Corsair Community

Corsair H50 Overheating problems

Adamkpost

Hello,

I'm new to the forums because I'm having Heat issues with my H50.

I'm a big fan of Corsair and I haven't had any issues in the past with Corsair products that I've purchased. Just to preface things.

I have a Core i7 950 3.06 OC'd to 4.1ghz stable, vcore at 1.5v (because that was the lowest voltage I could go to get the OS to boot). I have an intake fan in the front of my case, 2 120mm intake fans on the side one is a scythe 130 cfm and the other is the stock fan, 1 140mm exhaust on the top of the case.

At idle the cpu sits anywhere from 25-35c depending on the room temp. which is usually 70-75f. Those idle temps are fine, but as soon as I click on Prime95 the temp instantly shoots up to 84c and holds. Those results are with the stock fan, stock thermal grease, running an intake setup. I went by Corsair's instructions in the install video and followed them exactly.

So, I thought maybe the fan wasn't moving enough air. I swapped it out with a 130 cfm 120mm scythe fan. Same results even at full blast with the fan. The radiator was cool to the touch, the pump was warm. Then I thought maybe the OC is too high, so I brought the clock down to stock and let the cpu cool off for 15 minutes. The results were worse, with prime95 on the cpu went from 70c at the start of p95 to 87c before I decided to stop the test. So, it wasn't my Overclock as far as I could tell.

I plugged the pump into my fan controller to see if the pump was malfunctioning. It runs at 1340-1360 rpm which is normal based on what I've read, so that wasn't the problem. Then I tried a different thermal grease, Zalman ZM-STG2 and applied it with a center dot (I don't know if that's the best method, and I'm willing to try another method, but I figured why not try something different). I gave it 2 days to cure before load testing. Same results. 84c and holding on Prime95.

I don't know what else to do. I think I've tried just about everything. including switching the side fans to exhaust to relieve excess heat in the case, but nothing seems to work. Do I have a defective product? Maybe a bad batch?

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I think your issue may be the volts your giving it , 1.5 volts is much too much , intel max vcore is 1.375 , have you tried bring the voltage back down to standard ? , if you have perhaps the chip is already fried :(: .

I think your issue may be the volts your giving it , 1.5 volts is much too much , intel max vcore is 1.375 , have you tried bring the voltage back down to standard ? , if you have perhaps the chip is already fried :(: .

Thanks for the response. I started at 1.275 and worked my way up in .25 incriments to 1.5 to get the OS to boot at 4.1ghz. Though I never received a warning from the bios about the voltages being beyond max recommended range. I will take note of that and look into it.

What application are you using to get the CPU Temp?

Thanks for the response. I'm using Speedfan and Realtemp. Both show the same results with a ~1c difference.

Update: I played with the voltages, and the absolute lowest I could go was 1.425v on the vcore. Temps were better but still not where I would like them to be. On Prime95 temps started at 62c and ended at 84-87c at the end of each test. Then the next test would start and the temp cycle would repeat 62c - 84c.

I'm not sure if that's normal, but I don't like that the temps still go up into the mid to high 80s, albeit slowly.

Update: I played with the voltages, and the absolute lowest I could go was 1.425v on the vcore. Temps were better but still not where I would like them to be. On Prime95 temps started at 62c and ended at 84-87c at the end of each test. Then the next test would start and the temp cycle would repeat 62c - 84c.

I'm not sure if that's normal, but I don't like that the temps still go up into the mid to high 80s, albeit slowly.

I think your temps are fine. The i7 is an oven. I'm running a 965 EE o/c to 4009.3 with vcore of 1.42. Prime95 will hit 90 degrees. Remember, that under normal conditions, you'll never hit anything like Prime95.

You might check the official H50/H70 owner's club. The members there have posted lots of useful info. http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/612436-official-corsair-h50-h70-club-1825.html

I think your temps are fine. The i7 is an oven. I'm running a 965 EE o/c to 4009.3 with vcore of 1.42. Prime95 will hit 90 degrees. Remember, that under normal conditions, you'll never hit anything like Prime95.

Duly noted, but...I'm still puzzled as to why my temps are 20-30c more then others with higher OCs. Especially when my work space is always kept cool for video editing/rendering. I can see +or- 10c but not 20-30.

Please install the software that came with your MB and post a screen shot of the CPU Temp.

You're referring to the temperature monitoring software for my motherboard correct?

I'll install it and post a screenshot.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/FINISHFIRSTALWAYS/IdleTemps.jpg

Idle temps today

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/FINISHFIRSTALWAYS/Loadtemps3minutesin.jpg

Load temps before I decided to cut it off.

• Corsair Employee
You cannot run Speedfan and the PC-Probe software at the same time, look at your MB Temp it shows -60 Deg C which is impossible. Please try it again and do not run Speed fan at the same time as PC-Probe and check the BIOS version and that you have the latest Version of PC-Probe.

Archived