Corsair Community

Corsair Raptor HS40 7.1 USB Gaming Headset not working or registering

Squashed

Last Christmas I was given a Corsair Raptor HS40 gaming headset. I've had it for about 2 months, and have mostly enjoyed the product and would recommend it. However today the device stopped working randomly and my computer will not register it. Neither the headphones or the microphone work, and it stopped working randomly today, while it was working fine last night. I have tried all of the USB ports as well as tried to use it on my old laptop, which didn't register it either which leads me to believe that it is a problem with the headset and not the computer. When plugged in, the blue light on the cable lights up, but while normally the mute button could be pressed to turn the light red, it stays blue. While I play enjoy playing games, I do not know a lot about tech and am very confused by this and do not know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

If Windows does not see the headset when plugged in, it could be a bad headset.

Can you open Device Manager. There should be a error listed in one of the tress which is related to the headset. If so, can you right click the device >properties>general tab>copy_paste the device status here?

Also put in a support ticket to get the headset replaced. I'm not exactly sure whether you have the receipt or not, but if you can get it, it will be best to do so as this is usually needed to confirm the warranty status.

https://corsair.secure.force.com/

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately as the computer does not recognise the headset, it does not come up here. Both of these options show that there is no problem however. http://imgur.com/humLXvU

I don't have the receipt or box, and it was bought from a retailer. I'll wait another day and if this is not fixed I'll put in a ticket to hopefully get a replacement. Once again, thanks.

It doesn't look like the headset may even be recognised as its a USB device. It should have its own separate entry in Device Manager.

Open Devices and Printers (Control Panel) and see whether or not the headset is seen there with a warning icon or something similar.

I would suggest you ask for the receipt for warranty as it will be needed for a warranty replacement. Unless an exception can be made but this will be up to Corsair's discretion.

I was having the same problem with my sons month old headset. It's been driving me up the wall as suddenly and for no apparent reason, it wasn't registering as a device at all, but the blue lights were on.

Thanks to this forum, I just installed the update as below

http://softwaredownloads.corsair.com/Files/Gaming-Headsets/CorsairHeadsetSetup_Release_2.0.37.msi.zip

Then the headset appeared again and I was able to select them as playback and record device

• 6 months later...

This is exactly what's wrong with mine... I purchased mine from PC world in the UK around 4 months ago i think. i have no box or receipt.... This is sudden as it was working perfectly fine last night and this morning! >:(

Anyone found a fix for this yet....

i would assume no. i have literally just had the same happen to me just now. the error showing

"device descriptor request failed"

given the number of people having these issues, Corsair should have recalled this product, and about now its getting close to total incompetence that this product is still being sold knowing that it is breaking for a lot of people within 3-4 months

• 5 months later...
Anyone found a solution to this yet? This has to be the worst headset ever. Ive already gotten one replaced by amazon and I am not even sure if I would get it replaced again because of the constant humming and interference people get from me when I am playing online

• 1 month later...
Hi Folks. I joined this forum for EXACTLY the same reason....HS40 stopped working and device manager has exclamation mark . Properties says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" "Needs troubleshooting" (No solutions).....this is the ONLY headset i have had fail EVER!! Not a great advertisement for Corsair who's clients tend tom spend a lot of money on enhanced quality components :-(

• 1 month later...

I got 4 days of use out of my headset before it died...i'm very disappointed.

If i cant receive a replacement headset from Corsair i'm afraid I will abandon corsair products.

I bought mine from argos in Ireland, argos had no warranty on it, however I have retained the box and receipt, and the box says there is a two year warranty.

I will be submitting a support ticket.

• 5 months later...

Archived