Corsair Community

Asrock 990fx - cmx8gx3m2a1866c9 not compatible?

Percy

Hi everyone,

I've been having BSOD problems for a long time with my cmx8gx3m2a1866c9 Corsair Vengeance 8gb sticks.I was wondering if anyone can confirm they can be made to work correctly together with my current hardware,or if they are a no go altogether?

Is there a way to configure this ram to run properly using this motherboard?

Corsair Vengeance cmx8gx3m2a1866c9 2x4gb

AMD FX 8120

Asrock 990 fx series 3

Coolermaster GX lite 600W

ATI R9 270

Zalman z11 case

Coolermaster hyper T4 heatsink

Clean Install windows 8.1

Initially they came with an Fx 8120 and Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 as part of a combo and ,as I remember they worked for a time with no issues.After a clean install of win 7 these ram sticks started to throw out Bsod to the point that I got by using a cheap Kingston 4gb stick

Recently the motherboard died and I replaced it with an asrock 990fx series 3 after reading that a few other people had paired this board with the Corsair Vengeance mentioned to good effect.

However Having installed the new motherboard,new heatsink,new thermal paste,clean Win 8 install, and tried using the ram,I again find a series of BSOD relating to Memory_ Management once again.

I checked on the list of compatible vendors and this set of ram is not listed,however there are a lot of people (from support threads)who have not had issues using them together.

I did notice that when I checked the bios,the ram was listed as running at 1333Mhz.Is there an easy way to increase this speed without overclocking my CPU ( which probably caused the early demise of my previous motherboard)?

I've spent a lot of time ( and money replacing everything apart from the cpu and these ram sticks) and I'd be grateful for any assistance.When the ram is not BSOD me to an early grave,my system runs like a dream and sometimes gives me up to 24 hrs between crashing.

Many thanks,

Percy

What stopcodes do you keep getting at your BSODs? Is it always 1A?

Have you tried enabling the memories embedded profile for its specifications? The newer ASRock AMD models should have a workaround to enable XMP support.

It that does not help, you could also try to test both modules individually.

Hi again,

I tried using the XMP setting in the bios and still I get BSOD.

I've tried to run the ram at 1333,1600,and 1866 and all give me a bsod.

I tried to run once stick at a time and still I get BSOD.

All the Bsod are Memory_management or Irql_not_less_or_equal,so 1a and 0a crash codes.

There is some talk of having to overclock the amd 8120 to make the ram stable or something,but I've spent ages reading up and trying out all the suggestions mentioned,and they all end up with BSOD.

When I use my cheap 1333 Kingston ram I have yet to get a Bsod at all.Someone mentioned that either the processor or the ram is faulty - would it be possible that both sticks are flakey?

Having replaced my entire computer to find the fault,either the ram is defective or not compatible.

Archived