan A or B in port 1, the fans from 2 to 6 how act?

Other question: do you use any SATA splitter to power RGB Hub or LNP? If so, get rid of it and plug the SATA cable directly to the PSU.

Baio

Hi Bay.

I think I have solved the riddle.

I slightly increased the vcore (I had made a slight oc), to give more stability to the system; and the problem seems to have disappeared.

I will monitor the situation in the next 2 or 3 days and give you feedback for posterity.